Faking DID?

SoggySlippers

SoggySlippers

. I don't understand why anyone would wish to have been diagnosed with any mental illness let alone be the worst at it! LOL - talk about crazy !
It's not just DID that is faked,there are many mental illnesses that are,for whatever reasons.

I know a few people that have faked illnesses just to get on disability so they dont have to work.They laugh,joke and brag about it and I find that disturbing too because I also know people that really do need to be on disability and they either had a very hard time getting it or they are still fighting for it.

I also know ppl that use their DX to gain sympathy and attention or use it as an excuse for everything they do or to excuse bad behavior.

I was talking to someone just last week that has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder,she needed someone to talk to during a rough patch.It became very obvious that what she really wanted from me was sympathy,she wanted me to say oh poor you,I am so sorry,I feel so bad for you,which I did say I feel bad for you because I understand what its like,but I did not pity her or coddle her.

I told her some things she could do to help herself,gave her a workbook that I knew would help,told her that with work and effort she could find ways to manage her anxiety,reminded her that her therapist can give her tools to help herself but her therapist couldn't 'fix' her,that she has to want to do that herself and it is up to her whether she puts in the work.

I don't think she was happy with what I told her.It is obvious she enjoys the attention and sympathy she receives and uses her DX to her advantage.She also posts on Facebook in order to gain sympathy and attention.She probably won't turn to me for advice again,but that's okay,I dont play into pitying anyone or telling them what they want to hear,I think its better to tell them what they need to hear.If I am asked for advice I want to help,not just be nice.

That was a little off topic but it annoys me when people don't honestly try to help themselves.I see it here on the forum often,ppl wanting attention and sympathy instead of trying to change things or help themselves.

V

veggiegirl3

I agree that a person can't always tell if someone is faking an illness. But, I think human connection is really important, and support forums are a way to get that connection. I can see why you're frustrated about people not wanting to get help, but I can also see the need for support that people may be seeking.

SoggySlippers

SoggySlippers

I think human connection is important too.And I also understand the need for support too,I need support myself too,every person does.

I just don't think that pitying someone and feeding into their own self pity is beneficial.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That was a little off topic but it annoys me when people don't honestly try to help themselves.I see it here on the forum often,ppl wanting attention and sympathy instead of trying to change things or help themselves.
There are pros & cons to a diagnosis & role of 'mental patient' - actual, feigned & degree of seriousness.

There is a large component of personal responsibility - But there is also a lot of social/environmental aspects to things, & varying nature/degree of the severity of underlying condition/difficulties.

It seems complex - There is behavioral - presenting speech/behaviour, that is really primarily the only thing anyone can go on.

There is the inner world. Behavioral presentations aren't necessarily reflective of the inner World.

There are all the grey areas concerning psychiatric diagnoses/disorders (various theories/pov) & the contentions surrounding it all - lack of any objective tests etc, Not that it means that mental illness doesn't exist when it obviously does. & there are myriad issues in trying to compare things, but there are again very obviously massive degrees/ranges of severity/problem.

It's hard to separate things out - In what ways are people unwell, what kind/degree of psychopathology is there? & i don't doubt there are varying degrees of it, people are unwell in various ways to various degrees.

A few people i know who claim to have mental health difficulties, i don't think do have them - other people i think have more serious/actual mental health problems. Not to say people don't have any difficulties, suffering & struggles - But in regards to what comes under a genuine mental illness/psychopathology & what is 'just' life - i think there are distinctions.

How much is also biologic - psychological - social - transpersonal? & what are the best approaches for people - It's all areas/questions that haven't been more satisfactorily answered.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
A few people i know who claim to have mental health difficulties, i don't think do have them - other people i think have more serious/actual mental health problems. Not to say people don't have any difficulties, suffering & struggles - But in regards to what comes under a genuine mental illness/psychopathology & what is 'just' life - i think there are distinctions.
How many people suddenly decide that psychiatry is nonsense & that there is nothing wrong with them? In cases there likely wasn't anything wrong with them to begin with - it was 'just' life - i think that can happen a lot with what comes under some diagnoses of bi-polar (as well as others) - controversial to say - But it does appear to be the case. Any mention of that & people are up in arms, but what is really going on with some people? Some presentations of bi-polar (& other conditions) are obviously severe/extreme - But how do 'we'/anyone separate it all out? with some people it's very obviously far more a behavioral presentation & 'normal' range of psychology/emotions (given circumstances).

There is also the other side of the coin with people claiming that there is nothing wrong with them when they're quite obviously insane.

[All imo]

SoggySlippers

SoggySlippers

You have got me thinking....

My husband simply cannot handle what I would consider minor anxiety,if he experiences it he rushes to the doctor,or even the hospital, right away.I,on the other hand,have experienced major panic attacks and dealt with them without seeing a doctor.

When he has described his symptoms to me during the anxiety,it hasn't sounded bad at all.I can't imagine his reaction if he ever had to experience the intensity of one of my panic attacks.

Yet,maybe even minor anxiety for him is experienced with as much intensity as my panic.Maybe its all about an individuals threshold and tolerance?I don't know.

There's a family member who is schizophrenic but claims he is perfectly fine,he believes that even when he is picked up by the police and court ordered into the hospital.Another family member complains how mentally unwell she is yet seems fine.

I thought I was completely fine yet I had undiagnosed DID.I simply wasn't aware that's what was going on.Once I was diagnosed I still didn't believe it.I actually never accepted the DX or believed it until after I was no longer dissociative,now in hindsight I can see it all so clearly and know that's really what it was.

Maybe the ones that don't try to help themselves and just seek sympathy and pity just can't see beyond what they are currently experiencing,like when I was DID.

I don't know..

A

Avalanche

Why would anyone fake it? It is weird how many people have it. I have it but it's not fun in any way. I'm tired all the time and its very embarressing depending on whos out, more so if i'm co-present with them. I try to hide it if anything, only a few people on sites like this and my partner and psychotherapists know. I was wondering if anyone with did has experienced silence before? Today my head is silent and it feels uncomfortable, like something bad is going to happen. I should appreciate it but im worrying. I dont know how to start a new post so im really sorry for tagging on yours.

P.S. Soggy slippers-i agree with your post. I didnt know I had it for years, just didnt remember. It's horrible when you first remember, some days I think ive imagined it all and think im going completely crazy then its all so real again when youve experienced it. I find the alters im not co present with the most worrying. I dont know what they do or say. I know they watch my favourite tv programmes because I have to keep trying to re watch everything.

Last edited:
A

Avalanche

Ugh, why cant we delete our posts? I tend to share more than i like sometimes so please ignore my last post, makes me cringe reading stuff i've wrote

SoggySlippers

SoggySlippers

I was wondering if anyone with did has experienced silence before? Today my head is silent and it feels uncomfortable, like something bad is going to happen. I should appreciate it but im worrying.
I experienced silence often,which made me doubt my DID diagnosis or made me think maybe I was faking,for whatever reasons.

cheshire

cheshire

I have DID, but have definitely met people who "fake" it.
While I know it is still controversial, I believe my diagnosis is true.

I understand your thinking, and in the real world perhaps that applies. But as they say, birds of a feather flock together. So it would make more sense that people would be more likely to congregate online. The anonymity is comforting.

L

lonewolf23

Hi there,

It's hard to believe, but people do fake diseases. For attention, sympathy, or the saddest: that if they didn't nobody would like them enough.

I had a friend who told me she had cancer. Even went as far as having a ''surgery'' and coming to work with a bandage around her neck. Lied about her grandmother's death, about having a fiance etc etc.. I found out because her lies weren't very good.. (said she had her bone marrow removed in her leg, it's in your back) (sent hospital pictures from google)

But when someone would tell me or posts online they have DID, I won't question that until proven otherwise. Most of the time you can tell when someone is faking a mental illness.

Last edited:
Nollie_x

Nollie_x

I was diagnosed with DID a long time ago and the scary part of it is that I didn't start experiencing the symptoms until after I was diagnosed and convinced I had it. For instance one day I was walking through the mall and this voice in my head said, "I want to go to Qdoba." And I was like "No, I want to go to McDonald's." I hadn't reached Qdoba yet but somehow I blacked out and next thing I knew I was standing right in front of Qdoba. My fear is if people are pretending to have it they might even start having symptoms of it.

S

soulful

I have been reading/using one particular childhood abuse survivor forum for many years and have noticed that quite a few people join that forum without DID and suddenly start "getting' DID the more they interact with members who also "act" DID. It starts off by wondering about DID, then they start using phrases like "My different parts" which then ends up in more detailed parts until they are full blown alters and the person is speaking DID language (my alters, my littles, being out,) At around the same time they usually also start talking (terrible) baby language which really is just a short hand for texting.

It is cringeworthy to watch as well as infuriating for those of us who suffer/live with it.

S

soulful

I forgot to mention that the same forum has also therapists reading forummembers/clients posts (the forum was first created for therapists who suffered from dissocistion/childhood abuse). I saw one of those therapists face to face and she tried in the first session to put false memories into my mind.

Clients beware!!

SoggySlippers

SoggySlippers

I have been reading/using one particular childhood abuse survivor forum for many years and have noticed that quite a few people join that forum without DID and suddenly start "getting' DID the more they interact with members who also "act" DID. It starts off by wondering about DID, then they start using phrases like "My different parts" which then ends up in more detailed parts until they are full blown alters and the person is speaking DID language (my alters, my littles, being out,) At around the same time they usually also start talking (terrible) baby language which really is just a short hand for texting.

It is cringeworthy to watch as well as infuriating for those of us who suffer/live with it.
I know exactly what you mean.It's hard to watch members join a DID forum and go from thinking maybe they're DID to suddenly,within a week or two(sometimes less) start claiming they have it,trying to prove it,suddenly using "we" talk,with elaborate inner sytems,with numerous insiders,talking little talk,etc.

It's usually the ones that self diagnose though.It's the ones that WANT to be DID,act like it's so cool,so cute,so fun,and it sickens me to see.

Nobody really wants to be DID,yet I see people that want the diagnosis.Some that complain because their therapists won't give them the diagnosis.Are you fkn kidding me?Why would anyone want it?

S

soulful

I know exactly what you mean.It's hard to watch members join a DID forum and go from thinking maybe they're DID to suddenly,within a week or two(sometimes less) start claiming they have it,trying to prove it,suddenly using "we" talk,with elaborate inner sytems,with numerous insiders,talking little talk,etc.

It's usually the ones that self diagnose though.It's the ones that WANT to be DID,act like it's so cool,so cute,so fun,and it sickens me to see.

Nobody really wants to be DID,yet I see people that want the diagnosis.Some that complain because their therapists won't give them the diagnosis.Are you fkn kidding me?Why would anyone want it?
Yes you would think the ones with a diagnosis are the ones who live with/suffer from DID but all too often therapists are very keen to diagnose DID in a client, it pushes up their status in that profession as they will then usually write essays of that client, hold workshops or become in some other way "experienced" in DID.

I think the DID thing that is sweeping over the internet is not just created by client but also by therapists. It is a mutual thing which, I would argue, has a lot to do with attachment issues on both sides.

S

survivor5791

Hi Folks

Its a good question to raise.

We all dissociate, no matter who we are, for some it becomes problematic when it takes over their life to the point of not functioning very well, for others they don`t know they do it.

I struggle with a dissociative disorder NOS, have done since I was a child, a lot from being beaten so much I was looking down upon myself getting beaten up. It doesn`t prevent me from functioning in life but it does make things really difficult especially when its coupled with the depression and anxiety, its quite hard work because I feel no motivation to do things and spend a lot of my time in a little dream world (which I hide from folk, I`ve had many years of practice!).

Why would anyone want to fake it?

I`m not sure, I guess there are a multitude of reasons why people fake these things. For some its hard to live in reality so they tell themselves and others they have dissociative identity disorder or depression etc. Whatever`s gone on, I think for a lot of people who present themselves this way are struggling with emotional maturity, I don`t mean that in a negative way at all, I just think that lot of us are brought up by parents who are not fully emotionally matured themselves and find it difficult to deal with children growing up so they behave in the only only way they know. For me, my parents were not emotionally mature and left me with quite a few things to live with.

I`ve also noticed for some like myself, my emotional maturity doesnt match that of my academic intelligence (I know this is a huge area of debate), I have a degree but cannot find work with it, I struggle with interviews and thats before I even start a job, I also struggle with communicating with people, I find it really quite difficult, I cannot stand up in front of a group of people because my brain just locks up tight, blocks any access to my thoughts, its really irksome. So, I am working in a job that doesnt match my CV, consequently I find myself really bored in my job as there isnt a lot for me to get my academic brain into, I dont feel challenged at all, so I find I float from one job to another. I feel like I am an extrovert locked inside an introvert!!

The other thing I`ve noticed is that so many people dont` realize they have a disorder of some kind until they are diagnosed, it just shows really how much people really don`t know about mental health, I keep thinking no wonder there is so much stigmatism surrounding mental health. I know its difficult to diagnose people with a mental health condition because that is a label and labels stick with people unfortunately, I know that because when I go to the GP for my stomach ailment, I am told its just a stitch (thats because GAD is written on my notes an I have never ever formally been diagnosed with it), no its not a stitch its actually a hernia!! But hey am just am anxious person who cannot distinguish between a stitch and a hernia, its daft because I know exactly what a stitch feels like well I should do because I do marathons, fell running etc am quite a fit person. Anyway I digress...!!!