• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Extreme Fear of cats

L

Lj123

I’ve got some mental health issues mainly anxiety.
If somthing bad happens I’ll do everything in my power to stop that experience from happening again.

since I was young I was never to fused on cats, Iwouldn’t say it was a fear but they did make me comfortable if I was around one. At this point I thought it’s not a big deal they won’t hurt me.

then fastForward to my adult life, I was attacked by a horrible vicious cat. Everything about the encounter was horrible the sounds the cat was making, etc.
since that moment I’ve not been the same I can not be around or near a cat if I’m outside I’m on constant alert looking out for cats, even if I hear one it freaks me out I’ll sweat out have a panic attack. This is just continuing to get worse I live in a block of flats where a few people own cats so somtimws the cats are outside waiting to be let in. This has stopped me from going out alone because I’m scared I know that sounds ridiculous. I’m disabled physically and have been battling mental health for years, I can’t deal with this on top.
I read about people who go see Somone to help them get over there fear but I can’t do rise because the last step is having to be arojnd or hold a cat I can’t do that I could never do that and even if I could that would only make me feel more safe arojnd that 1 cat I’d still fear the rest. I don’t know how to do I don’t like to talk about this to people because there reaction is “it’s only a cat” I’m aware of that but my brain just thinks of danger as soon as I see one or hear one. I don’t know why I’m writing this on here tbh I don’t think any one can help me.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can understand why you fear cats after the attack. It is not silly so please do not think that. Your fear is a response to what happened. I understand phobias are often treated by exposure therapy but a good therapist would make you feel very comfortable before it gets to that stage. I think therapy would really help you with this.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I’ve got some mental health issues mainly anxiety.
If somthing bad happens I’ll do everything in my power to stop that experience from happening again.

since I was young I was never to fused on cats, Iwouldn’t say it was a fear but they did make me comfortable if I was around one. At this point I thought it’s not a big deal they won’t hurt me.

then fastForward to my adult life, I was attacked by a horrible vicious cat. Everything about the encounter was horrible the sounds the cat was making, etc.
since that moment I’ve not been the same I can not be around or near a cat if I’m outside I’m on constant alert looking out for cats, even if I hear one it freaks me out I’ll sweat out have a panic attack. This is just continuing to get worse I live in a block of flats where a few people own cats so somtimws the cats are outside waiting to be let in. This has stopped me from going out alone because I’m scared I know that sounds ridiculous. I’m disabled physically and have been battling mental health for years, I can’t deal with this on top.
I read about people who go see Somone to help them get over there fear but I can’t do rise because the last step is having to be arojnd or hold a cat I can’t do that I could never do that and even if I could that would only make me feel more safe arojnd that 1 cat I’d still fear the rest. I don’t know how to do I don’t like to talk about this to people because there reaction is “it’s only a cat” I’m aware of that but my brain just thinks of danger as soon as I see one or hear one. I don’t know why I’m writing this on here tbh I don’t think any one can help me.
Its understandable to have a phobia if you had a bad experience. I've only conquered one of my 2 phobias.

PurplePrinny80s

PurplePrinny80s

Phobias don't have to be rational. You feel how you feel. Is there a way to contact your neighbor to tell them you have a phobia of cats and if they could be mindful of their cats being outside? You aren't saying "Keep your cat inside I'm scared of them nyah!" but saying "This is an issue I am working on, so if you notice I am outside, could you see if your cat is ready to come in?" That's not much to ask.

Can you look at pictures of cats with minimal discomfort? That's where I had to start with my mantis phobia. Pictures and video. It's a slow agonizing process and having to face a phobia without a barrier is very hard.