Exposure therapy for constant voices.

A

Akardy

So I'm hearing voices more or less constantly, or constantly when I'm at home anyway. Barely at all when I'm outside or in some other building, but a fair bit when I've actually spent the night at someone else's house.

I think for me the cause is basically stress/anxiety, and what I hear is neighbours (the same two voices, always) talking about me. So I've been trying to deal with it by something like expose therapy...I'm in a routine where during the day I don't really watch anything or put music on, just accept that it's there and try and get used to it. But as soon I've had my evening meal I put music on or watch stuff at a sufficient volume that I don't really hear it, and I go to sleep with gentle music on.

This is for the most part working pretty well, I'm sleeping well at night, my stress levels have come down a bit from their peak and I'm feeling a bit better generally.

The evenings feel pretty good, and the days are fine so long as I'm doing something.

The problem I'm having is resting during the day, which is something I generally need to do due to physical illness. A lot of the time when I'm just laying there with no music, nothing to distract me I become unable to think of anything other than the voices I'm hearing....my heart starts thumbing and I end up just giving up on rest. It just feels like a huge mental effort to keep my thoughts to anything other than what I'm hearing.

Has anyone ever tried something similar for constant voices? Or any other idea's for voices that are constant at home?

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Actually, for me, the first paragraph is similar to me. I only hear voices at home and varies from room to room.

I do find that when I am hearing voices my stress levels increase. It is hard to relax.

Sometimes I will sit in silence and just listen to the voices. Other times I will put music on or a video. Sometimes I am not in the mood for music.

As my voices are bad in a particular room, I am planning on moving my computer and desk to another room. I am hoping this will help. I will not know until I try it.

Kerome

Kerome

These kinds of techniques did not work for me when I was in psychosis, I found it very irritating to listen to the TV or music at the time. I couldn’t concentrate on them, and especially TV advertising I found really invasive. But my voices were pretty much continuous, inside and outside the house.

What I did find useful more recently was listening to raindrops, a thunder storm or the crackling of a fire. You’ll find these pretty easily on YouTube and I found them a good way to drop off to sleep when experiencing very slight symptoms.

A

Akardy

Let me know how it goes!

I find it more or less the same, the only real difference is it sometimes seems a bit more real to me in my bedroom....like that's the epicentre of my psychosis and the further away I get the less it is!

Interestingly I found out recently that my backyard also counts, I spent an afternoon out there and despite it being outside heard it all as clearly as inside.

A

Akardy

The best thing I've found for it is actually reading. Anything I can be fully absorbed in blocks the voices out completely. TV is hit and miss, depends on how bad a day I'm having and how interested in it I am. But music always works.

Kerome

Kerome

Since the medication works for me and when I’m taking them normally I hear nothing I can’t experiment, sorry about that :) I can just supply info from memory from when I was experiencing symptoms.

I had similar concentration issues when reading when in psychosis, I could manage just a page and a half at a time and then I’d have to wait for the irritation to die down.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Let me know how it goes!

I find it more or less the same, the only real difference is it sometimes seems a bit more real to me in my bedroom....like that's the epicentre of my psychosis and the further away I get the less it is!

Interestingly I found out recently that my backyard also counts, I spent an afternoon out there and despite it being outside heard it all as clearly as inside.
Yes it is strange. The voices are worst for me in my den, and then it gets better everywhere else. In my bedroom it is pretty quiet so hopefully the voices won't follow me there. IDK yet.

In the old days I would hear it outside, but not anymore! If I heard it outside I would be so upset.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Music helps for me. What works the best is getting up and doing something that occupies me physically and mentally. I can't concentrate to read at all when hearing any voices, whether they are the ones in my head, someone talking in the room, or someone else in the room watching TV.

F

FeelingBetter100

hi and please excuse punctuation, am typing on a tablet.

My voices at times are constant. But im getting better each day. Next time your voices are annoying you, try going online and helping someone. eg sign online petitions, send emails on behalf of Amnesty Int or Peta, research sweatshops and which companies use them, then avoid those companies, etc. See what helping others does to your voices.

Im slowly - and i mean slowly - getting rid of my voices as follows:

1) saying thank you a lot, about everything. thanks for my hair, my arms, my legs, my pets (all deceased but im thanking for the time i had with them), trees, birds, cars, tv, phones, chips, bread, sweets, etc etc.

2) helping others as described above. i also deliver animal welfare leaflets through peoples doors and will be starting a voluntary job next week. Spend as much time as you can helping others (but dont overwork yourself either).

3) use EFT combined with hooponopono. Look up an EFT video online and learn the tapping points. then tap though all the points repeatedly whilst saying "sorry, love you, thank you, forgive you" . example - tap five times top of head saying sorry, love you. then tap five times eyebrow saying thank you, forgive you. then tap five times side of eye saying sorry, love you. then tap five times under eye saying thank you, forgive you. keep going like this using all the points. you may need to do it for a long time eg 30-60 mins.

It would be advisable for you to, if possible, hire an EFT therapist. just google one in your area. Healing from psychosis is very difficult and you may be dealing with some extremely negative emotions surfacing for maybe months. your symptoms may get temporarily worse, then better, then worse, then better, and this can be very difficult to deal with.

if it is not possible to hire a therapist, then just spend the majority of each day doing steps 1-3 and you will heal eventually. its a long road, though. im on it and i do struggle,but im getting there slowly but surely.

good luck.