• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

explaining Borderline to potential employers? anyone else?

S

strawberrygurl803

:confused:anyone on here had difficulties regarding declaring to potential employers how BPD affects them? would love to hear from you.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi strawberrygurl,

I have never had to mention that I have borderline to an employer because for me there is a lot of misconceptions that people have about borderline and I wouldn't want them jumping to conclusions that might not be true.

If it is not asked about in your application then I wouldn't mention it at all. However what I would do is say if they ask about your weaknesses and strengths is mention what might be perceived as a weakness then.

For example an aspect of my borderline is my perfectionism, so I say "I am a perfectionist and yes sometimes if things are not up to my standard then I can get disheartened by that, however the good side to this is that I always strive to do my absolute best at all times."

I don't know what jobs you are looking for but most jobs don't expect you to tell them everything about your mental health in the application stage.

dib4uk

dib4uk

To be honest that is a very good question- what to say to an employer. For me i suffer from mood swings, so I would tell them that I have depression.

Sometimes its more important NOT to tell them everything unless you want to, and because BPD is soo complex in diagnoses and for the individual then its really up to you what you say.

Also as Personality Disorders arent classified under the discriminiation at work then its up to you what you say to your employer.

My old employers just saw low self esteme and depression so i worked with that, and thats good enough for me lol.:eek:

S

strawberrygurl803

re: explaining to employers

thanks guys. i think i need to finish my CBT before i start work. feel very nervous about the future.

P

philmriv

I have learned the hard way, never tell an employer about psychological problems.

It's a catch 22-- if you don't explain, there are issues, but if you do explain, there are more issues.

Keep working on your recovery until no-one is seriously bothered by your issues.

It's not always fair-- but it's the only way out.

Last edited: