• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fear of being more successful than my parents

T

trail-runner

Hi...I'm posting this here in anxiety because well..this causes me anxiety.

I seem to procrastinate a lot about doing the things in life that will help me succeed for fear of hurting my parents feelings, specifically my dads if I accomplish more than they/he did. I'm not sure why I feel this way, it's probably every parents dream for their children to be successful and probably even more than they are. Something is stopping me though, I've watched my dad struggle in life with some odd social skills and a lotr less backbone than I have. I feel when I do things that relate to me standing up for me and doing what I know is good for me I feel guilty and hold back...like a little voice is saying "Dad couldn't get this, why should you...that's not fair to him"

I feel like emailing him and just putting it out there that I feel this way, but it would probably be insulting...

I wish I had a new way to think about this, I'm really good at solving and working through things on my own but this one just has me stumped.

Thanks for anyone's input.

schiz01

schiz01

Hi trail runner
I would throw it out there and email your dad or better still talk go talk to him in person.If your respectful and explain yourself carefully and honestly I don't see how he could be offended.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I think you have to write him mate. I'd say forget email. A nice handwritten letter in an nice old fashioned envelope signed and with kisses is the way to go.

J

jamesdean

I agree with both schiz01 and rorshach,you need to overcome this for your own development.