• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Fear of being without water

D

Dgjn12345

Hello all,

I’ve had this fear for the last decade or so and, despite me before my able to live a fairly normal life with it, I would really like to finally be free!

Basically, I get close to panic whenever I find myself out of reach of water. It’s not a fear of dehydration, more a fear of not being able to swallow (somehow believing having water handy will help me swallow, if I feel the need). It means I have to plan all journeys to make sure I have water with me and al constantly scanning for taps, water bottles, hoses etc if I take a short walk without any - ridiculous I know!

Are there any good ways to beat this, short of getting someone to drive me out to the desert and leave me there with no water?!

Brownangel

Brownangel

Hi, I've never heard of this, have uyou thought about going to speak to an expert maybe?

D

Dgjn12345

I did mention it to my CBT guy, years ago, when my agoraphobia was at its worst, but the water issue was glossed over. Annoyingly I’ve allowed myself to develop lots of habits around it now and, where I currently live, don’t have access to decent mental health professionals (Middle East).