• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Extreme camera shyness

D

Dreamer818

Since I was a teenager I have always hated having my photo taken. When someone gets the camera out I move away from them. I feel uncomfortable looking at photos of myself because I worry that I look stupid and that everyone is laughing at me.

I'm worse when people record videos. I hate seeing myself and hearing my own voice, it makes me feel so embarrassed. I can't even talk to family members on facetime, even though they see me face to face in real life all the time, I just can't do it.

Can anyone suggest a way to overcome this?

Because I've avoided the camera for so many years there aren't any photos of me and it makes me sad. When I'm a little old lady I'd like to have some photos to look back at but I don't know how I can get over feeling so embarrassed.

T

Topcat

Former member
I dunno, but I'm the same exactly, ever since I was at least 5yrs old.
I think when I drop dead my kids will think I never existed.
My 8yr old wanted to take a photo with her DS because she had one of everyone and was using some paint/sticker tool to change the pictures so they were pretty much drawn all over. It was still an effort to say yes, and I asked her to make me really colourful (so my picture was unrecognisable).
Sometimes I let go a bit and make an effort, especially with digital cameras as long as the person taking it lets me see and ask for new ones until I don't mind it. But mostly I hate it!

Q

Queenie

I am the same. I cannot stand anyone taking a photo. They only time I do it is when I am forced: like a wedding.

I think most people, unless they are a bit full of themselves like their photos taken or their voice. I sound like a mouse and I am 35. People think I am a teenager!!

Anyway, don't beat yourself up because of it. You don't need to have your photo taken if you don't want to.

Overcoming it: decide to make yourself be in one photo with your immediate family or be in a video for a few seconds. If there is a planned event where you know you photo might be taken, you could get your hair done nice, cut nice and get some make up tips etc so you look really nice and do one. or like halloween? take a photo on halloween? I am not very good a suggesting things but sometimes you might have to do it to be polite.

You don't need to look at the photo or video either. Nor you have to do facetime.

Only do it if the it outweighs the outcomes of not doing it. Like a wedding or something. I personally only agree to be in photos of the consequences of not being in the photo is adverse and the consequence of being in the photo is positive. You could just say to people that you're quite shy and they will not pressure you into being in a video, flim or facetime if you don't want. Feel the fear and do it anyway. You do not need to turn all narcissistic selfie-taking person over night. But at the end of the day its not that important to have loads of pictures of yourself. Just decide to do it when the consequences of not doing it is adverse or when you have to..

Q

Queenie

You never guess what happened at college today, when I was told I was to get my ID taken and take off my hat I had an meltdown. I did it anyway but I was in tears and the ID photo looks so hideous.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Since I was a teenager I have always hated having my photo taken. When someone gets the camera out I move away from them. I feel uncomfortable looking at photos of myself because I worry that I look stupid and that everyone is laughing at me.

I'm worse when people record videos. I hate seeing myself and hearing my own voice, it makes me feel so embarrassed. I can't even talk to family members on facetime, even though they see me face to face in real life all the time, I just can't do it.

Can anyone suggest a way to overcome this?

Because I've avoided the camera for so many years there aren't any photos of me and it makes me sad. When I'm a little old lady I'd like to have some photos to look back at but I don't know how I can get over feeling so embarrassed.

I'm the same

But

I don't really care....I go to the loo or hide down the back

Odd

Fwiw everyone else looks dreadful in photos too! That's why God invented Photoshop!

Beergardenweather

Beergardenweather

Have you tried the snapchat app? There are filters on there that make anyone look amazing. Upsets me a bit that I don't actually look like that though.
Occasionally this guy at work will just rock up and start taking promotional photos totally unannounced and I feel like pitching a total bitch fit as I find that really uncomfortable

I had a total meltdown the last time we got Id photos taken too. Luckily it was years ago and I still haven't seen it. I think they might have used the previous one again because the new one was so hideous they wanted to save my feelings.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I'm 51 as far as I know of only 1 photo of me exists outside my own possession.

That's a life time of dodging away from the lens like an Amazonian tribesman.

Its doable and I don't think there's anything wrong with it :)

D

Dreamer818

Have you tried the snapchat app? There are filters on there that make anyone look amazing. Upsets me a bit that I don't actually look like that though.
Occasionally this guy at work will just rock up and start taking promotional photos totally unannounced and I feel like pitching a total bitch fit as I find that really uncomfortable

I had a total meltdown the last time we got Id photos taken too. Luckily it was years ago and I still haven't seen it. I think they might have used the previous one again because the new one was so hideous they wanted to save my feelings.

I've never used snapchat, I don't really take selfies. I just really wanted to overcome this photo fear so that I could have photos of me with my family and on special occasions, just so in years time I'd have a reminder of the past. I guess like a previous poster suggested I will just have to push myself and make the effort on special occasions just so I have the photos if I ever want them... I guess it's better to have photos and regret them, than not have them and want them. I only want photos for my own personal collection, I'm not really interested in sharing them online, but thanks for the suggestion :)

D

Dreamer818

I'm 51 as far as I know of only 1 photo of me exists outside my own possession.

That's a life time of dodging away from the lens like an Amazonian tribesman.

Its doable and I don't think there's anything wrong with it :)

There is nothing wrong with not having your photo taken, I just wish that I could get over it and be comfortable with having my photo taken so that I will have something to look back on and remind me of my past :)

valleygirl

valleygirl

Former member
I am the same. I just hate having my photo taken. I feel so ashamed of the way I look, because I gained an unbelievable amount of weight since I started Seroquel. But even before that I didn't like having my photo taken. My mom was nuts about taking pictures when I was a kid. I think I started not liking my picture taken when I was a teen. I was grouchy and depressed a lot, and had a very strained relationship with my mom, and the last thing I felt like doing was posing and smiling for her, pretending that I was happy. This was long before the digital age, and my mom would forget to take the cap off the lens, after she had got us all in the right position, smiling and everything, so we'd have to go through the whole rigamarole all over again.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

There is nothing wrong with not having your photo taken, I just wish that I could get over it and be comfortable with having my photo taken so that I will have something to look back on and remind me of my past :)

Long story but my ex stole all my photos

But not my memories x

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

It might not be just about your past. I've recently created photo albums of myself, my ex and our son. None of the photos were posed - just random snaps. My son said, after looking at them, 'You used to have red hair, didn't you mum?' Yes, I did, but without the photographic evidence no-one would believe me because my hair is now white. No - the old snaps of me don't show me to be a great beauty because I never have been but they showed me - warts and all - and my son loves those pics. No- there is nothing wrong with not wanting your photo to be taken but you have to consider others who may love that record of you.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

Ugh!
I'm the same.
Looking at pictures from days out,
And thinking,
"Who's that?",
Then realizing that it's me,
Shops are the worst,
Catching yourself unexpectedly in a full size mirror,
Why do they have them?
We use radios at work to communicate,
With each other, and the office,
Because of working in a freezer,
And it still makes me feel icky,
Hearing my own voice,
Even after using a radio for about 6 years.