• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Family and depression- should I tell them ?

M

Miliana

Hello.
I have, what I would call, huge problems with my family.
Being in university and still living with my parents I overheard their fights, but it's been that case since the day I met my stepfather.
Today I sort of hid in the kitchen and I guess they went off and I heard my father say that he didn't educate me, pointing at how useless I am. He said that my mom shouldn't even argue with him but instead yell at me, and other stuff.
My anxiety caused me into thinking that he "hated" me a long time ago, but still hearing him say those things made me feel extremely miserable.
I don't know what to do, I often go sleep in the stairwell became I don't want them to yell at me.
Without my family I have nothing left, even though they hate me.
I've been thinking about telling my mother that I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, though it wouldn't change anything, I know how she'll react.
I thought that maybe, it would feel better to tell them that their words have a negative impact on me, but everytime I want to do that I think back again that they just don't care.
I rely too much on this forum and I've been posting kind off the same threads, sorry for that..

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

Be ideal if you could move to dorms.

M

Miliana

@LoqLamp I wish I could, I've been looking for this kind of stuff but I'm pretty sure there is no dorms included with any university in my country :(

24thMAU

24thMAU

I don't think they truly hate you. Without going into mind-blowing specifics, I've been on the giving and receiving end of such abuse. When I was giving it, I was generally drunk (not making excuses). However, when sober, I was generally sorry and mad at myself. It cost me, my two daughters. However, at no time did I ever mean any of the bad things I said. I was angry, depressed, suffer from severe PTSD, and toss in alcohol. Not a good combination and you tend to take it out on the ones you love and are close to you.

I don't have a solution to your problem. As someone else said, moving away could be an answer. However, I would sit your mother down first and tell her how you feel and exactly what is going on. Including depression and anxiety. Her knowing my help put an end to the fighting, etc.

Good luck and know we are always here.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

What about finding a student place with some friends? Ton of crappy houses that take students in my country near the uni.