• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Fear of being more successful than my parents

T

trail-runner

Hi...I'm posting this here in anxiety because well..this causes me anxiety.

I seem to procrastinate a lot about doing the things in life that will help me succeed for fear of hurting my parents feelings, specifically my dads if I accomplish more than they/he did. I'm not sure why I feel this way, it's probably every parents dream for their children to be successful and probably even more than they are. Something is stopping me though, I've watched my dad struggle in life with some odd social skills and a lotr less backbone than I have. I feel when I do things that relate to me standing up for me and doing what I know is good for me I feel guilty and hold back...like a little voice is saying "Dad couldn't get this, why should you...that's not fair to him"

I feel like emailing him and just putting it out there that I feel this way, but it would probably be insulting...

I wish I had a new way to think about this, I'm really good at solving and working through things on my own but this one just has me stumped.

Thanks for anyone's input.

schiz01

schiz01

Hi trail runner
I would throw it out there and email your dad or better still talk go talk to him in person.If your respectful and explain yourself carefully and honestly I don't see how he could be offended.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I think you have to write him mate. I'd say forget email. A nice handwritten letter in an nice old fashioned envelope signed and with kisses is the way to go.

J

jamesdean

I agree with both schiz01 and rorshach,you need to overcome this for your own development.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
stevie_sloth What do you do when your worst fear WILL happen? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
GTP A Small Essay on Fear. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
W Help with GAD and fear over nothing Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
Jam1990 Tired of living in constant fear Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 20
S I fear I will ruin my relationship Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
midnightphoenix i fear i was followed home from work Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
L Hospital Appointment Today. Fear got in the way again Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
J Immobilized with fear, panic and anxiety. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
J Fear of becoming psychotic and/or getting schizophrenia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
T The fear of judgement and my story with developing myself Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
C My Biggest Fear - Facing Life Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
M Fear of dentist Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
T Fear of time running out Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
H Fear of making mistakes and doing awkward things Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
I Fear of time running out and getting older Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 24
D Anxiety, negative thinking, fear, depression all related Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
OobieMoobie Intense fear/paranoia at night. It seems rational to me. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
R Constantly Being Used. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
T My ribs often feel like they are being squeezed... Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
T Terrified of being outside Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 23
S Dealing with guilt/not being able to work Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
midnightphoenix Pets being kidnapped Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 29
A I'm sick of being me Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
C Being helpless right now Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
Similyn Accused of being "childish" Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
blacksmoke battle of being "normal" Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
O Anxiety over being anxious?! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
A Anxious and scared of being alone Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 16
The Big Dawg When being stopped by police Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
confusedwanderwaffle paranoia of someone being there? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 14
K Anxious about not being Anxious?? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
P I hate social environments, but being lonely is sad Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
N New York...Anxiety/Being Judged Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
J are my symptoms being caused by a brief case of anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
J The Dread of Being a Thing Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Shiro Being Triggered, Help! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
D being out with gad.... Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
T is the internet being monitored? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Carol1952 Does your mood chance more at night? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
Carol1952 Does anyone feel more afraid and creepy at night? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 14
L Do I need more help? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
H I just can't cope no more with this Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
J Feeling More Anxious The Older I Get. I Am 51. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
E I don't even know what I have... this category seemed more fitting Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
markh75 feeling more relaxed. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4