• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

experiences with zyprexa vs. seroquel?

M

Marcitko

Hi guys and gals,

I've been suffering from acute/periodic psychosis for the past 5 years. Have been on and off Zyprexa (olanzapine).

In the interim periods between episodes, I'm left with medium amounts of anxiety. Due to this, and having gained 20kgs of weight due to zyprexa, my doc is considering switching my current 2.5/5mg of zyprexa to a small dose of Seroquel (quetiapine) - 50-100mg. According to her, it should have an anty-anxiety and anty-depression effect, in addition to protecting me from future psychotic episodes.

Have any of you tried both drugs? Any experiences to share? Is it worth shifting? Is it true that Seroquel does not cause weight gain?

Any input appreciated.

G

Gredge23

I would stay clear of the seroquel it's highly addictive and if gained at least 50 pounds on it and I was only on 100 mg at night

P

PreyingMantid

I tried Olanzapine and had to get off it quick because it made me feel so bad. I've been on Quetiapine quite a while at 300 mg now and it doesn't make me gain weight. The effects, therapeutic or extrapyramidal, are individual, different for different people. I like Quetiapine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cazcat Psychiatric Drugs/Medications 6