Fear of Highway Driving

H

Homebody

I've only posted once before, and basically tried to excuse clinging to my fear of travel because of practical obstacles, and obligations to others.

Despite my excuses, I hate to be That Person. My obligations have lightened up a bit, and I'm working on chipping away the obstacles. One good thing - I was finally able to buy a new-to-me car that I can take anywhere and be reasonably certain of driving back.

So, of course, driving anxieties popped up immediately. On top of the existing anxieties, which did not decrease.

Part of this was caused by 1-1/2 years of being forced to avoid freeway driving, only because of my old truck's infirmities. Part of this is because 21st Century cars are new to me. Frankly, they feel fragile on top of weird. Also, this thing is spendy (to me), and I'm afraid of damage. On top of that, driving anxieties have come and gone ever since I first got behind a wheel.

But I think part (no, not all) of my current issues are purely practical and fixable.

Lane changes and high speeds are huge issues for me.

BUT ... after doing research on cars and driving skills (and perusing the car's manual), I learned that my interior setup was far from ideal. Guidelines for setting up side mirrors have changed in the last 20 years, and my standard setup does not work great in this car. Same is true for basic ergonomics.

Just learning about these things eased my anxiety (somewhat). Tomorrow is my first chance to take the new car to a nearby park - via surface streets - and work on the adjustments I need so the car will fit me ... instead of me trying to fit it.

After that, I'll still need to work on me, as well. I hope-hope-hope that continued exposure will whittle things down. Wish me luck! Bestest Vibes to all of you!

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

That’s going to be your challenge but you will succeed.
The thrill of driving never gets old 😁. I don’t do it now since I have family and I am more mature. I once, well not really once, drove my car at a speed of 130 miles per hour. The adrenaline rush was crazy. I could’ve gone to jail if I was caught. No more of that. My son will get upset with me 😊.

Wishing you the best of luck.

H

Homebody

Oh, thank you! Upon reflection, I remembered how I'd lessened my driving anxieties in the past. Hope I've retained the ability to use those techniques now.

So ... I'm 62. Chronologically (euphemistically?) mature, but striving not to become overly mature, ummm, prematurely.

I've never really been into the adrenaline rush. My thing has always been going from Point A to Point B.

That said ... I used to be able to employ a "bat out of h-ll" mode when need be. I was never reckless or illegal, but frequently these Bay Area freeways require it!

Now? I find it hard to go above 65, even in a 70 zone. Not good.

H

Homebody

Soooo ... did NOT make it yesterday. If I don't make it today, will look into getting some more help. Not that much help is available here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Phobia Forum 10
M Phobia Forum 6
Z Phobia Forum 49
cmjanuc Phobia Forum 6
mischief Phobia Forum 4