yes I had not thought of that
in fact my great aunts dog was thought of as a ' crazy dog '
by my aunt
whereas her dog was better behaved

apparently I liked both dogs
until the great aunts one knocked me down

ever since then I am nervous of them
and therefor they tend to go for me !
Sure they can. I fostered one dog who had separation anxiety -- like to a dangerous extent. She was a beautiful, sweet girl who took to training well, but leave her for 5 minutes alone and she'd pee all over (from intense fear), and she'd do anything to get out to find you. Working with a trainer over months we slowly crate trained her which seemed to be working (I could crate her & leave the room). So one day I left to go to the store. When I returned 20minutes later I found her bloodied and in a frightening state of panic. She had torn off a couple nails from frantic pawing at the cage and her mouth was torn up from her trying to bite thru the metal bars.

Everyone got involved. While we worked on the issue we had to hire "babysitters" to sit with the dog if ever we couldn't take her with us. (Surprisingly she was fine being left in the car.) Our vet finally prescribed her Xanax. I gave her the least amt, tested her reaction to being left alone and she promptly started a panic attack. Per the vet's advice I gave her another dose. Same thing. I gave her one final dose (the vet saying anymore could kill her) and it was nothing to her.

Not really knowing what Xanax was at the time I just figured it was a fairly impotent drug and stowed the prescription away. Fast forward a year later and I had what I can only think was a genuine panic attack. I was alone and in fear I would pass out because I couldn't stop hyperventilating. I found this prescription and out of sheer mindless panic I took one tablet. Within a few minutes everything slooo.oooweddd waaayyyy
dooowwwww.....nnnnnn. I felt myself sinking and sinking. Anyway I kept slowing down so much I worried I had just killed myself with a drug overdose.
The reason why I bring up my irresponsible drug taking story is to illustrate just how bad it was for this dog. She had taken 3x what I had -- and I outweighed her by 50lbs -- and it didn't scratch the surface of her anxiety. That's not normal.

Z

Zoe1

wow yes I can feel a little sympathy for the dog in your story
and you know what I'm a tiny bit less irritated by the neighbours dog !
just a little bit the pain is eased when it barks
maybe there is a part of me that goes way back to before I was hit
by my great aunts dog

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

by my great aunts dog
Actually, I can't stand a barking dog. It's a menace to one's sanity, no matter the reason. I had one of those too (also separation anxiety, but to a way lesser extent). I read dozens of behavior training books, tried all the passive training methods and couldn't crack the case. Reluctantly, I resorted to a shock collar that would zap him after a warning beep when he barked more the once over a few seconds. It made me cry the first time I heard him yelp after a zap but no more than 30 minutes later he got the message. After a few months we didn't use the collar at all and he remained cured.

I was in danger of being evicted so while I hated using that method, I can't deny that the anguish in the short term paid off in the long run.

Anyway, have you contacted the owner? Does the owner know the dog is incessantly barking?

Z

Zoe1

wow that was really difficult to discipline the dog in that way
sorry for your pain going through that ...
yes we have had a long running dispute about it
involving the council as well
and they also involved the council some years back
when I was having a relapse with my mental health
I think the council have done quite a good job actually
but some evenings there is a lot of barking

I dont know what they have done to stop it
but its much better than it was

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

As you speak of "council" it's clear I'm unfamiliar with laws you have wherever you are regarding menace barking. Actually, even here there are varying degrees of enforcement, tho typically it falls under the same type rules as having a band practice in your apt at 1 in the morning. Here, you can be cited for not curbing your dog's behavior.

I'm glad it's better. As for training aids, there are new collars out that don't shock but squirt. After a warning the dog will be squirt in the face with some offensive spray (forget now the scent). The trick is to change the dog's focus -- to re-wire an instinct or behavioral tic. Anyway, if you were more friendly with your neighbor that could be a suggestion. Honestly tho the shock collar isn't as medieval as it sounds. I tried it on my bare skin and it jolted me but didn't "hurt" per se. And think how the dog has a fur barrier so it was less of a zap than I got.

Z

Zoe1

south UK
I'm surprised if its treated the same as a band practice
certainly it is just as loud
but I got the impression dog noise was considered more ' normal '
is the impression I got from the dog warden

im glad to hear that the dog is not given too much pain
yes a smell would be better, nobody likes to see an animal suffer
I think thats partly what disturbs me about the barking
is that the animal sounds distressed
maybe because its kept in all day

and I would be distressed if I was kept in all day !

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

by my great aunts dog
I kind of overlooked the lead on this. Sorry. Clearly, I could dogs all day. But this isn't a dedicated dog forum.

Do you want to expand on this epiphany? (Or am I just misinterpreting the importance here...)

Z

Zoe1

well the reason I posted about it
is because I'm aware that I have an issue with dogs
that goes back to 4 years old and I'm wondering if I can cure it
and that is probably possible

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

Crate training is a good first step. Dogs like a "den" -- a safe enclosed space. It's in their DNA. Some people think it's cruel to keep dogs in cages when they're away. The dogs don't. They generally take to the concept even if this method is introduced later in life. My dog puts himself to bed in his crate. I don't even close it anymore. Many bad habits are taken care of by employing this.

And I remembered the squirt collar scent was citrus. I couldn't speak to its efficacy as I've never used one.

Z

Zoe1

yes I can relate to that, I think cats have a den as well
there is one that is visiting my garden trying to catch mice
and its claimed a patch of long grass !

you know what I used to be scared of daddy long legs
and now I am not
I dont know how it came about I lost that fear

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

well the reason I posted about it
is because I'm aware that I have an issue with dogs
that goes back to 4 years old and I'm wondering if I can cure it
and that is probably possible
Maybe you're doing it now -- like empathizing with the crazy dog in my story. I mean, some dogs you should be wary of. I love dogs (duh) but I steer clear of some I see are bad news. Again, I kinda judge dogs like I judge people generally. Do you fear little dogs as well -- or just ones that remind you of your past trauma?

Z

Zoe1

yes little ones too like chiwawas and stuff
I was bitten by a little dog on my ankle
the dogs I like are red setters, golden spaniels that sort of docile dog
I'm just about remembering how nice they were
the red setters would lift a paw offering to shake your hand !

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

yes little ones too like chiwawas and stuff
I was bitten by a little dog on my ankle
the dogs I like are red setters, golden spaniels that sort of docile dog
I'm just about remembering how nice they were
the red setters would lift a paw offering to shake your hand !
While I'm not afraid of little dogs (or any animal I can kick across the room -- JK!), I don't particularly like them. I think little dogs are the least mannered dogs I've been around. Yappy little stinkers! The only dogs who've bit me have been little dogs. 'Course no biggie, they really can't do too much damage. Why so many are such grumpy il-tempered brats is beyond me.

Alternatively, I've rough-played with most all my dogs and that does involve biting, but they know not to bite hard. Actually it's better described as "mouthing" not biting. Their mouths are like a hand -- so they grab things with their mouths. And they know when playtime is over, it's over and no more jumping, heel nipping or mouthing. They do pick up on cues you set.

You know the difference between dogs and cats? Dogs want to do most anything to please the owner. Cats want the owner to do everything to please them. That's not a criticism just a dynamic to consider when assessing dogs. If you act strangely around them they might consider you a threat to their owner so not be so friendly. (Then again I had a dog who had zero discernment and would love on a serial killer in progress.)

Z

Zoe1

wow I cant imagine playing the biting games, with a dog
thats amazing !
and the way you can train them with cues

where I dont agree is that cats dont try to please you
I find that all cats are different
and I have felt very much comforted by cats
in times of grief
even when I did not have my own cat
a neighbour cat would walk in the back door
and befriend me just when I needed it !

I would love to have a cat
but I feel I cant afford it
and any way I might use it to isolate

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

The thing is I was raised on a farm. My earliest memories are surrounded with vivid snapshots of various working animals. When we moved to a new state a huge yellow lab was my best (and only) friend. So my perspective isn't really helpful to you in a way.

The rough-play? Not so amazing. It's a "learned" comfort level and inherent understanding of dog cues/temperaments that wasn't "taught" explicitly but just part of what you learned surrounded by dogs. Considering no one ever told me to do this or that with a dog I guess you could say the dogs taught me. Does that make sense?

I'm probably learning more from you and your perspective than I could ever deign to teach you. Remember when I mentioned dogs I'm wary of? Well that's not something I could explain, but if I think about it I could guess I didn't like how the dogs ears were back, or his shoulders set a certain way... But that's not what I breakdown on any conscious level at the time. In the moment it's just a reaction and I respond accordingly. It has long since become an ingrained instinct. Does that make sense?

If you "like" setters and spaniels and like them shaking your hand it doesn't sound like you have a dibilitating phobia about dogs. Maybe you have a healthy respect for, or perhaps a tad hyper-awareness of, the danger a dog poses?

And I dig cats. Haven't had one in awhile but yes they are a great comfort. I still stand behind my statement tho. The proof is: try to train a cat the things you can train a dog. They do what they want to do most of the time. And if that's sitting in your lap to be pet, then that's glorious!

Z

Zoe1

I can understand how an animal might teach you something

what is it that dogs do to ' try to make you happy ' ?

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

@Zoe1: Me personally? Innumerable things.
Dogs are extremely intuitive and instinct driven. They are very connected to their owners' mood.

Once I came home frustrated by something. It was all I could do to get thru the front door, jam to my bedroom, and throw myself on the bed in a sobbing fit. Immediately the two dogs in residence jumped on the bed trying to get to me to turn over so they could lick my face. They were both uncharacteristically "in my space." One notable point here is that these dogs were never on the bed. Ever. One wouldn't get on the bed if you invited him. And I never allowed them to lick my face (ew) previously -- and they knew better -- but they needed to communicate, and licking is a form of communication for them.

And their intervention worked. With two dogs wiggling over you, literally licking your tears away, with little whines of concern (seriously), it became comical. I don't remember what upset me but I remember their spontaneous reaction. I ended up being overwhelmed by their outpouring of concern and actually started laughing. It was funny. And such a moment of mutual love.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Phobia Forum 10
H Phobia Forum 3
M Phobia Forum 6
cmjanuc Phobia Forum 6
C Phobia Forum 3