Fake internet dating profiles

Hikikomori1979

Hikikomori1979

I had one "who was too good to be true" to try to get me to upgrade a profile i had on a certain website (account was deleted by the service within an hour) and ive been put off by internet dating

Besides, isnt internet dating designed for those who've been left behind in society? no offense to those that arent

Im better than pinning my hopes up on something thats a fantasy :low:

T

TheRedStar

Besides, isnt internet dating designed for those who've been left behind in society?
That seemed to be the general perception for a few years, and perhaps the desire to offer an alternative method of meeting people for those who - for whatever reason(s) - couldn't do so in normal/natural ways was at the heart of dating website creation. However, I think the use of dating websites is now seen as being perfectly socially acceptable... I've read that online dating is currently one of the top three methods of finding a partner (along with meeting someone at work, and meeting someone through friends).

Something that online dating offers is the facility to meet a wide range of people you'd never otherwise encounter if you stuck to meeting people through your everyday 'real world' life... I think this is what many people see as the main benefit of it. Also, the methodology allows users to secretly filter others out according to a number of traits and circumstances, which can be more difficult to do in real life without risking awkward conversations and hurt feelings.

However, the ostensible 'pro' of having so many profiles to sift through can - theoretically - amount to a 'con' I've seen referred to as the 'paradox of choice'. Basically - if I've understood the idea correctly - having too much choice in this context can make it very difficult to settle upon one person, as the belief can easily take hold that, with such a huge number of potentials just a message away and new members joining all the time, there could always be someone 'better' out there.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Some years ago i heard and/or read about internet dating sites being used and being useful for those who work long hours.

Y939

Y939

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've heard that a lot of women on dating sites are actually fake profiles, even on mental health dating sites. How can you tell? It's never really occurred to me that a man might not be real.

I use two dating sites, but not mainstream ones. I'm using ones for mental health problems and shyness, because the normal ones just scare the living daylights out of me. They are very friendly sites, but I've not met anyone in the year I've been "out there." :sorry: I do wish I could meet someone the traditional way, but I don't feel too embarrassed about using the sites because online dating is so common and accepted now. Millions on Match, eHarmony, OKCupid and Plenty of Fish. Then there's Tinder. Pretty much everyone seems to be doing it, no surprise really as everyone is glued to their screens! Age of the internet...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaky People 18