• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Fear of getting lost

F

firemonkee57

I am posting here rather than in PD forum as i'm more likely to get a response here.

Does anyone else here have a fear of getting lost due in large part to having a poor sense of direction?
This fear really restricts me in going to new/unfamiliar places and even if i do go out of the house,which can take days of persuading myself to do,i do not venture too far from where i live unless accompanied by someone else(which is not very often).
I also find it hard to go places on the bus,due to a fear of getting off at the wrong place and getting myself lost.
I find it hard to tell anyone about this as (a)I am scared people will think i am just silly/it's just trivial for having this problem and (b) the mental health services only seem to care/be interested if you are a danger to yourself or others and if not they do not care too much if some thing or things restricts your functioning and quality of life.

It is hard enough having severe social anxiety and a fear of inadvertently doing something stupid/wrong and being punished without this on top of it.

C

coraline1664

Hugely, yes. I imagine that the extreme anxiety contributes to making mistakes when out like getting lost. It does for me. If I do get lost I find it extremely hard to go up to people to ask for directions (and if I do I can't take in what they're saying) so that makes the prospect of it happening feel even worse.

What I try to do is prepare as much as possible- looking up the exact route I need to take for somewhere I haven't been before and writing each step down. Having my phone with me. A portable music player helps with my panic a bit when I'm out- it feels like a safety barrier.

It is so hard though- I have similar problems and I know the terror that accompanies it. Don't know how things end up getting like this for us, but I have it too and really empathise.

sallyG

sallyG

me too...have become a prisoner in my own home for fear of using public transport..wont travel anywhere even with someone incase we get lost.
its a real dibilitating fear..i hear you.

S

stuart

I get lost easy. I think it's a part of the Aspergers, though I'm not as bad as some with this, I say thankya!

D

Drake

wow everything you just described is EXACTLY an issue I have I'm afraid of getting lost even when at the store with someone and I lose track of them I rush all over the store looking for them and the longer it takes to find them the more panicked I get and my sense of direction is terrible I got lost in my own neighborhood and got scared I was running down street after street and every turn I was hoping was the way home it almost drove me to tears the only time I go out on my own is walking along a path anywhere else someone is with me I hardly leave the house much either, yea Iv tried getting on disability before but I couldn't even after getting a recommendation from a therapist

Mark_01

Mark_01

I drive off in my car and then forget where I'm going and why.

Welcome to the forum, Drake.

P

Palmtree

I thought it was just me! I`m so anxious if i have to go somewhere new alone. If i`m with a friend its ok, I seem to be able to control myself and not head into a panic. It affects my relationships and my friendships as I can`t seem to tell them, its embarrassing and seems so silly. They just think that I can`t be bothered to do anything new! I don`t know where it stems from but i do know it seems to have been worse since my marriage split up but that was 10 years ago! I can print our as many maps as I like but just don`t seem to be able to convince myself to take the first steps... any advice?

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I'm very reluctant to go anywhere on my own, that I haven't been to before. For years, I needed people always to go with me to places I knew well. I couldn't be on my own, and I couldn't use the buses. Even now, sometimes if I go into the city (which is rare), if I get side tracked and go down a wrong street, I get very panicky and walk and walk. Things become a blur, and I phone my folks, or just find somewhere to sit and think :)

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes I do have this problem. I am ok with getting transport in my area as it's quite straight forward but if I have to go out of my city for anything then I do get very anxious because I am hopeless at map reading and working out train times etc.

Every now and then I go to see this sports podiatrist out of the area and my partner has to do all the arranging because it is a complicated journey with 3 changes of trains and depending on what time it is the train is a different one from a different platform at a different station. I would get so muddled if I tried to do it I would never get there.

I can't read maps and I don't have a smartphone with google maps on. The last couple of job interviews I've had I've been late because I just couldn't find the place even though I had a map, asked people, had gone through the journey beforehand and left enough time, and thought it would be straightforward.

When I get lost I tend to get so stressed out I cry, same as if I am late. This I feel is a childish reaction as I don't cry about other more normal things to cry about.

I also don't like to go places that are too far from home. i booked gig tickets once but it was the other side of town in an area I was unfamiliar with how to get to, ended up not going as it was too much effort to work out how to get there. That might have been depression though.

S

Ste7e

Has any tried any therapy for this ? I have a terrible Phobia of getting lost when driving out of my local area . So much so my driving is affected . I'm starting a new job soon which involve some travel around UK . I'm worried this phobia will affect my employment .. Thanks

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
yoo could get sat nav, think if you can drive and have a job you haven't schitzoprenia please prove me wrong

S

Ste7e

Sorry , I may have posted in an incorrect area. You are correct I do not have schizophrenia . I was just trying to find people who may have similar issues with getting lost in general .

futilethewinds

futilethewinds

I have a terrible sense of direction as well, and yeah, I worry about getting lost a lot. However, I find that I have pretty good reasoning skills these days, enough so that if I get lost, I at least know what direction to wander in. Although I did get lost during my latest episode of psychotic depression.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Sorry , I may have posted in an incorrect area. You are correct I do not have schizophrenia . I was just trying to find people who may have similar issues with getting lost in general .
It is an interesting topic, and I don't think anyone is going to get their knickers in knot.