• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Extremely confused & frustrated...

C

Captain-Spectacular

Hello there. I'm new here and just to clarify, I'm not offcially diagnosed as Bipolar I would just like to hear some opinions from people who do.

I experianced abuse as a child and up until a few years ago it never really hit home that I didn't have a normal childhood. I suffer from Anxiety and racing thoughts, yet recently a few close friends have noticed my moods have been suffering rapid changes and that I sometimes make little to no sense with my conversation. I know that this can be associated with Bipolar Disorder but as far as I'm aware that's a heriditory condition and I dont think anyone in my family suffers from it. I'm in no way assuming that I am Bipolar, I'm just so confused because I've never known Anxiety to cause extreme mood swings. I've been to my GP several times regarding my Anxiety but I just get passed off as a "angst filled teenager" and to be honest, I'm starting to believe that I'm making this all up. I'm trying to ignore my racing thoughts and control my irritability but I get so frustrared because I don't know what's wrong. Could anyone possibly help?

Thank you.

C

Chuck B

Hi Captain,
My spouse is bipolar - and you are correct not to leap to such a conclusion about yourself. Yes, there very often is some family history of bipolar disorder... And given the childhood that you describe, the symptoms you display should receive a proper medical diagnosis, and not just passed off as an 'angst-filled teenager' (weren't we all?? :) ).

You speak of friends who have pointed out some of the changes - it sounds like you have some very good friends who care about you quite a bit. Perhaps one of them could go with you to your next appt. I am a big believer in taking someone along to the doc, because such symptoms as those you describe often limit our ability to speak for ourselves.

Have you shared with your GP what you've written in this post? If not, perhaps you could print it out and share it with him/her. Any other thoughts you may have on the matter could also be written down so that you have them in front of you during your appt. If s/he persists with the 'angst-filled teenager' stuff, then perhaps it's time to seek a second opinion.

And one other thing - I do not believe you are making this all up. You are too well-spoken for that, and I applaud your self-awareness. You are on the right path, and I urge you to seek further guidance from a skilled mental health care professional.
Chuck B

C

Captain-Spectacular

Hello Chuck,

I know all these things could be to do with Post Traumatic Stress but, as you said, I would be better off getting a second opinion.

I've never had the confidence to confinde in someone about my past or my current feelings, so my GP almost seems out of the question. Expressing my worries anonomously seems to be helping though. I will take up your idea of having a trusted friend come with me because I really want this sorted out.

Thank you very much for your concern and your advice :)

N

neena

bipolar?

Hi there,
First let me introduce myself, I am the spouse that Chuck B mentioned in his reply to you. I have been diagnosed bipolar for about 8 years now. My GP was the first one to put his finger on what was wrong. It sounds as if your GP is not really helping you. Don't be afraid to go to someone else. You might start by asking your friends what they think about their doc.You might even want to start with a therapist, that alone could help you filter what you need to tell, and maybe help you be more at ease with talking to a doctor. I would definitely consider seeing a Psychiatrist. I have been seeing the same Psychiatrist for 8 years now and would never consider changing. I can tell you that if you can confide in a close friend take that person with you at least to your first appointment. Chuck is right, I know there have been many times when I was not in shape to talk for myself,and I have been blessed with him to go with me. Your symptoms sound so familiar to me. I was definitely suffering from racing thoughts and had trouble conversing, my thoughts would change in mid-sentence, and I would ramble on. Yes anxiety too,but thankfully most of it is under control now. I do take medication and I think it has been a Godsend for me. Chuck is right you are very well spoken and also self-aware,don't let the stigma of mental illness or anyone person convince you not to seek help. You can find an answer.
neena

C

Captain-Spectacular

Hello there,

You've both been very helpful in assisting me to understand wht might be wrong. I have a few questions though. If I am Bipolar, is it common in teenagers? and I hope you don't mind me asking but how old were you when you were diagnosed?

I am going to change my GP because she knows my history and for some reason I feel as if she won't believe me if I were to fully tell her how I feel. Sometimes I feel fine whenever I go to see her and end up never telling her the full extent of my mood swings. I think I may take my boyfriend with me because he was the one who pointed out that I can ramble on in my sentences and how I always seem on edge, plus he's at the receiving end of all my crap moods and he pointed out that this isn't normal. If he hadn't I probably wouldn't have been any the wiser. It does seem like a very helpful idea to take someone with you. As you said, you feel as though you can't talk for yourself which I can relate to all too well.

I'm finally going to get the courage to go to a new GP and get this sorted out. Even if I'm not Bipolar I would like it to be under control. I just thought since my symptoms are apparently very similar to the suffers, I'd seek a little bit of help and advice and it's worked. Thank you very much and I'll no longer let the worries of being considered as "mentally unstable" bother me! :)

Q

Queenie

I am not a medical professional, however I have an uncle with bipolar disorder and my I suggest my might not have bipolar. It sounds like, to me, like depression, and A type of PTSD and/anixety. Men who suffer with depression can suffer with irritablity and anger.

See your GP to be referred for a diagnosis.

In bipolar disorder mania will present itself with many other behaviours and features as well as either irritatablity or a elated mood. There does seem, going by what u are saying showing any other sign of mania.

V

vintage85

Captain-Spectacular, stigma and dismissiveness plague and in many ways inhibit proper treatment. Sometimes doctor's can make their patients feel as if they are either overreacting or that their problems are imagined, i.e. not real. Only you, however, know what's truly going on and what you are experiencing. You are wise to now rush into accepting, or prematurely identifying as, bi-polar. Anxiety wreaks havoc on our bodies, mental states, and emotions. It can manifest as physical pain, create agitation, irritability, and nervousness, and depending on its severity, can cause depression. Anxiety can make it difficult to focus and can cause confusion. While it is true that bi-polar is heritable, it isn't always. Further, many who suffer with mental health conditions do not seek help, and there are many people who suffer with the condition in silence. As such, if you do have bi-polar it is possible that someone in your family has undiagnosed bi-polar. Assuming mental health conditions are genetic, and therefore heritable, you could also have the condition even if there isn't a family history. This has to deal with the relationship between gene expression, gene mutation, and environment. Gene expression is largely related to environment, and so it is plausible that you could have bi-polar in the absence of a family history.

Having said all that, I am not attempting to convince you of a diagnosis. I am merely presenting facts regarding heritability and gene expression. As I said, anxiety could potentially cause the issues you are experiencing. What is most important is being honest with your GP. If the GP doesn't listen, then you may want to find a psychiatrist or therapist and speak open and honestly with them. I have found, however, that psychiatrists are quick to want slap on a diagnosis and prescribe medication. A therapist may be less likely to do this. I hope you are able to find the answers you seek and that you are able to get the help you need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bipolar Forum 4