Eye opening stats for world Mental Health per population

LizBo

LizBo

I thought I'd upload a few page snapshots for your info. If you want to visit the site itself, link is:
Mental Health It's very comprehensive and provides comparisons between 1990 and 2017.

News headlines report the global economy and global warming
Where's their reports on disordered mental health (global) numbers?

I hope you appreciate these graphs. :geek:

Breakdown of disorders worldwide.PNG

World MH stats per capita.PNG

Schizophrenia stats per capita.PNG

Deaths from EDs per capita.PNG

Open a discussion if you'd like.

J

Jules5

Wow it is hard to collect scientific data all this World but it certainly a start. I see my Country as being high statistically on all parts of samples. We collect more data here in the US and it is available to everyone some Countries will not let you collect information even though it may show up. It is a bigger portion than all the numbers I think.

What is bothering this world? It sure is not cleaner ways of doing things-are world is going down to ground zero-no one will be able to live in this environment soon. So we will all be equal then no mental health illness will make a difference we should look at the global stats.

LizBo

LizBo

Yep; absolutely!
What I've presented is only a portion of the research paper. There's plenty to read and lots of graphs to peruse.

Australia for instance has the highest stats (6% of our population!) for anxiety, yet for ED deaths, we're one of the lowest and the US has the highest. I wonder if these represent treatment success rates or population numbers.

Our global future? Sigh.. as always, there has to be a catastrophe before heads turn and policy's reformed. I think we're heading for a huge awakening in this respect.

LizBo

LizBo

I'd really like to discuss this further @Jules5 but my bed beckons. (2am here) Will check in tomorrow my time.
Take care and bye for now.. 🖐

J

Jules5

Hi Lizbo I hope you are sleeping away right now. I worry so much about the third world countries and how they are struggling. But I read a research study where people in third world countries are happier than the leading economies.

Not sure why here in the US we are having problems with our borders-maybe inside plumbing and toilet paper people want these things. If their government is not helping that is the culprit not the people-go after the Governments TRUMP.

We have Puerto Rico we are taking care of with US dollars and their government is corrupt they do not use the money for the people. BUT I bet who ever is crooked is not HAPPY. WE always want something more.

I look at my mental Health and I always want something more a quick fix anything BUT it does not work that way as we can see from the Forum. Just like the people trying cross over our borders it is not working that way.

We had in past years a lot of people from Cuba come here to Florida looking for refuge illegally-but they all got jobs and now they run Miami Beach. I love the Cubans they are ambitions and they survived all the things they had to to get here and they worked.

I am 57 years old and I worked all my life here in the US-what I got from it is shelter safety and family ties. Due to my mental outburst my family has nothing to do with me anymore outside of Hi that is that. Working well my mental health disturbed a lot of jobs I have had in the past. I still have shelter security and safety. And I have plumbing and toilet paper and electric I even can drive a car.

Sorry about the long post I am caught up in all the whole worlds problems and outcomes. Talk soon Lizbo Love and hugs

LizBo

LizBo

Hi again @Jules5;
Sleep? Not much I'm afraid. So I'm here writing to ease the tension.

I must say, when things were at their lowest I was really preoccupied with 'world' events and problems too. It seemed to heighten anxiety/panic so I stopped dwelling and focused on my little part of the world instead.

It's a lot smaller yes, but oddly has many of the same issues. Boarders - ensuring I only allow people I trust and know into my home/life; poverty - living on edge wondering sometimes where my next meal will come from; employment - trying to find enough confidence and brain function to cope with a job and so on.

I can't control people like Trump, but I have a voice. I use it as best as I can to 'count' as a member of a global community. And; I give.

On forums such as this, my intellect, voice and heart are my treasures. I share them with others who need to learn, be heard and validated. One ripple in a very large pond. That's where our value and worth exists Jules.. one step, one breath and one success at a time.

J

Jules5

Hey Lizbo I have read a lot of your post and they are good. The heat index hear is a 110 degrees. way over the healthy level. But this is Florida we have always been like this-I know in the NorthEast they have record breaking temperatures right now.

I am not sure what is really happening in the world that is why I loved your post so much.

I do know you need some sleep. I hate insomina Makes me crazy the next day. I could not imagine having a job right now-I would be so scared of not sleeping enough to get to work.

We have jobs here in the US. It is all about big business though. They suck you into another world that I use to believe in when I was younger. I have changed my mind.

I think if we put the disease of money on the charts we would see 100%. This is why people act like they do always trying to find something better.

What is better what does it mean? My heart and soul goes into helping others. Pray for me as need a volunteer job where I will be able to care about people.

Please get some sleep. I wake up at 2 am-nothing to do really as I have roommates and can not make noise.

Here in the US we are having a hard time with nature-and global warming. I know in other parts of the world they are having it hard to. Greece just had a earthquake. Storms are getting ready to roll in. See what this year brings.

I live in Hurricane land so hopefully they all pass us by-I hate being without electric I am so spoiled most people do not have electric. What a world we live in. Love and hugs

LizBo

LizBo

Wow; 110 degree's? Now that's hot!!! 🥵

We get temp's like that out west (up to 125) but they're a rarity where I live. Most days in Summer it's between 85 and 104 but getting hotter each year. We used to have good rainfall and a couple of decent snow falls during our cold climate, but those patterns are long gone.

Australia's always been a drought stricken country but never this bad. My state's water levels haven't been so low - ever! This Winter (now) it's been like Spring. The poor trees, birds and wildlife are confused and no wonder.

But.. politicians (and a few radio shock-jocks) are still not admitting there's merit to global warming. I was angry and embarrassed when we were the only country who didn't sign the Kyoto Accord a few years ago. (Pollution Emission Levels)

Thanks for the compliment too btw. You seem a caring and sensitive young woman; power to ya!

Well, better hit the hay and try sleeping again. The heavy traffic lulls me into a deep sleep during the day. Keeping vampire hrs has become a bit of a habit I'm afraid. It's a quarter after ten and I'm starting to nod off at my laptop.

Thanks for chatting Jules. :)
Take care;
Liz :hug1:

J

JasonR28

The problem with "anxiety" (and I will stick my neck on the line by saying this) is it's actually fake and not even anxiety for many people who claim to have it.

The thing we have to first consider is what is "anxiety". It stems right from being a natural worry or fear (normal), to some excess thoughts and symptoms (mild) to full blown severe symptoms.

It's graded on scales. Let's take the high end of anxiety, very severe. Those people are shoved in the same category as the sort who say "Got a meeting at work today, feel nerves, must be anxiety, best get to the doctors and get it diagnosed".

I find it rather annoying seeing that Anxiety is supposedly the most common MH problem and worse still it get's treated the same way regardless of how severe or mild it is.

It kind of makes it seem like the least severe and if anyone with MH problems is likely to get better, it's those with anxiety.

On that scale, 3.7% have "anxiety". I'd love to know the actual breakdown. How many have very mild/normal anxiety (probably 2.5%) Moderate? (probably 0.9%) Severe? (probably 0.3%).

The same can be said for depression in terms of mild/moderate/severe.

When it's grouped together like that, it makes it seem the "least serious" problem. I actually feel quite upset and annoyed at how people like myself who suffer the severe form of it are treated the same way as those who have normal/mild anxiety and then I'm repeatedly told how "common" it is which makes it seem so trivial.

LizBo

LizBo

Thanks for your comments @JasonR28

I've read quite a few posts like yours over the years, but haven't actually met anyone who claims to have anxiety and doesn't. It's probably the opposite; many people I know suffer in silence. Is your opinion based on experience or something you've read for instance?

I do however agree there's a difference between feeling anxious and suffering anxiety. One example would be young people questioning their feelings during exams; they reach out online to quell their fears and are bombarded by info they're too young to understand.

I'd like to talk about a passage you wrote:

'The thing we have to first consider is what is "anxiety". It stems right from being a natural worry or fear (normal), to some excess thoughts and symptoms (mild) to full blown severe symptoms'

Anxiety's actually a survival stress response of the (primal and reptilian) brain and therefore, a common symptom of ptsd and complex ptsd. At its worst, it can render a person completely incapable of functioning which you're obviously aware of, as am I.

It was first identified and formally categorized by the psychiatric establishment during/after WWI for soldiers returning from active duty. True anxiety's a severe symptom of something far deeper than worry. Though, worry can trigger it due to damage the brain has incurred during a traumatic event such as rape, long term abuse situations in childhood or adult domestic violence. It's also a common response for emergency service personnel like paramedics.

If you consider these examples, it's no wonder anxiety plagues humans. Indicators reflect its prevalence via diagnosis stat's, so countries with fewer resources probably wouldn't have accurate data.

Healing our wounded and damaged brains is the way to mental health. It's not a personality issue or symptom of not being strong or 'enough', a common misconception.

J

Jules5

Our world is becoming smaller and smaller-we are actually trying to compile Mental health on a Global Scale. My lawyer told me who is taking care of my disability case that an anxiety attack only last five minutes-I think not I was sitting here for two hours with shaky legs, upset stomach and inability to think, it got worse as the time moved to the fear I was having. Now that the anxiety has disappeared because I dealt with the situation I feel calm.

I know what it is like to worry and the symptoms thereof-The anxiety comes in when you lose your ability to cope. I almost peed myself a few hours ago worrying. It is like your whole body just breaks down and it is like water trying to go back into a solid state. Anxiety is serious-anxiety is a name for something that is really worrying somebody and it does have an end.
What is the solution for people with mental health problems.

In the US mental health problems is a liability for people. You have to pull your own weight without pulling someone down with you. Our society here is so stressed out. I really believe people are all under some kind of stress that is not ending, causing mental health issues. Therefore the USA rating higher in all the charts. Plus the fact we are more data available than most countries.

Jason I know anxiety and you have a friend with Lizbo and I. We would not be posting if we were not concerned about ourselves and others. Lots of hugs and love

LizBo

LizBo

Hey Jules;

I'm sorry you're suffering with anxiety. It's tough isn't it.
I know exactly how it feels having spent yrs coping with crippling symptoms. I'm in recovery now thank goodness.

I guess the worst of it's not knowing where it comes from, when it's going to hit and how long it'll last. It took me 3 yrs of intensive therapy to finally grasp why I was affected and start healing. Hard work I must say.

I only had one admission during those times, though I should've been there long before due to the madness I experienced. I live alone so there wasn't anyone to help or tell me a psych ward was even an option. My doctor isn't a 'believer', so there wasn't much support there.

I guess the research paper stat's don't truly reflect the seriousness of MH disorders in this respect. Both you and Jason mention this point. I didn't focus on it as I see it as part of my past, not current situation and not something I like to think about as it was a time of great foreboding and fear of dying alone in my home.

Anxiety was only one symptom of many; panic attacks, suicidal ideation, psychosis, delusional thinking, flashbacks, dissociation, depression, sleep deprivation and agoraphobia. I'm lucky to be alive to be honest.

The cause? Phew! Where would I start? Let's just say it's from a life of trauma, tragedy and dysfunction. What saved me? My intellect, courage and will to survive.

It's odd, victims of abuse are survival experts. When I hear people talk about their woes sometimes, I shake my head wondering how they'd go facing even a small portion of what I've gone through.

My mother's exhibited c-ptsd symptoms since I can remember, but she doesn't acknowledge them as a major concern. So stat's don't accurately reflect true numbers in this regard either.

Hope your day's been ok. Thinking of you..
Liz 🤗

J

Jules5

You give me hope Liz-I am so happy you are in remission. I believe I am still in the middle of my crisis breakdown. I to had a horrible 20 years of living in pure hell with myself. Now I am older and just do not feel anything anymore. No joy of happiness of any real kind. I think I should be admitted for a stay at mental health treatment. I have been there before but not under the right circumstances.

I am a fighter. Right now my life is being dependant on my cousin for everything. I do not work. I do keep the house clean and watch after 4 dogs when he is at work. But any more effort than this is over coming me with anxiety.

I see that you are active and alert. Where did you find that article? Just wondering as I have internet and a trillion things are out their but I do not find them. I guess I have lost all interest in things. Maybe it is the loss of my independence. I can not figure it out. I am safe secure have food shelter great neighbors no friends-my family stopped talking to me due to my mental health outburst.

I am going to see my mom this weekend 1200 miles away in Ohio. She is 83 and going through chemo treatments-so she has changed a lot since I have last saw here. She use to be a full figured woman but now she has lost so much weight It will be hard for me at first to accept what is happening to her. Out of sight out of mind.

Well I hope you have slept well. Lots of hugs and love your way Julie