• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Fear of expected loud noises/sudden things

B

busman1001

Hi everyone

I have a phobia that I've had for as long as I can remember that has certainly caused plenty of stress and anxiety over the years: a fear of anything big + sudden that is EXPECTED such as a loud noise.

A main example- This fear played havoc throughout school with the fire alarms, but only when they were expected. Eg.:
  • If I had completely no idea that a fire alarm would go, I would be fine when it went.
  • If I was told it would go off within a certain timescale, I would panic.
    • The longer the timescale, the worst, as it meant the longer I would sit there panicking.
  • If I knew the exact second it would go, I would be fine.
It is almost like a fear of being made jump I suppose, except as I say it is fine if completely unexpected.

I hate having the phobia and it gets in the way of so much; anyone have any solutions perhaps?

Thank you in advance. :)

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

You seem to be anxious about hearing loud sounds. Meditation, in particular sound meditation, is likely to help.

See www.wakingup.com for a cool meditation app.

M

markeymark417

yea i can relate I have a fear of footsteps, when i hear footsteps in the house i get a shot of terror down my spine its horrible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Phobia Forum 1
Q Phobia Forum 7
H Phobia Forum 1
J Phobia Forum 7
I Phobia Forum 4