Fear of heartbeat, and fear of sleeping because of it

D

denvercarefree

Hello everyone! I'm so relieved to hear other people are experiencing the same issues I am! Reading through this makes me feel like I'm not alone in this.

Apologies for the long story...but this is me...
Up until about 3 weeks ago I was one of the most care free people you'd meet. I am a talkative and friendly guy have a daughter and a great job; I love to drink and have fun. I was drinking and smoking a lot about 3 weeks ago when I would wake up from drinking with an odd heart beat. I read that drinking heavily can cause this and I assume smoking or quitting smoking would contribute. Then it started at night just before bed, even when I wasn't drinking. I got more nervous but didn't pay attention too much..like I said I'm a care free guy! Well I went out to NY for a visit and had many fun but terrifying experiences like flying and being in high buildings (nervous of both). When I came home I was alone. I then felt the odd heartbeat. I tried to brush it off but couldn't. Next thing I know I'm pacing around the house afraid to sleep because I felt that my heart would stop and I would leave my kid behind with no father. It got so bad I called the ambulance and went to the the ER. They did blood, ekg and monitored my heart rate. ...no issues at all. I was prescribed Xanax and by the time I got home I was back in full panic attack heart rate mode. I took the pill and about 20 mins later...poof! Heart was beating gently as could be! I realize it's all in my head but it's so hard to figure this out without meds. I'm not taking much Xanax per day, but I need about half a .25mg dose once a day to get through work. Sleep has been okay since the first few nights. I'm seeing a psychologist and general practice Dt. next week. I hope to get back to my old care free self...I miss him alot.

S

stephfraser8

We are not alone!

Hey guys,

I was never ever scared of my own heartbeat up until Christmas time when I couldn't calm down for no reason. I would pace around the house, be really really sweaty and the worst thing was my heart was racing and I couldn't calm it down. I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since I was about 11 and it all stemmed from having emetophobia (a fear of being sick). I went to the doctors and they gave me beta-blockers. They were great at calming the heart down, but they do nothing for your bad mentality. I didn't want to have to rely on meds. So I came off them and went to a psychologist.

I am only half way through my sessions but I think its important to share this. It is fact that 99% of the time, your imagination will win over fact (look it up, it's called coue's law). So whatever situation you are in and when you start to worry or panic about something, it is because you are thinking about the worst possible outcome. You are imagining your fear. Our fears are not real. You can't touch them, cut them out, or remove them by hand or medicine. It is you! It is your imagination to blame, that inner voice telling you "you are not in control", "your heart is racing and you can't do anything about it".

So how do you move past this? Tell it to **** off! Seriously, next time you are having a complete panic or a moment you feel like crap I am don't feel good, think of the facts. You are fine, you are healthy, you are imagining your worse, you were probably fine 15 minutes ago and there was no reason other than you hearing a heartbeat to make you freak out. It is your inner-voice putting negative thoughts into your head. We might not be able to control our heartbeats, but we control out negative thoughts and our over-emphasising imagination and thus can control our happiness (and actually can calm us down and therefore stop a racing heartbeat).

Hope this helps a little! I still have episodes where I feel out of control and its usually when I am aware of my heartbeat but then I just think about all the facts that outweigh my imagination and I calm down.

X

xlilhboox

I'm rather glad I found this thread & that im not the only one either! I hate it when I can hear & feel my heart beating really fast & well..hard. Sometimes I'd be laying in bed, trying to drift off or trying to relax & I can just hear my heartbeat & feel it pounding & it just worries me! I feel although I have to take deep breaths until it calms down, you know? There was one time when I was at a friends just sitting watching tv & Then my heart started racing & I started worrying myself & stressing because I thought something was wrong with me, I tried to explain it to my friend but she just looked at me blankly, thought I was just being strange. It's so awful. Also I smoke but I don't feel although it's that what triggers it as such, as every time it occurs is when I'm relaxing.

H

Heretosayhello

This is me right now. I've just turned 19 and can say that I've been suffering from anxiety and mild depression since 17. Its 7am and I've been up all night listening to my heart beat making sure I'm alright. It sounds so pathetic saying it aloud but seeing others can relate has made me feel much better already. I also fear the fact that a simple organ is in charge of my entire being.. I know this is an old thread so if anybody has found a solution I would be grateful if they could share it.. Thank you.

R

Ross Franklin

I'm so glad I found this I too have a massive fear of heart beats,it's got to the point now even if I stand up and feel my heart beating a little faster I panic and my stomach flips over and I feel panicy ,I live with my girlfriend who is in a wheel chair and I look after her,but this is getting in the way,I have have lost who I am,she's lost the real Ross,I'm trapped in my own body and mind,I'm miss the old me,I'm always feel like I'm dieing and my heart beats so fast I feel like it's just going to stop it explode,I wake up with it and go to sleep with it,I have got to the point now where I think what's the point anymore,the only thing keeping me going is my gf as I know she needs me,I just don't know what to do anymore,I thought I was alone up until now

S

Sleepless

I've found no help

I'm comforted knowing that this isn't a strange thing that only I experience. I am in an almost constant state of fear and anxiety now. Its never lasted this long. The fear of death and my eventual end is always on my mind, and lately nothing is capable of distracting me from it. I've had surreal feelings, almost like I'm hyper aware of everything? And my heartbeat especially. I don't like the sound of it, I don't like feeling it or my pulse. I can't stand listening to anyone's heartbeat, it always causes a panic attack. I don't know what to do anymore. I take Prozac for anxiety but it doesn't seem to help anymore. I've never had a very serious health problem, or any health problems aside from a broken ankle. I don't smoke or anything, I don't live recklessly. I just turned 20 and I already fear the end. I don't know what to do I just want to be able to be myself again.

C

connor177

I have had a very similar fear to most of you where I was paranoid about my heart beating to fast, and having a heart attack. I used to do lots of recreational drugs when I was younger which made me more paranoid.

I know the feeling of lying in bed and panicking every time you hear or feel the slightest beat. The only way you'll beat it though is if you face up to it.

It is normal for your heart beat to sometimes become more noticeable, especially for someone who is anxious about it. So you just need to accept that at times it will happen, and it isn't a sign that anything is wrong with your heart.

One way I have combated it, is by getting in good physical shape, the better shape you are in the slower your heart will beat, I do lots of cardio inbetween weight sessions at the gym, and my resting heart rate is now down to 56.

I think having a slower pulse rate, makes you feel more at ease with your heart beating. It's when it's racing that tended to set me off.

Last edited:
S

Sanguine123

For about a year I've been terrified about my heart beat. Ill constantly feel my pulse. its like im checking to see if im still alive, yet the beating freaking me out. It's only when my heart beat is high. I think this stems from when i started smoking weed. Weed increases your heart rate since it goes through your blood streams. This has cause my heart rate to go up, and numerous panic attacks from this. I can't smoke weed anymore because of this. Which is fine i can live without it, but it sucks since its supposed to be "calming". Another reason I think im terrified of my heart is the fact that without it, im dead. it powers my life. not that long ago a childhood friend of mine died. She went to sleep one day and never woke up. I think her heart stopped beating. i cant go to sleep at night when i hear my pulse. Its like a constant remainder that yes right now im alive, but one day my heart will be very still. That freaks me out. I make my heart seem fragile to myself, when really its a tough muscle. idk im tired of checking my pulse, and tired of confusing my heart beating with pain. and i want to smoke weed.

S

Shan

Oh my lord I have found my people! You guys, I have had this since I was in my 20’s and I’m now 42. It was an on and off thing (mostly off) until 7 years ago. Since then it has been bad! Like I couldn’t leave my house hardly. I could do dishes because it made my heart beat faster. Everything! It’s always there and I can always feel it. It is getting bad again where just getting out bed slowly makes it beat so fast (I think it’s because I’m afraid it will!!). I’m always checking my pulse, I’m always thinking about my heart. I did take lexapro for a little over a year but I have been off of it for about 5 months. I’m so tired of this! I’m so tired of my partner having to wake up with me in the middle of the night because of a panic attack! It’s my heart! It’s suposed to beat! It’s just doing it’s job! I know I’m making it worse by constantly thinking about it and worrying about but how do you stop that??? This is so frustrating! Thank you all for sharing your stories!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Phobia Forum 10
H Phobia Forum 3
M Phobia Forum 6
Z Phobia Forum 49
cmjanuc Phobia Forum 6