Fear of Getting Blood Drawn!

S

Sweater_girl

I have finally had the nerve to schedule an appointment to get my blood drawn (which is for tomorrow) but I am horrified! :panic:I've had it done multiple times in the past, but each time I end up a crying mess and the last time I passed out. My fear isn't so much about needles as much as it is of veins, which is why this is more scary for me than getting a shot. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what coping mechanisms have helped you before and after getting it done?

When In Rome

When In Rome

Was surprised nobody replied yet to this. Totally understand your worries Sweater_girl - I don't do needles of any kind and so flu jabs or anything else are out of the question. When I was 12 and there were concerns of meningitis I had a lumbar puncture done and that I believe is one of the worst injections you can have. Is it something that absolutely has to be administered by a needle? I have never really understood why this is the case, thinking that it must be possible to use capsules and tablets for any medication.

EDIT: Re-read the post and understand it's for a blood test. A more difficult situation then, is it possible to get a blood sample without drawing it from a needle?

I

Izera

Obviously too late for this appointment, but maybe you could go with someone else who needs a blood draw? That's what we did with my daughter when she was terrified of needles. Seeing it happen over and over and seeing that the patient was just fine during and after the draw helped her go from terrified to just not liking it but able to do it.

S

Sweater_girl

Thank you When In Rome and Izera for your responses. I did have my blood draw done today...phew! After doing a little online searching the night before my appointment I did get a couple new tips which worked for me, so in case anyone with the same fear is visiting this thread here are a couple things you can try:

1. Tell the person doing the blood draw that you have a phobia, so that they are prepared and don't freak out if you do pass out. They may also be more understanding and supportive, which helps.
2. Ask if you can lie down during the procedure. You're less likely to look at it and this can prevent you from passing out (and if you do pass out, then you're already laying down).
3. Ask if they can use a butterfly (infant) needle. There's positive and negative side to doing it this way, you do feel the needle less, which definitely helps. As you can guess though, it does take a little longer since the needle is smaller.

And like you said Izera, having someone with you helps a lot! My mom got her blood drawn right before me

I

Izera

When I was 12 and there were concerns of meningitis I had a lumbar puncture done and that I believe is one of the worst injections you can have.
Oof. My daughter also had trauma that left her afraid of needles. She was sick when she was little, and I didn't realize how sick being a new mom. The day after her first birthday I took her to the doctor, and they told me she was dehydrated. Between the dehydration and how tiny she was, they missed the vein when they tried to do IV fluids. They missed 12 times, some were at the doctor's office, most were in the ER when the doctor gave up. Number 13, they told me if that didn't work, they would have to use her jugular vein and admit her to the hospital. Lucky number 13 got the vein.

They say kids can't remember from when they were babies, bullcrap. There must have been some trace of memory left. It was light and day, shots were no problem before, it took 3 people to hold her down for anything involving a needle after.