• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Extreme fear of sleeping help

T

Tarikrs7

Hi everyone
I am 19 years old
Well my problem began in March when I started worrying about my studies which resulted in developing insomnia
At first it was manageable but sadly it developed into a fear of not sleeping which perpetuated my insomnia
The worst thing that happened is that one day when I was trying to sleep a question popped in my mind `why we don t feel the moment of falling asleep ` this thought triggered an intense anxiety that I struggle with it every single second I m always thinking that sleep is like death I fear that we close our eyes and we just don`t know how we will fall asleep also I fear doing something inappropriate while sleeping and I fear what kind of dreams will be awaiting me what can I do to overcome this it`s so debilitating ...

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry you are afraid to sleep. That must be so distressing. Have you thought about taking to a therapist? They may be able to help get to the root of your phobia so you can overcome it.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Tarikrs7!

Welcome to the forum! I can see this being a very uncomfortable thing to experience every night. I can't imagine not getting my sleep out of fear. You poor thing! 😭

What I recommend more than anything is to face the fear head-on. Ask yourself why this fear exists. Why are you afraid you'll do something inappropriate? Unless you sleep-walk, that'd be impossible -- you'd be asleep. Why is it like death to you? Why is that so bad?

Take some time to really understand your fear. Let the answers come to you, along with whatever reactions and emotions they elicit, and allow yourself to be okay. Clearly, sleeping has become a terrible thing to you and it doesn't have to be. Take away any negative thoughts you've attached to sleeping. You'll then be able to move past it.

I also agree with bpd2020. Therapy can go a long way to helping you overcome your sleep phobia. There may be an underlying issue you have yet to identify. A kind therapist can help guide you in the right direction towards a better night's sleep.

I know this is going to be hard for you, T, but you can do it. Be okay with not sleeping, be okay with the fears that come with sleep, be okay with making mistakes, and you'll finally be okay no matter what happens.

Good luck to you! Stay safe!

one light

one light

Hi welcome here... One thing 'most' people here have in common is they are either in a dark/difficult place right now with a problem with their mind or have been previously - ive been there several years ago in that dark place with over sensitive hearing, depression, anxiety, for many years, so I know - that is corrected now by the way...

And since in recent years I have been researching relentlessly the strength of mind - also dreams, lucid dreams and especially sleep... Is there something else that you've not mentioned yet that's bothering you, things that have happened in your sleep, I have advised so many with so many 'sleep issue' problems over recent years....

Some simple advice I offer you - last thing at night and first thing in the morning it is so important to think of good things... Pick 3 - it could be picturing the face of someone dear to you, somewhere you went to in recent times, or something nice you did for someone else, or they did for you - 'soak those thoughts' and images up before going to sleep over and over, then maybe change them randomly for the next night for something else.

Power of thoughts is so important - especially so first thing in the morning, and 'not' to think of problems, you 'will' sort those out later one way or another - first thing in the morning you have to treat your mind/body/spirit to good thoughts its a boot up for the day as in a system reboot ready for the day ahead.

Also when you are having trouble sleeping remove the word 'fear' right out of your vocabulary, just remove it, change it to a 'problem' to deal with, and 'I will'... You mustn't let fear set in with the thought of the moment you go to sleep, just let sleep happen naturally...

Try this - 'after' you have gone over the 3 nice thing you have chosen to think about - and this is a good one for aiding sleep - recite in your mind over and over - 'lovely gorgeous beautiful light' - or 'peace joy and happiness' - or similar, just make your own up if you prefer - but they have to be high energy vibrational 'high vibes' energy words like 'love and light' for better health - just write them down and recite them, so you know them off by heart...

I write all this because it may help, and also help others here as well - good luck...

Faith198

Faith198

I had this when I was a teenager and I know how awful it is. I don’t even remember what brought it on, I just knew I was afraid to fall asleep and cross over into the other side. The best thing I can recommend is meds, but if you don’t like that option I’d recommend something to distract you. When you’re in bed laying down, put some headphones in or keep your phone on and watch a video. Whatever you wanna watch. Don’t have it loud but it will distract you (Hopefully) and help you get to sleep. For me it feels like someone else is comforting me. It sounds like you have some pretty bad anxiety atm so I’d recommend seeing a doctor. It’s tough being sleep deprived bc you are so afraid of sleep. I def get where you’re coming from. It’s not a good way to live. You deserve to get a good nights rest. I hope they get this figured out for you soon

one light

one light

I was wondering why I was drawn to answer this particular post - I try to help people, I used to have a saying in my early retired years 3/4 years ago 'who can I help today' - still applies, but why this post - now I see a connection 'tinnitus' was up a notch last evening and this morning, that's when I get guidance and I wasn't listening, and then answer came this morning...... And yes we all have Spirit Guides...

And while I am discussing spiritual for a moment - anyone looking on now considering ending it, because there will be someone, 'don't'!! It is not the way cutting life short - get help on here, or ask local or pick the phone up now and 'get help' then come out of your darkness and look for the light - but get some help... the light of 'every day' is so beautiful once you drag yourself out of your darkness - I have been there in that darkness and learned so much since - so pick the phone up now or message on here somewhere, and get help...

I think there's more to this thread not yet been said - so I'll tell you about me... I had a NDE 5 years ago and I learned so much and then researched power of the mind I now help out on a spiritual forum, and hopefully continue helping on here...

So back to this message - your problem was/is fear of that very moment going to sleep, and this morning suddenly I realise that's the moment I've been working so hard to achieve, and I'm hoping this might help you and others in some way, it could even be the 'key' for you to correct things...

Because ive done 2 Astral Projections over recent years, and something called trance teleportation as well, and Ive been trying to reach and 'be aware' of that very moment just prior to sleep, so 'one' can let the body go to sleep but the mind stays awake... So we both have something in common only the other way around as in 'fear' and 'hope'...

I hope this might make a bit of sense to you and help in some way - and we're here if you want to chat...

Zero One

Zero One

I went through this before but I can't remember right now what helped me. I remember my mind calming back to reality where sleep is safe and not filled with nightmares and hallucinations...and I was able to sleep in peace again. I just wish I could remember more.