• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Experiences receiving support

E

EmmaG92

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some information/experiences.
I am a final year Occupational Therapy student and am looking for some experiences of the support you may have received (or may not have!) during a time when you may have required it. Specifically, i'm looking at finding a gap in mental health community services.
For example, was there something that you felt wasn't addressed in the time spent with a mental health team? Or was there something that you didn't have much information about or were given from the health professionals that you feel would have been really beneficial for yourselves or others in the future?
Any experiences would be greatly received and I won't be using names or demographics! I just need the experiences/gap in services.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it :)
E.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi,
I can only speak from my own personal experience but for me the biggest problem I face is when in crisis. The only service I have found is the crisis team, who IMO are incompetent and shouldn't be in place. The struggles I face are that if you go to the gp, they refer you to the crisis team, if you take yourself to a and e - they refer you to the crisis team. The crisis team is made up of health care professionals that don't have the time / facilities/ resources to be able to actually do anything - except offer telephone support or put you in hospital. There's no inbetween.
Also when leaving hospital there's just the crisis team, I have heard of a home recovery team but have never actually had any input from them (and I've been hospilised 4/5 times)
Also there's a lack of talking therapies out there!
Am I just ranting or answering your questions?

Unique1

Unique1

Hi
Good luck with the course!

I will list some things that have made life more difficult with my MH problems over the last 18 months, some may not be relevant to what you want, but hope it helps, or at least gets you started..,,

GPs not always aware of best routes to take. It's got better ,but GP awareness of MH problems and best places for people to get help still needs improvement. I self referred for talking therapies, although I know for some it would not be possible, if they are too ill, or just not able to. Medication is extremely helpful but facing the problem with the correct help initially, can be life changing for someone. In my experience it's quite some time before you get to discuss your issues with a professional,

Long delays in being seen by talking therapies or such organisations for CBTor mindfulness.

Assistance with benefits/medicals/forms...this whole area is scarey to someone with mental health problems and can increase the anxiety levels tremendously, leading to bigger problems.
CAB is scarey too, mostly they are busy, there are limited appointments, and if you suffer with mental health illness, you may need someone to go with you, if you have no close friends/family this can be difficult..so getting help and assistance ,is a nightmare situation for most....

No Safe places to go and talk to someone in confidence. Understanding what is happening to you is crucial.

I have been lucky I had a couple of great therapists over time, but therapy can only last for a short period of time, something needed in between,

I guess most of the problem is down to cutbacks,
I have often wished I had someone just to assist at those times you don't know which way to turn. Like medical appointments or benefit problems, citizen advice just seem too busy in my experience, and not always understanding of MH issues. There are a couple of places offer help but depends on area, and they are always very busy indeed...

My only experience of the mental health team in my area, was to have been given their number in case of an emergency. I called twice. Again ,they seem very very busy..

Not sure that will help you. Hope so....

E

EmmaG92

Fantastic, thank-you very much for that.
You have answered my Q :)
So would you say that for the talking therapies, there could be a pathway or something out there that would either speed up the process or kind of have another layer of talking therapies to take the pressure off the ones that are already available? Or just generally, in the ideal world, what would be the perfect scenario for you?

Thanks so much again!!

E

EmmaG92

Great! thank-you Unique1, really appreciate the detailed answer!!
I specifically find the whole assistance with benefits forms and the cut backs interesting as although there are many cut backs happening, it shouldn't negatively impact those that require support.
Similarly, in an ideal world, what would you say would be the perfect scenario for you?

Thanks!!

Unique1

Unique1

@EmmaG92
In an ideal world, anyone showing symptoms of mental illness, should be given options to learn a little more about it..yes maybe a start point is talking therapies to have a starting point..to assess, GPs are not usually qualified to do this. I'm sure lots of people suffering mental illness are attending things that are not suitable for them, it's a complex illness, and being directed to the right services is important at the beginning. The money just isn't there, but lots of money waste in forwarding people wrongly, it seems initially for the GP it's a waiting game to see what works with the meds...not everyone may require meds, counselling, or therapy could be the answer....but money is the problem as there are no resources..my fear was that I was going crazy, I new nothing about mental illness. It can take such a long time to get the correct treatment and help...

Last edited:
maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have never reached out for support until I was getting violent urges and acting on them. I spoke with a psychologist from IAPT? And have been waiting almost 2 months for CBT, this wait for me has already been too long and things have happened that I believe could of been avoided.

I dont know if its just me but I only reach out if I'm desperate, I understand the cut backs etc but surely if someone mentions acting on violent urges it should be a red flag. I have not heard back off IAPT yet but took myself back to my gp who sadly couldn't help other than give me propanolol and apologise for how slow the NHS is

Jimny

Jimny

I too can only speak from my experiences.

I hardly ever visit the GP, when I did regarding my MH my doctor ideally would have noted that I might not have been aware as I am now that I was in crisis. The information I gave to him should have certainly indicated that.

I was referred to 'Fresh start' by phone. They got back to me six weeks later and to be honest it was atrocious. After speaking to them on our first telephone 'session' ( I was unaware it was a session ) I now had a plan for committing suicide which I did not have before having talked about how I might commit suicide.
I couldn't understand the person and we were often having three way conversations when they would speak to someone else in the office, it would also sound like we were on speaker phone.
I gave up, I became more desperate and Ill.

Almost a year later I was sectioned after suicide attempt. I was medicated but the medication stopped one day and I was released the next. I reverted back to my state before being sectioned but now I was even more confused.
After a couple of days the crisis team made an appearance. Overall they were ok on and off.
Two months later I am out of crisis and discharged from their service and still in desperate need to speak to someone proffessional having still not had the chance.
I am told by the crisis team that I am lucky in my area as it will 'only' be a few months before I will be assessed for therapy.

Apologies if this sounded like a rant.

Some suggestions might be for a more structured GP path to check if somebody is in crisis.
Perhaps an online therapy, reference or guidance to this site or others.
An interim therapy service, even something minimal or subsidised.
More therapists?
Hope this helps.

Last edited: