• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Eye-related phobia

S

Sinn

Hi

I have a strange fear of anything coming close to me eye. It is so strong that after a mere mentioning of the fear, when I shut my eyes, I feel like something sharp is going to pierce through my eyes.

Strangely it started with watching the movie Final Destination, where there is a scene of a ladder hitting the eye socket of a character. It haunted me as a child. I've worn spectacles since the age of 14 and contact lens since I was 16 yo. I don't seem to have a problem with it though. Sometimes when I see sharp objects, I am often scared. And the days when I wear contacts I am slightly conscious. I want to get my Lasik surgery done, but don't have the courage to go through it.
Has anyone managed overcoming this fear? Could use some pointers. :)

K

kati3d

Oh my God, I can't believe I'm not alone. I am a 35-year-old woman who has always been squeamish with eyes (squeamish as in, can't watch certain movies, have to leave the room sometimes, can feel physical responses to such situations including rising body temperature, sweating, nausea, weakness), but for some reason, the past two months have been especially terrible and I have been ruminating on bad things happening to my eyes. I've also been dealing with wicked bad eczema under my eyes for the past year, for which I now have medicated cream.
I've never sought an MHP for this but think it's time to do so and address this issue. Finding this thread has been like my body exhaling. For so long I thought I was alone....

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I'm not TOO bad, but I can't put eye drops in. I have to literally drop the liquid onto the very inner eye area and then tilt my head to the side and blink rapidly to get the drops to disperse into my eye that way.

I have NEVER had a shower where I let the water go over my entire head / face. I feel like I'm drowning and my eyes STING when they get water in them!

I also have a phobia of putting my head underwater in pools or at the beach, not just because of the pain and discomfort of my eyes, but just in general.

I could NEVER put in contact lenses. OMG NO! (yet I CAN apply eyeliner to the inner rim / waterline!)

K

kati3d

I'm not TOO bad, but I can't put eye drops in. I have to literally drop the liquid onto the very inner eye area and then tilt my head to the side and blink rapidly to get the drops to disperse into my eye that way.

I have NEVER had a shower where I let the water go over my entire head / face. I feel like I'm drowning and my eyes STING when they get water in them!

I also have a phobia of putting my head underwater in pools or at the beach, not just because of the pain and discomfort of my eyes, but just in general.

I could NEVER put in contact lenses. OMG NO! (yet I CAN apply eyeliner to the inner rim / waterline!)
I tried to put in contact lenses once and it was a terrible experience. Needless to say, they did not go in and never have. Same here with the waterline, and I used to do wedding makeup so I was OK with other people, too. I don't know what has happened in the past few months to exacerbate this. Sometimes I wonder about any validity of past-life regression. Are we holding on to traumas that came before us?

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I tried to put in contact lenses once and it was a terrible experience. Needless to say, they did not go in and never have. Same here with the waterline, and I used to do wedding makeup so I was OK with other people, too. I don't know what has happened in the past few months to exacerbate this. Sometimes I wonder about any validity of past-life regression. Are we holding on to traumas that came before us?
I wonder about this too. I think I may have drowned in a past life.

A

Anxietyhell

I have had fears /phobia re eyes for 30 years, due to something when younger.. I still have terrible fears and anxieties at times.. If I become upset /overwhelmed with stress etc then I can become bad again and think all sorts of scary things..

K

kati3d

I have had fears /phobia re eyes for 30 years, due to something when younger.. I still have terrible fears and anxieties at times.. If I become upset /overwhelmed with stress etc then I can become bad again and think all sorts of scary things..
What do you do to calm these thoughts or clear them from your mind?