• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fear of heights debilitates me

R

Rocknroll540

I guess I'll just make this one short. For as long as I can remember, I've been terrified of heights. As in panicking, unable to move, dizziness, etc. It debilitates me from being able to work a decent job. Being a man in our society, without access to college, I'm expected to get a trade. But all trades I've looked into involve climbing ladders in one way or another. My fear of heights is so bad, I can't even be 6 feet off the ground without my body going into shock. I wish I could do something, but there isn't much I can do. And no one I know feels any sympathy for my plight.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Would plumbing involve heights? Electrician? I don't do well with them either, the more i climb, the closer i come to my knees. It is a physical problem rather than psychological as far as i know. I might be wrong.

There must be millions of people with the same problem.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I'm the same way with the fear of heights. Just a few feet up on a ladder and I start sweating and having tunnel vision. I used to be able to at least climb a rock climbing wall with not much issue, but now I can't even do that. The only way that I know of to get over it is by doing it though.

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

Vehicle Mechanic is a good trade and doesn't involve ladders. There's platforms and pits for oil changes. Go check out a mechanic shop and see if you can handle that. Make sure it's not diesel mechanics like tractor trailer trucks. Those are easily a few feet off the ground.