• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Experiences post panic attack

L

laural98

Hi all, I had a bad attack last night and I struggled to sleep for a while after. I’ve woken up this morning and feel like I’ve been hit by a bus. My chest/head/everything hurts and I feel absolutely exhausted. Does anyone else have this issue the day/week after a bad attack? X

B

Berntist

i feel the same as soon as i wake up i get the heavy feeling it's awful i have the prickling sensations in my scalp today and am really anxious hope your feeling better

L

laural98

Sorry to hear you’re feeling anxious today, hopefully it will settle down for you as the day goes on. I must admit I’m feeling the same. Any little thing is making me overthink today.

B

Berntist

it's an awful thing to go through i have had it for 6 months all day everyday i overthink all the time i'm hoping this forum can help hope your okay

L

laural98

Hope you’re ok too. I can feel another attack brewing as speak. The burning in my chest is horrendous.

B

Berntist

i'd like to say i am okay but i'm not i too have the burning feeling but today it's the prickly scalp too, what an awful problem to have i hate it i really know how you are feeling

L

laural98

It is horrible. The feeling has passed slightly now. I find distracting myself or using a quick breathing technique helps to pass the worst feeling now i have started medication. My heart doesn’t race as much as it used to.

B

Berntist

that's good distraction is the best thing to do or going for a walk i am on propranolol which helps

L

laural98

I have been going for walks quite regularly but I’ve picked up a cold and feeling quite rotten with that too at the moment! I am on citalopram at the moment. Did you have any side effects when first taking that?

B

Berntist

i was given propranolol once a day but it has increased to twice a day it helps calm me but on bad day's it only helps a bit but i haven't got any side effects that's the only medication i am on my doctor wanted me to go on other medication but she said i would feel worse before i felt better so i refused them but looking back maybe i should have had them because they do help i have been told hope your cold gets better soon

L

laural98

I think that’s the issue with most medication you do feel worse before you get better. I hope the side effects subside soon as it’s heightening my anxiety. Maybe that’s an option to look into when you’re feeling better ?

B

Berntist

yes maybe i just wish i could feel better but nothing can make me feel better the anxiety is caused by something that happened 4 years ago but has only resurfaced lately and i can't see a way to put it right so think i am stuck feeling like this

L

laural98

It will get better for you. Have you tried counselling? Many people find it beneficial I am looking into it myself.

B

Berntist

There is about a year long wait for counselling from the NHS i do hope i am better by then

L

laural98

Ridiculous how long things like this take isn’t it. We need help in the here and now, not a year down the line.