• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

False memories?

L

Lori_2315

I keep getting thoughts or memories that I think are true but are not. I had a “memory” of me abusing and hitting a pet I had. I love animals and would never do this, but I had such a vivid memory of doing it.

I brought it too my mums attention, crying and feeling really guilty (she was there in the memory) and looked at me as if i was crazy. Id been cutting his nails and he bit me on the thumb, causing me to bleed quite a bit. I wasn’t angry at the time and didn’t care, in the memory I was fuming and smacked him (I didn’t) but it was so vivid. (He was a rabbit)

At first I thought I couldn’t have done that, I would never had even thought of doing it. But then I started questioning it and eventually thought it was true.

I just want to make clear I definitely didn’t hurt him. But it was like a false memory, if that makes sense.

does anyone else ever get this? It’s happened about a few other things too. How can I tell if the other memories are true or false

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am sorry you are having such a distressing false memory. I get mixed up with my dreams and reality and often do not know if something was a dream or really happened. You know deep down you would never hurt any animal. You love animals and take great care of your dog. Maybe it would help to write that down and read it when you worry the memory is true.

R

Rex Smith

I keep getting thoughts or memories that I think are true but are not. I had a “memory” of me abusing and hitting a pet I had. I love animals and would never do this, but I had such a vivid memory of doing it.

I brought it too my mums attention, crying and feeling really guilty (she was there in the memory) and looked at me as if i was crazy. Id been cutting his nails and he bit me on the thumb, causing me to bleed quite a bit. I wasn’t angry at the time and didn’t care, in the memory I was fuming and smacked him (I didn’t) but it was so vivid. (He was a rabbit)

At first I thought I couldn’t have done that, I would never had even thought of doing it. But then I started questioning it and eventually thought it was true.

I just want to make clear I definitely didn’t hurt him. But it was like a false memory, if that makes sense.

does anyone else ever get this? It’s happened about a few other things too. How can I tell if the other memories are true or false
Two things could have occurred.

1. Repressed memory
You did the action but repressed the memory because of guilt and remorse. Eventually that memory will surface but since it was repressed the action might feel like a dream that never really happened. You'll also try to repress the memory again or immediately disprove that it happened. You'll question yourself repeatedly about that situation and feel guilt and remorse even if you don't accept it. People will seek professional help if it doesn't go away.

2. Vivid thoughts
When you imagine doing something with strong feelings and visual clarity. Like having a vivid dream and when you wake up you remember it so strongly that it takes some time to realize it was only a dream and not real memories. If those dreams are close enough to reality then you might have to call a friend or look into it further to confirm or deny the legitimacy.

Having to question reality can be frustrating and even scary at times but if you notice frequent occurrences I'd talk with a professional.

L

Lori_2315

Two things could have occurred.

1. Repressed memory
You did the action but repressed the memory because of guilt and remorse. Eventually that memory will surface but since it was repressed the action might feel like a dream that never really happened. You'll also try to repress the memory again or immediately disprove that it happened. You'll question yourself repeatedly about that situation and feel guilt and remorse even if you don't accept it. People will seek professional help if it doesn't go away.

2. Vivid thoughts
When you imagine doing something with strong feelings and visual clarity. Like having a vivid dream and when you wake up you remember it so strongly that it takes some time to realize it was only a dream and not real memories. If those dreams are close enough to reality then you might have to call a friend or look into it further to confirm or deny the legitimacy.

Having to question reality can be frustrating and even scary at times but if you notice frequent occurrences I'd talk with a professional.
Now that you mention the vivid thoughts, I think it might have been that. During lockdown I had lots of free time, so I was watching tv a bit more.

I remember watching a show about animals being rescued from abusive/ neglectful homes and feeling quite upset about it and feeling bad for the animals. There were people that would hit their animals, things like that. And I remember thinking it was horrible and disgusting what they were doing.

I think that might have had something to do with the fake memory I had. It’s happened quite a few times, where I think something’s happened, but it hasn’t.

R

Rex Smith

Now that you mention the vivid thoughts, I think it might have been that. During lockdown I had lots of free time, so I was watching tv a bit more.

I remember watching a show about animals being rescued from abusive/ neglectful homes and feeling quite upset about it and feeling bad for the animals. There were people that would hit their animals, things like that. And I remember thinking it was horrible and disgusting what they were doing.

I think that might have had something to do with the fake memory I had. It’s happened quite a few times, where I think something’s happened, but it hasn’t.
Have you experienced this often since quarantine? I've noticed the isolation and quarantine from covid has changed me. I've been writing daily to help understand my thoughts and memories. The boredom I'm experiencing is greater than I've felt in years, hopefully I'll adapt because I hate feeling this way.

Z

Zoe1

I had a memory come up in therapy a long time ago
which I later went on to think no that didnt happen
and it turned out in the end
I had remembered something that happened to my mother
like I was remembering my mothers memory

Zero One

Zero One

I've been having a false memory of a light switch being behind me when I enter a room and I tried to turn it on twice today and nothing is there

Zero One

Zero One

I've been having a false memory of a light switch being behind me when I enter a room and I tried to turn it on twice today and nothing is there
Today I went somewhere different and had to turn on the light in the bathroom this way. The voices say they were preparing me for that with the false switch but I don't totally believe them ...it was just odd when it happened. Maybe the false memory comes from when I was at this place before.