Experiencing fear through mindfulness

Kerome

Kerome

A lot of us experience fear and panic, and I’ve had moments with it. After a few episodes I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to traverse these states is with mindfulness and faith. Faith that we are held safe, that there is ultimately no damage that can be done to us, it is merely the cycle of life and death all around us, that our souls are kept safely. If you can strengthen that faith and not waver, then it is possible to be mindfully aware and just let it pass.

If you can be mindfully with fear, you’ll notice it’s just a series of reactions of the body. A coldness in the stomach, a shivering in the limbs, a quaking. Ultimately you are not unsafe, you are surrounded by ordinary things all around. But in such a state your only choice is to be mindfully with the physical sensations of fear, even though it makes no sense. All you can do is ignore the impulses arising in the mind, “what if this, what if that”, and try to let stillness be within, not go along with the gyre of thoughts.

T

Twokiwisandabanana

Feel the fear and do it anyway ive noticed you can't be in a panic state for very long it settles down after a bit
It sucks to be a scared person tho anxiety is no fun.
But overcoming it IS FUN to me.

Macka

Macka

A lot of us experience fear and panic, and I’ve had moments with it. After a few episodes I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to traverse these states is with mindfulness and faith.
Mindfulness saved my sanity, then gave me back my body and life. Once this occurred, the fear of episodes lessened to give me space to work out why it happened.

My first real success with mindfulness was while driving my car. Anxiety hit suddenly so driving was dangerous. I couldn't pull over so I focused on my hands on the steering wheel as well as the road ahead.

I breathed deeply and told myself this moment in time was all that existed; nothing in my environment could hurt me. The anxiety stopped as suddenly as it had begun.

We always remember our first time eh? (y)

Cazcat

Cazcat

I too find mindfulness incredibly useful when my PTSD raises it's head managed to fend of a pannic attack in the dentists chair last week (dental work makes me nervous at the best of times) I tried to tell the dentist about the PTSD and found I couldn't talk properly because of the numbness but mindfulness got me through it.