• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fear of jumping (being starteled by voices and sounds)

F

Footy Fan

This is gonna sound really stupid but I have a terrible fear of being starteled by sounds.... any sounds. I just dont know whats wrong with me. Everytime I go to the cinema or watch a show or speech or something I get this fear that whenever the person (doing the speech or on the tele or whatever) starts a new sentace that I will be starteled or "jump". I know it sounds really stupid but its horrible. I cant enjoy anything anymore. I feel so embaressed telling anyone about this. Is there anyone out there who can help me? i feel so alone. Ive been fighting this alone for so long. Is there any advice anyone can offer me that might help? Ive considered seeing a phsycologist but id feel too embaressed to tell somebody about this (even though they are confidential and all). I hope what i said makes sense. Please ask me if there is something you dont understand or you want me to explain. Please Im desperate

keepsafe

keepsafe

:welcome:Footy Fan

I don;t know what the cause is for you feeling like this - Generally when I get this it is because of a state of high anxiety, where you think that something bad is going to happen all the time.

Please try and visit a G.P. - Have you got anything that you are worrying about constantly?

KS

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Hi footy fan, this was one of the reasons I stopped going out on my own. If somebody even walked past me I'd jump out of my skin and woe betide anyone who actually spoke to me!! It always ends up with me having a terrible headache because I'v got myself so worked up!! I'd go to see your GP firstly and tell them how you're feeling. I used to take proprananol for this and it worked for a little while. Anyway, just wanted to tell you you're not alone in this.

F

Footy Fan

Thankyou so much for your replies both of you. Another one of my fears was that I might be the only one with this problem and that people would think it was silly.

The problem is Im terrified that Ill jump and get really embaressed about it. Its so bad that I anicipate jumping all the time. I sometimes try to hide it by shuffling in my seat or whatever but I cant keep doing this as it looks weird and makes me seem as if i need the toilet or something! Ive tried taking my mind off it or trying to forget about it but it never works.

Anything I can do to help myself?
Thankyou again for your replies. I really though I was the only one

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Footie Fan,

I think maybe a trip to your doctors would help, they will be able to help you more. Keep posting though, I don;t have anything to suggest as I take medication and can still get like that, usually when I am feeling very stressed about things. Have you got any thing you can concentrate on that makes you feel better, things you can do?
KS

F

Footy Fan

well shuffling never helps. ive tried looking away from the screen (ill use the cinema as my example) but it only seems to make it worse. i try consentrating on something else but that doesnt work and only makes it worse. only thing is if i do do the 2 things i mentioned above then i wouldnt be able to enjoy the movie. i just wanna be able to enjoy things and not have to worry about it at all
i cant stress how glad i am to find that i am not alone. is there a specific name for this type of anxiety? might help to look it up or to say to the doctor if/when i see him

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
For me, concentrating on something else just makes it worse!! I don't know any specific label on it - just tell ur gp how u feel then they can decide how best to treat it.:hug::flowers:

F

Footy Fan

what was it like when you went to see your GP?

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
well, I've been having probs for years so I'd been about other stuff before the panic attacks started. Just start off by saying that you think you're having panic attacks and tell him exactly what you said on here, he/she should know what you're talking about. Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling.

F

Footy Fan

i suppose at least i know im not the only one who has this kind of problem

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Are you stressed out about anything just now? In saying that I don't need to be stressed out to have panic attacks - they just creep up on me!!:)

F

Footy Fan

no i dont seem to be stressed about anything in perticular. this whole thing started about 2 years ago or more. not exactly sure how though. it just sorta started to creep into my life. now it just takes over everything i enjoy. i have a terrible fear of dogs because of their bark, it always makes me jump. i just want it all to stop. ive been hoping it would just go away for a long time now

Q

quality factor

what was it like when you went to see your GP?
Sometimes when I've felt really anxious about seeing the GP and worried about what to say, I've found the best thing that helps me is to write down what it is I'm feeling and give that him/her to read. It is usually good for getting the ball rolling. You could print out your posts.

F

Footy Fan

thats funny, i was thinking of doing the exact same thing. thankyou everyone for helping me. i could never go through this alone. ive endured it for too long now and i think 2 years is long enough!

:grouphug:

Q

quality factor

I hope you get the problem some way sorted, two years is a long time.
Best of luck, let us know how you get on.
QF.