• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Explaining PTSD

FastLaneC3

FastLaneC3

I find one the hardest parts of having to deal witH PTSD is trying to explain it to people around you without having to actually say what happened. People just can't seem to grasp the idea that some events can be traumatizing enough to affect someones life.

When people hear the words "PTSD" they assume that you are just overreacting or extra sensitive. For me that has become an issue, as people around me who don't know my story just tend to write it off and get angry with me and my breakdowns... tres not cool!

dib4uk

dib4uk

Well as far as I'm aware post traumatic stress disorder is a very real and terrifying condition. Yes it is hard to explain, because some ppl's expectations differ, like they expect only people like gulf war vetrians to have flashbacks, but thats not all together correct.

Victims of abuse and rape often have these flashbacks- and this is a way of the brain in trying to either cope or surpress this experience.

I think that for sufferes of PTSD rely on other stuff especially drugs to help them cope with server flashbacks. PTSD also mean that someone can also be "stuck" at certain times of their lives, but with the correct treatment especially talking therapies then this might help.:flowers:

The mind is a weird and wonderful tool, a tool that science has not fully understood all of its uses yet.