• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Extra Funding for MH services in England

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
BBC News - Mental health care in England 'to get funding boost', Danny Alexander says

Mental health services in England will receive extra funding in next week's Budget, Liberal Democrat Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander has said.

The money will fund early intervention schemes to stop children developing serious and potentially fatal mental illnesses, he told the Times newspaper.

Early intervention, hmm. Let's start the drug em and label them early:meanie:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
maybe the right help might have been good when i was young but theres nothing promised for me at my age when it's too late, feel it's just politicians concerned about the writing off of the young workforce, pity they didn't think about that when i was young

And in practice what will it mean?

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I just saw Nick Clegg on the news "promoting" it.

Now, if they did this sooner, like at the start of the 5 years when they were the bees knees then they may of had just as good of a chance of having some sort of power after this years election but unfortunately they let David Cameron's lot bully them and make the Lib Dems look like a bunch of muppets in my opinion.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's the coalition that stopped paying housing benefit for young people in flats trapping them in the situation, the only way out under cleggs proposals is to get labelled

Young people are more alienated and disallusioned who's surprised mental health has got worse, the situation they're in who's to blame them

coldwater00

coldwater00

BBC News - Mental health care in England 'to get funding boost', Danny Alexander says

Mental health services in England will receive extra funding in next week's Budget, Liberal Democrat Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander has said.

The money will fund early intervention schemes to stop children developing serious and potentially fatal mental illnesses, he told the Times newspaper.

Early intervention, hmm. Let's start the drug em and label them early:meanie:
The sad truth of it is that Early Intervention teams do essentially just label and drug people earlier. I've read the nice guidelines and they're not very reassuring. Even if somebody is just "exhibiting one of the symptoms" of psychosis such as being withdrawn then GP's have to refer to Early Intervention Teams so that "effective treatment can be started as soon as possible". Drugging people for being strange or quiet is supposed to be a prophylactic measure for psychosis.

So, essentially if you are quiet and a depressive you can be under an EI in Psychosis Team and receiving antipsychotics for it.. or at the very least you are being "monitored".. which we all know increases rates of sectioning and hospital admissions/revolving door syndrome.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the torys are after the grey vote, labour we keep been told is the party of hard working families off course the libs are going to go for the young vote

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Young people are more alienated and disallusioned who's surprised mental health has got worse, the situation they're in who's to blame them
It's true. Younger people's mental health does seem to be getting worse than it has been in previous generations.
That being said, I hope this funding isn't going to be all about labelling and drugging.
I hope that the money will be used for counselling, emotional coping skills-type groups and therapies.