• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Father always thinks there is a problem and never listens, help!?

M

Maina

For as long as I've known my father, he has this constant tendency to think there is a problem, and must fix it. Even when it is explained to him that there is NO problem, NO crisis, no evil man out to steal his money or to put him in prison, he still doesn't listen.

It takes hours, even days to get him to stop his paranoia. He always feels the need to be in control, to take charge, and never believes in anyone! He trusts no one! He will even accuse his wife and child of working with someone to take his money.

I need help. This has been going on for TOO LONG.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

It's hard to reason with someone who is paranoid. Have you talked to anyone else about your father? Has anyone else tried talking to him about it?

It might be worth waiting for a time when he's not paranoid (if he has these times) and talking to him properly then, when he might be more open for discussion.

calypso

calypso

Admin
There are no two reasons for paranoia the same, so I can't diagnose on here and no-one else can. We can't assume anything I'm afraid. As I said elsewhere tonight, we can't change how he is reacting, but you can change how you act in reaction. Can you think of anything you can do for yourself to deal with this?

has he always been like this? Or is this relatively new?

Last edited by a moderator: