• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fatter and Fatter!

valleygirl

valleygirl

I realized today just how out of shape I am. I have been in a really dark place for such a long time, and as a result, I gave up on going for walks every day. But today I went for a walk. I went exploring. I live in beautiful British Columbia, and decided to go on the internet and and start exploring different hiking trails near me, and I walked on a couple of trails around a place called Cheam Lake Wetlands. I walked 2 km at an easy pace, but I am sore beyond belief and my feet are swollen and my lower back is aching. I tried on some of my summer clothes from last summer, and I have gained yet more weight. I am still too scared to step on the scale, but it is time to take action. I must start walking every day. I have no excuse. I have a lovely park minutes away from my apartment.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

You can do it! I believe in you. I too think I need to lose weight. I'm also very unfit. I played football on Friday for the first time in over 4 years :eek: My legs, side of my ribs and abit of my back are aching (spelling?)
Not soo bad today. I got football today at 10pm! woohoo! I am soo going to get fit and eat healthy. It's my destiny >_>

valleygirl

valleygirl

Alas, I did not get up early enough to go for a walk this morning, because I still have a lot of work to do to prepare for class this afternoon.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I need to exercise more too because I've gone up 2 dress sizes in the last 4 years and I'm beginning to feel breathless after just a little exercise :( At my age (63 )walking is about all I can manage and I really do intend to walk for an hour every day but...so many possible excuses...and no-one to walk with :(

valleygirl

valleygirl

I just can't seem to get myself out of bed early enough in the morning. I need to get out of this cycle. In my head I know I would fall asleep earlier if I would get up earlier in the day and get some exercise, but I just can't seem to get myself up earlier than 10, and even then it is a challenge to get out of bed and I feel so lethargic. And when I get up late I don't want to go out because there will be more people out, and I don't want to be noticed.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

It's abit of a cycle your in? Once you do break this cycle and get into a routine of getting up earlier, etc then it should be all good.

valleygirl

valleygirl

I think I am going to have to do this gradually. It's not going to work to go from getting up at 10:30 to getting up at 7. I'm gradually going to have to work down to getting up at 7. Today I got up an hour earlier than I did yesterday, so I'm going to have to count that as a victory.

N

natalie

HI,

I understand what you are going through; I was previously (there i go again) on a medication which caused a very large amount of weight gaining, and bearing in mind for my height, parents had to tell me it was no good to be so overweight, and being on this med, I did not feel encouraged enough, to do something about it.

I was nearly in clothes size, now I'm no tsure what it would be in American terms, overhere in Britain, I was nearly a clothes size 18! Which for my height was not a very clever ideal situation. So then, back in 2007, I was put on to less weight gaining, causing me happily to be more active, and more alert, in my waking hours, I was also having a problem of sleeping a lot longer on my former medication, so I thoiught in 2007 right, that's what I'll do. If i can explain back ground history, I wished to have become a trained up qualified aerobics instructor, due to my other set of problems, this was not panning or working out as intended so I had to put this idea to rest - and I thought right, I'll aim fo rdaily regular working out. I work out to fitness dvds traditional, and contemporary dance workouts, I also attend zumba gold/zumba classes, if you're thinking in the future about zumba, ensure, that you choose zumba gold, to start with. I worked out daily and on a regular basis, and even today, though I had problems as of recently, I still do workout, I happily dropped a couple of clothes sizes, or one clothes size anyway, from 18, down to 16, which for my build and ieght I'm happy with.

i'LL even do my working out on days before i go volunteering, or I might just workout in the afternoon on the day before volunteering, to help me feel fitter and more toned up, obviously, if I happen to be unwell physically, I won;'t work out, simple as that. As I explain in another post somewhere on the forums, the mental health doctors who put me on to this med, ought to be given a medal for that. This med has really been a life saver, and apart from when irritible/stressed, I don't eat, eat, all day long anymore.

Even at my non paid work - if the biscuits, or should I say cookies are brought, out, other people might well, have, I don't - I have that much of willpower. Saving me for when I have lunch.

I want to get back into the relm of regular attending zumba gold/zumba, and working out in at home, so that I can still keep off the excess weight.

I wish you all the best in your healthier and physical endeavours; and I'll be popping into this thread, to check how you are doing, from time to time.

Natalie.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I think I am going to have to do this gradually. It's not going to work to go from getting up at 10:30 to getting up at 7. I'm gradually going to have to work down to getting up at 7. Today I got up an hour earlier than I did yesterday, so I'm going to have to count that as a victory.
Good idea, progressively reduce the time when you wake up rather then going straight for it. Hope it all goes well.

valleygirl

valleygirl

Do you mind me asking what medication you were on that caused you to gain so much weight? I am on Seroquel and trazodone, both of which have caused weight gain for me. I tried a new mood stabilizer (can't remember the name offhand) but it made my insomnia worse, increased my anxiety, and caused me to be physically agitated all the time. My current psychiatrist wants me to try Latuda, but it's not covered by pharmacare and it's super expensive. Someone on another forum, if they didn't have insurance, would pay $2700 for 3 months. That's $900/month. My rent for my apartment is $655/month and there is no way I could afford $900/month on medication.
HI,

I understand what you are going through; I was previously (there i go again) on a medication which caused a very large amount of weight gaining, and bearing in mind for my height, parents had to tell me it was no good to be so overweight, and being on this med, I did not feel encouraged enough, to do something about it.

I was nearly in clothes size, now I'm no tsure what it would be in American terms, overhere in Britain, I was nearly a clothes size 18! Which for my height was not a very clever ideal situation. So then, back in 2007, I was put on to less weight gaining, causing me happily to be more active, and more alert, in my waking hours, I was also having a problem of sleeping a lot longer on my former medication, so I thoiught in 2007 right, that's what I'll do. If i can explain back ground history, I wished to have become a trained up qualified aerobics instructor, due to my other set of problems, this was not panning or working out as intended so I had to put this idea to rest - and I thought right, I'll aim fo rdaily regular working out. I work out to fitness dvds traditional, and contemporary dance workouts, I also attend zumba gold/zumba classes, if you're thinking in the future about zumba, ensure, that you choose zumba gold, to start with. I worked out daily and on a regular basis, and even today, though I had problems as of recently, I still do workout, I happily dropped a couple of clothes sizes, or one clothes size anyway, from 18, down to 16, which for my build and ieght I'm happy with.

i'LL even do my working out on days before i go volunteering, or I might just workout in the afternoon on the day before volunteering, to help me feel fitter and more toned up, obviously, if I happen to be unwell physically, I won;'t work out, simple as that. As I explain in another post somewhere on the forums, the mental health doctors who put me on to this med, ought to be given a medal for that. This med has really been a life saver, and apart from when irritible/stressed, I don't eat, eat, all day long anymore.

Even at my non paid work - if the biscuits, or should I say cookies are brought, out, other people might well, have, I don't - I have that much of willpower. Saving me for when I have lunch.

I want to get back into the relm of regular attending zumba gold/zumba, and working out in at home, so that I can still keep off the excess weight.

I wish you all the best in your healthier and physical endeavours; and I'll be popping into this thread, to check how you are doing, from time to time.

Natalie.

N

natalie

HI Valleygirl,

Off course, I don't mind, it was in fact Olanzapine.

I hope this helps.

Natalie.

valleygirl

valleygirl

I used to be very active and fit before I started Seroquel. I'm beginning to think that maybe I don't actually have bipolar disorder, but that it was triggered by being on an antidepressant, and then made worse by many stressful events. I am beginning to think that maybe my problem was more related to extreme anxiety, and that getting the anxiety under control would have solved my sleep problems. But now I am dependant on the Seroquel, as well as Zopiclone and Trazadone in order to sleep.

N

natalie

Hi Valleygirl,

May I make a suggestion, to help counteract your extreme anxiety, if you feel and are able to do so, could you possibly and might be with headphones, listen to music, for during the day, and into the evening, that way, you might find even though you're on med to help you sleep, you'll feel less anxious, less panicky, when and if you should be out and about. In fact you say that just recently you have been out for walks, maybe you could combine, the walks and at the same time, whilst walking listening to music, as long as safety and security isn't an issue for you; and music I feel, I find with me, does very much relieve frazzle, feeling and stress.

Apart from zumba, I'll workout to fitness dvds, doing traditional, and or contemporary dance aerobics workouts with toning, by exercising also, exercise will certainly help alliviate the pressures of stress, anxeity, depression, severely right down, to a mild level, you have to when you start workout or walk out on a regular basis.

I hope some of this will help you.

Natalie.

valleygirl

valleygirl

Part of the problem with the anxiety is that I seem to have developed a fear of being seen by people, so it's very hard to make myself go for a walk because there will be others in the park as well. I feel so terribly ashamed of how much weight I've put on, and I fear people looking at me and judging me.

N

natalie

HI Valleygirl,

I hope you are managing things a bit better now, in relation to getting up that much earlier in the mornings - or was I confused with somebody else.?

I usually bounce back after being unwell head wise with sinuses, and then to be working out again, groan, I have a leg infection about me at the moment, so I can't risk, getting that infected much more than it is, mind you i do have that area covered, even so.

In the next few days, I hope to be working out then.

Take care now,

Natalie.