• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fat

A

Apotheosis

Generally; All I see & hear of people on psychiatric meds - especially the anti-psychotics; is that they are overweight, usually by a lot.

Before I went on meds I was naturally very thin. My weight would fluctuate between 11 - 12 stone (max). Maybe a bit underweight for my size. At aged 25 when I was first put on regular & high doses of anti psychotics (I had been on them for limited periods twice before, but successfully stopped them), my weight ballooned to 18 stone in 6 months. I stopped the meds "Dead" a year later - was re-sectioned; & eventually agreed to a vastly reduced dose. That improved things a little. I have stopped meds twice since then & on each of these 3 occasions the weight has rapidly & naturally dropped off. My weight presently fluctuates between 16-17 stone. This is not my natural weight. Over Christmas I am back up to 17 stone.

I am at increased risk of certain health conditions from this increased weight. This weight is caused by meds. How many peoples health is seriously jeopardised by weight increase caused by meds? far too many I would think.

Is this a "good" pay off?

J

jamesdean

I'm on ad's anti psycotics and beta blocker and I gave up smoking and I mange to maintaain a steady weight of 13 stone with just alittle exercise which believe me I have to push myself to do because I'm in so much physical pain mostly 24/7 .I've woken up after just two hours sleep this early morning in frantic pain.
So it is achievable nothing meant personal or in malice I'm just expressing my view because when I gave up smoking I was petriffied that I would be putting on weight and not be able to loose I put on two stone and managed it.
You do have to watch whot you eat I can binge on whole packet of biscuits no problem I have to eat little often both because of crohns diseas and diabetes type 1 which is much differant to type two which is because of poor life styles and diet smoking etc. My friends been diagnosed with type two diabetes and with alittle exerxise and diet shes manging to control it and now shes going to slimming club because of a poor heart condition.
'm the last person to lecture anyone.
I have read your posts apo and I raelise you do have difficulties getting motivated perhaps I should of pm because I do care and I know how difficult life can be I'm having apersonal trainer now for 10 weeks and sure has life he phoned me at the start of the year without fail he suggested I swop the biscuits for yoghurt and I'm thi nking baout it. Take care Apo happy new year and good luck with the giving up smoking you can do it.

A

Apotheosis

Thanks James. I am getting some "dumbbells" tomorrow; as I hate the gym. I am also ringing some walking groups to join. I do go through phases of exercise; but the "problems" seems to be consistency - regularity; routine & self - discipline (around exercise). Having people to motivate me & help me with these things; & to encourage me with them would be a help. I do have plans this year of addressing my health. I am going to have another attempt at stopping the Ciggies. I have also wanted to go to tai chi groups for ages; I wanna start that this year too; as well as the walking & swimming. We shall see.

The physical aspect to my "Being" does need to be addressed - especially stopping smoking. On a mental & "spiritual" level; things are relatively good.

I do have a lot of difficulties around sleep. take last night as an example. I got to sleep around 4.45 am (usual) & I awoke at 8.30 am. I got a lot done today; & fell asleep on a sofa for an hour & a half in the late afternoon. Now I feel wide awake again. I generally feel so exhausted on awaking; that it takes me hours to wake up & get moving properly. I don't generally feel properly alert until around this time (12am onwards). I have tried many things around improving sleep. I do know that more exercise would help.

I have obvious "technology Issues" - internet addiction. I spend far too much time at a computer. This has benefits - but I see it as no proper substitute for "real life" interactions with people - how can it be? I have, recently, been seriously questioning what I am getting from prolific forum ,PM, MSN, & E-Mail writing? I must have written enough to fill a library over the past four years. I also question what anyone else is getting from my "interactions" also. I know I'm "outspoken" on many things; any "information" or knowledge I post is there to find anyway, if people care to look. I am not saying that I haven't found support & given it; because I have & do. It's just I question the quality, & the purpose of all "this"; & would my time be far better spent on other pursuits?

I think I seriously need to limit my "computer" time.

Thank you for your thoughtful concern & reading my posts. Happy new Year to you too; I hope that it is a good one for you.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

Please dont ever give up on this forum your position is quite noticably very repectful and I'm sure peole do get great encouragemnt from your post you are so knowledgeable in many aspects of life.
It is difficult the physical my mentor suggested me pairing up with this other guy for the gym well I nearly run a mile and he wants me to do a piece for the press about exercise on prescription,Whot would you do? do you think its much exposure, I was exhausted after doing world mh day and almost collasped.
There are still loads of things I cannot do I have no education because I was a nervous wreck at school I hoped that the social inclusion team would help me with that but they fucked up big time and I was left with nothing whilst the three of them were fighting for power.
Hopefully the day centre will help me now to achieve some education.

A

Apotheosis

Please dont ever give up on this forum your position is quite noticably very repectful and I'm sure peole do get great encouragemnt from your post you are so knowledgeable in many aspects of life.
Well; thank you very much James; but I question if that is true, & many people generally dislike "perspectives" which are in general opposition to the widespread use of meds; in opposition to orthodox psychiatry. & much of what interests me - I don't think too many people are interested in. The expression "all I know is that I know nothing" springs to mind.

It is difficult the physical my mentor suggested me pairing up with this other guy for the gym well I nearly run a mile and he wants me to do a piece for the press about exercise on prescription,Whot would you do? do you think its much exposure, I was exhausted after doing world mh day and almost collasped.
All I would say is - don't do anything that you do not feel comfortable doing; & don't do anything at a detriment to yourself. I am very wary, cautious & dis-trustful of mainstream media. Many years ago I went on television (not a delusion lol). I was very seriously mis-represented. I'm not saying that will happen with you. Just be aware of how many in the media operate. Television especially is almost solely; just about Ego, that's it, The TV industry is just full of egos; from the makers to the people who appear on it.

There are still loads of things I cannot do I have no education because I was a nervous wreck at school I hoped that the social inclusion team would help me with that but they fucked up big time and I was left with nothing whilst the three of them were fighting for power.
Hopefully the day centre will help me now to achieve some education
For particular reasons I missed a very large amount of early schooling. I have done quite a few courses. But there are many ways to learn. We have a "schooling" in "MH" that you cannot ever learn from a text book or a degree.

J

jamesdean

Thanks and I take all that on board but dont think that peole arent interested its just people often dont always reply if you see the % of guests that we have in proportion to memebers and them theres all the members that dont post i talk about this forum where ever I go.
Off the thread I have nite radio on n i just caught he dj talking whot a dick head man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL:
Take care I might try n sllep some:) James

J

jamesdean

I'm a little reluctant to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks though, I'm looking on digitalspy.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I think I seriously need to limit my "computer" time.
Me too. Once I have more 'real-life' stuff going smoothly my computer use will fall happily to the wayside. I did'nt even have a computer until 2005 and have had long periods of time without using it. I'm not sure if my current dependency is 'getting me through' or worse - hindering my progress in the 'real world'.

I agree that people, in general, quite fiercely reject ideas which are not familiar to them and are not mainstream. I believe this ongoing closed-mindedness can be quite fatiguing to people who do like to discuss those ideas.

I for one have taken to trying to keep my mouth shut about my passions and instead engage with people on matters we mostly agree on. Humour is a great bonding thing and I spend a lot of time in that mode to make myself more 'palatable'.

J

jamesdean

:rofl2:
Me too. Once I have more 'real-life' stuff going smoothly my computer use will fall happily to the wayside. I did'nt even have a computer until 2005 and have had long periods of time without using it. I'm not sure if my current dependency is 'getting me through' or worse - hindering my progress in the 'real world'.

I agree that people, in general, quite fiercely reject ideas which are not familiar to them and are not mainstream. I believe this ongoing closed-mindedness can be quite fatiguing to people who do like to discuss those ideas.

I for one have taken to trying to keep my mouth shut about my passions and instead engage with people on matters we mostly agree on. Humour is a great bonding thing and I spend a lot of time in that mode to make myself more 'palatable'.
I have a very close friend and I just laugh n laugh with her hsband its almost bizare that I can do this n yet my friend knows that I'm:mad: it is such great therapy how quite it happens I'm not sure but its just great fun we are almost:rofl2::D

A

Apotheosis

I also laugh a lot & find life very amusing; far more than people realise; it is a part of me quite deeply located; maybe it will come out more in the future. People don't get a lot of my humour; some do however. I have largely given up trying to explain or have conversations about certain things with many people in my "real life". On-line is slightly different; in that it's in black & white - of course that doesn't stop people ignoring, denying & disagreeing with it; but it makes it harder to.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
:rofl2:
I have a very close friend and I just laugh n laugh with her hsband its almost bizare that I can do this n yet my friend knows that I'm:mad: it is such great therapy how quite it happens I'm not sure but its just great fun we are almost:rofl2::D
Yes...great therapy! It is rare to meet someone without a sense of humour but it does happen occasionally - but that's okay because I love serious discussion too (but not quite as much!). :prop:

Laughter is very infectious....and some people have very infectious laughter...maybe there's an element of that with your friend's husband?

Or maybe you and he are just terribly funny!

My sense of humour is the one thing that has stayed intact throughout my MI. Sure....not much fun staring down the abyss but I can still find some of it funny sometimes.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I have largely given up trying to explain or have conversations about certain things with many people in my "real life". On-line is slightly different; in that it's in black & white - of course that doesn't stop people ignoring, denying & disagreeing with it; but it makes it harder to.
Well....I guess it's tough to be stating something you regard as truth and hear others deny it....but I suppose that's part of the way to be happier in life (for me anyway). If I believe strongly in something I prefer it does not upset me if someone else denies it.

It reminds me of the episode of Friends where Phoebe denies evolution.... :)

I find that series funny...and there better be no-one disagreeing with me! :rofl2: