Fear of being outside

Dang80

Dang80

Hi all. I've a fear of going outside and being in public. I sit here, and see people walking around. And its getting to me 😕 I'm worried I'll be stuck in this hole for the rest of my life. My psychologist has told me to try go out occasionally. As in baby steps. But I cant even do that. My hearts racing just writing about it. I feel like I'm failing in life. Just want to feel normal again. It's all getting to be too much for me. Anyone been in the same boat and recovered? Need some hope! X

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I was a bit like that when i was a teenager, soon as i got home from school i would not go outside again, for me moving away from the area helped but its probably too drastic for you :hug:

Dang80

Dang80

I'm nearly 40 now. But, funny you should say that about moving, I'm hoping to be out of this place within a few months! Fingers crossed that helps

G

gam9147

Hi my friend. I'm sure you won't be this way 'forever'. View it as a temporary situation that you are working on and have patience with yourself.

Have you tried imaging yourself outside? imagination is the first step to desensitization. What kind of therapist do you have? cognitive behavioral therapy is highly effective for agoraphobia. If nothing else, remind yourself of that. I forget the exact success rate but its very high, 95% + I believe. I always thought it was even higher than that for those who are commited to working on it. In other words I think the failure rate is in those who give up and don't take the appropriate therapeutic course of action.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there dang, can I ask what is it that stops you going out. Is it the fear of being in the open or fear of having to meet people. I only ask because I was told I had agoraphobia but I knew it wasn’t outside I was scared of , it was people. If I knew I could go out and not have to talk to anyone, like just go and sit in the middle of a field. I could do that. But the prospect of shopping etc was a nightmare. So depending on what your fear is it would be treated differently. I agree with your therapist. Baby steps to begin with. Try walking to your gate and standing there for a few minutes, then after a while try walking to your neighbours gate etc. I take medication to get me out of the house so hopefully your therapist can find something for you

Daf

H

Helen1960

Hi there dang, can I ask what is it that stops you going out. Is it the fear of being in the open or fear of having to meet people. I only ask because I was told I had agoraphobia but I knew it wasn’t outside I was scared of , it was people. If I knew I could go out and not have to talk to anyone, like just go and sit in the middle of a field. I could do that. But the prospect of shopping etc was a nightmare. So depending on what your fear is it would be treated differently. I agree with your therapist. Baby steps to begin with. Try walking to your gate and standing there for a few minutes, then after a while try walking to your neighbours gate etc. I take medication to get me out of the house so hopefully your therapist can find something for you

Daf

Dang80

Dang80

Hiya daffy. It's being around people that's the problem. I have no trouble going fishing, as my local lake is in the middle of nowhere. But just lately, I've not been able to go for the whole day. I went a couple of days ago, had a panic attack at around 12 and had to rush home. Hate it. I'm normally a social person. Feel like a prisoner in my own body

Dang80

Dang80

Oh and gam, thanks for that! I'll look into the therapy you said 😁👍

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hiya daffy. It's being around people that's the problem. I have no trouble going fishing, as my local lake is in the middle of nowhere. But just lately, I've not been able to go for the whole day. I went a couple of days ago, had a panic attack at around 12 and had to rush home. Hate it. I'm normally a social person. Feel like a prisoner in my own body
It’s does sound more like social anxiety then agoraphobia if your ok when you go fishing and are alone. I take a beta blocker and lorazepam before I go out and it does help.

Dang80

Dang80

Yeah doctors tried me on beta blockers. Nearly killed me as I have asthma! What's the other tablet then? I'm on quetiapine and venlafaxin

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m on duloxitine on a morning and mirtazipine at night max dose of both. The lorazepam some gps won’t prescribe it as it’s addictive so I’m limited to 14 per month. But mine was prescribed by a pdoc so they just continue prescribing it. The only problem with lorazepam is that I wouldn’t feel safe driving whilst on it .

Dang80

Dang80

Ah I think that's what they gave me in hospital! I had an anxiety attack when I was in there, and I think that's what they said they were 🤔

RoseGoldBoi

RoseGoldBoi

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm 21 and I'm too scared to go to a popular city that's a ferry ride down from my town. After unpleasant encounters with grumpy people, a flasher and someone accusing me that I was in there yard who threaten to bust my knee caps if I'm in the neighborhood again. I'm pretty sure he was on coke and super paranoid. I used to love going into the city for the anomitity and love being out and about in town in hopes I'd bump into an aquaitence. When I go to the store I remind myself there's a lot of love in the world and lots of kind people. It wouldn't be realistic if it was just nice people outside, going out knowing there are bad people kinda comes with the territory of life. The fact that we exist, as people who get anxiety outside proves there are just as many, if not more good people than bad (not assuming its people that set you off)