• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Faking Schizoaffective Disorder or another Delusion?

N

nightmare57

I have been on a continuous Community Treatment Order for 4 years and the Tribunal have just renewed it again for a further 6 months saying they've ''carefully considered all written material and all the professional evidence pointed in the same direction which is consistent and no contrary professional evidence. The schizoaffective Disorder is characterised by paranoid and grandiose delusions and auditory hallucinations, disturbance of sleep pattern, irritability and periods of extremely elevated mood followed by periods of depressed mood to the extent that he wishes to harm himself,the disorder is chronic and relapsing.

I have this belief that there is nothing wrong with me and I've faked the illness for financial gain, after 11 hospital admissions now could or would it be possible to malinger Schizoaffective Disorder for long periods of time without arousing suspicions, of them 11 admissions I've roughly spent 12 months on section in hospital these last 6 years, would a person get away with it for that amount off time or dose the person really have Schizoaffective disorder and lack insight?

N

nightmare57

Oh I'm now taking monthly Paliperidone 70mg injection, previously on maximum monthly dose Aripiprazole (Abilify) which apparently stopped working at the 3 week mark and they said I was psychotic again and I was admitted to hospital. Is it normal for people to think that there is nothing wrong with them when the medication is working. I'm in turmoil because I strongly believe I'm faking it. If a person was malingering would services be so involved like they are, seeing the LD community nurse once weekly, supported living manager having to take me to the depot appointments and with me being difficult in the past I have can drop in on day instead of having a set time with depot nurse. And getting 21 hours support package a week of social services, and attending day centre. I think they must think I'm a severe case with the amount of support they offer but I feel like I've faked everything, its really confusing.

C

Coast2

I think you might feel guilty for taking benefits when you should feel no guilt.

You have to be really ill to be admitted to hospital these days.

Hugs x

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

It is certainly possibly to be deluded about ones delusions imo.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I sometimes look back, and think why I have been off sick for the last 5 years. I get angry at myself, and feel frustrated. I think it is self-stigma.

In actual fact you could be picking up on psychic waves from stigmatizers.

N

NeatMonster

The way I try to gauge the actual severity of my disorders and the impact that they have upon me is to utilise the time I feel particularly 'well' to examine the times when I don't. By that I mean; try to look back on periods of serious delusion, hallucination and general psychosis from the calmer viewpoint of relative wellbeing. When I'm 'well' I can see just how disturbed things become when I'm 'unwell.' I try not to make value judgements about whether I deserve to be in receipt of certain benefits or hospital admissions and the like because they are, by their very nature, only generally offered to those who can be proven worthy of receipt. I think Coast2 nailed it in her response, as did burt tomato with his reference to self-stigma. BorderlineDownunder makes a valid point too though; I can see the thinking there.

I think an evaluation of your last bad period or episode would answer your question quite thoroughly. If schizoaffective disorder is the meeting point of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder then I'd say you deserve a medal, in addition to being given a break. Go easy on yourself. Psychiatrist's can generally see fakers a mile off.

Nice to meet you,

Monster