• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Fear of heartbeat, and fear of sleeping because of it

B

brahiim

hello
i have the same phobia , i feel terrified when i feel my heartbeat especially when i lay down, just the idea of having a small muscle moving inside me terrifies me, do anyone have a solution to help me cope with this :low:

J

Joseph97

You seem to have a Cardiophobia, an anxiety disorder that focuses on fear of heart issues. Usually we ignore pupitations or chest sensations but not us who have a phobia of our heart dying or anything abnormal happening. I have that same issue but its best to learn about how the body works and why your actually have that fear its normal for humans to fear death even deep down the strongest people are afraid of life being over thats natural but at some point you got your mind in a cycle of being afraid you'd either die or maybe your heart would explode. Usually not likely to happen but that doesn't mean the feeling and anxiety your haven't is not real it just means you are safe and your fear is making you overall concerned about your heart beat (make sure to see a doctor if you have any chest or heart concerns then if they rule out health then please see a professional it can save you years of suffering)

J

Joseph97

hello
i have the same phobia , i feel terrified when i feel my heartbeat especially when i lay down, just the idea of having a small muscle moving inside me terrifies me, do anyone have a solution to help me cope with this :low:
Caffeine and basically most things that will make your anxiety rise which will definitely make this fear worse id suggest searching "Cardio phobia" but you should definitely speak with a doctor if you ever get to worried about it where you feel any pain they won't mind it they rather people reach out thats why they are there for.. went a few times for my chest and ofcourse anxiety some things that can help is breathing exercises, meditation, and Journaling. Some things may trigger it make sure to not to beat yourself up over it its not your fault and your not alone!

J

Joseph97

I have the EXACT combination of the OP's and your symptoms, Dave. I hate being so dependent on my heart and having to listen to my heart all day and making it beat even faster by thinking about it. Basically it controls me, I am even afraid to work out. And I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to live at some points. And it's not like I don't want to live per se, that's not it, I don't feel depressed or particularly unhappy, but when the panic attacks do occur they are so terrifying and so suffocating and when I feel like my heart is going to stop just like that, those are the moments I don't want to live because it makes my life absolute hell. The most important thing is not to self-diagnose. For the past couple of years I have had all kinds of diseases from cancer to, now, heart disease (all of them in my head).

Have you had your heart checked out? Having someone other than yourself tell you that nothing is wrong does wonders to the peace of mind. Also, think about it, if you had those heart problems that you described at 19 and now you're in your 30-ies, what does that tell you? You made it this far, everything is OK! I had a terrible thing a year ago where my heart didn't skip a beat just once or twice, it continued in a chain for HOURS, and I told myself I was dead that night, but guaranteed that at the time it was because I smoked very excessively and a LOT more than usual in the days leading up to the episode.

Speaking of smoking, I agree that smoking somehow makes it better, even though it obviously speeds up my heart rate. It really does relieve some stress. And whenever I would completely stop smoking, that's when I also noticed I started getting bad palpitations, I don't know if it was mental stress from not smoking or the fact that the body is in shock from such instant cessation.

Hope this was at least a touch useful and I didn't ramble on, it's nice to be able to share with people having the same problems.
Smoking cigarettes will definitely cause your heart to actually be unhealthy and will increases chances of heart attack and so many more anxiety disorders id highly suggest cutting the habit and doing a Nicole kit for 20 dollars put a patch on each day and work on your anxiety properly don't hurt your body even more thats how mental issues worsen and for some they never go back because they continue to hurt themselves even more.

J

Joseph97

Sounds like ocd when i took medications and other substances i was always terrified i was gonna have a heart attack really self concious and honed in on every little beat used to drive me nuts..i just got over it by saying fuck it have a heart attack donno if that will help you...but yes we are very fragile beings just flesh and bone and could die any time for any reason and that can be overwhelming sometimes and if you spend alot of time alone cause of depression of other reasons you can spend too much time thinking about these things
maybe disect a pigs heart or something face your demon!?!??!?!?!
You really think it could be ocd? I'm not saying your wrong im honestly curious cause I have anxiety and OCD I never really considered it being that but id like to look into actually fears of heart beat things like that really disturbs me.