Experiences of Employment

D

DomPage

Founding Member
I think the point about a degree is a bit of a red herring and really we are all saying the same thing!!

The point was we had a problem with the claim made earlier that a degree was 'useless' if you had a MI.... We were just challenging that idea!

Dom

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You say my comments about my experience of work are "Unhelpful" well if the purpose of this forum is to follow new labours back to work agenda, i want nothing to do with it, once burnt twice shy.

This work business, deoends on definition of work, someone can say they're working when they're assembleing dolls at the psychiatric rehabilitation association, as i've experienced

My degree hasn't been a total waste of time, i've got computer skills enough to use the net and yes a psychology knowledge comes in useful when i'm in social housing with what would be called problem neighbours

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Well without saying too much (chickens prior to hatching etc), it looks as if my degree has just helped me get onto a graduate civil service scheme as a researcher. Now just have to do some tests (and pass!!!) and that's me in my perfect job...

(edited to add, my disability actually secured me an interview under the 'Guaranteed Interview Scheme', i.e. come up to the bar and we promise to consider you)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Sometimes think about work, but with the benefit system muddying the water is dangerous, to be negative, i feel that having tryed in the past has been held against me

I think it was COmunity Care Mag that said what happens to the new deal if theres a change of goverment or a reccession

Your job in the civil service comes with family tax credit, i was told i'd only get disability tax credit at the low rate

Part time on the minimum wage wouldn't pay much, sometimes i wish i knew how much after the clarks had finished their calculations, so i could make a decision

The free time i have to cook cheap meals matters, unless i get enough extra to meet those savings it'd be difficult

D

DomPage

Founding Member
Im sorry but how does any of this discussion constitute support of Labours Back to Work agenda? It does not. We were discussing the problems and positive experiences we have faced when making the decision to return to work - that is not the same as discussing the political agenda of attempting to force individuals back to work.

We were simply saying that as individuals with mental illness we have found that the process of eduction both personally and economically beneficial rather than a waste of time!

Hence I have approached education and further education as a beneficial and positive life experience that has, at least for me, been a key part of reaching some stability...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I was told my views on work were "Unhelpful" my view was that they were viewed as unhelpful because of my lack of support for new labours agenda, maybe i'm wrong

D

Dollit

The point you expressed Rambo was that a combination of a degree and mental illness was a double negative and Louise found that unhelpful. No mention of new Labour or their policies.

Back to topic - I haven't worked for a living for nearly 7 years but I have worked in a voluntary capacity for both the Police and the Fire Service. I have a lot of support from the Police - if the key people I work with aren't available and I'm fragile they find someone to talk to me. When I am well they encourage my ideas and input and it makes a difference to policing. When it comes to visual auditing I'm considered the civilian expert in the area. No new police officer (whatever the rank) joins the area without coming to see me. I've just liaised with some people and got the Fire Service on board a really big youth project that they would have been left out of otherwise. They all consider a little support when I need it small pay off for what they get out of me - I don't feel that my mental health is a problem for them, it's an obstacle we all get over together.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I do feel certain people are pushing a work agenda, maybe it's me imagining it, some would say i'm pushing an anti work agenda

Can the mentally ill work? the way i was taught to answer questions like that was to discuss the meaning of the word mentally ill and discuss the meaning of work

Not all mental illnessses are the same, theres slight theres severe, theres episodes, not all jobs are the same

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
You say my comments about my experience of work are "Unhelpful" well if the purpose of this forum is to follow new labours back to work agenda, i want nothing to do with it, once burnt twice shy.

This work business, deoends on definition of work, someone can say they're working when they're assembleing dolls at the psychiatric rehabilitation association, as i've experienced

My degree hasn't been a total waste of time, i've got computer skills enough to use the net and yes a psychology knowledge comes in useful when i'm in social housing with what would be called problem neighbours
No, the extent of negitivity within your posts often comes acrosss as very strong.

I felt the need to point out that there are people with a different oppinion to you- which may be right, may be wrong, but we are all people and this is a discussion.

I am sorry if you dislike the fact that I am trying to be positive about my own situation, but actuall, if you do dislike that tough.

Ive got mental health problems- so what- Ive got them, and may as well do the best to enjoy and lead as good a life as I can despite them.

So sorry for any offence to you- if you dont like responses on a forum full of people who like you have oppinions- maybe then consider the consiquences of taking part yes.

But hurting you was never my intent.

And to Dom Page, thanks for clarifying what we had been discussing on the forum, that has at least settled my mind- thanks.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
Not all mental illnessses are the same, theres slight theres severe, theres episodes, not all jobs are the same[/QUOTE]

Now- theres a point which I actually agree with you on whole heartedly.

Perhaps there are some jobs which would suit some people with mental illnesses, and its partly just a case of knowing about those jobs, and which jobs they could be. And yes, maybe some people are just not well enough to work, but I think that each case is different, and unless you happen to be making big policies about the issues of MH and work.

Maybe its best to judge each person, and their own work and MH situation on an individual basis where possible?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Maybe i should explain where i'm coming from, though i can't include everything.

In 1977 a psychiatrist said "there was confusion of diagnosis at mapperley but i have no doubt he is schitsoprenic and have advised the mother accordingly"

I went on to do 3 A levels in birmingham making the total 7 then i came to london to do a degreem there was a flurry of rediagnosing.

Then i couldn't get a job, there was large scale unemployment, i lacked a work history, there was no disability acts, also due to the drugs my handwriting was poor on application forms, i applyed for an awful lot remember been turned down by tescos and voluntary work in the oxfam shop. there were many others.

I went on the employment training i soon realised it was a waste of time, i was doing computing, as a black guy had gone to the papers and said he hadn't touched a computer for 6 months after 6 weeks we had an hour, the guy who taught it was drunk, he said he learnt from the trainees, if he had known computers, he wouldn't have been there.

I stopped going and concentrated on looking for wsork, they didn't notice, in the end through another graduate i got a job in haringey social services area 1 as a clark, the office was to later be in the Victoria Climbie case

I was called in for a 2nd medical, so i told my co wsorker in confidence i was schitsoprenic, next day she had gone off sick and was applieing for redeployment on stress grounds and it was all round the office

When she did come in she was on valium and she got redeployment on stress grounds

I was left doing 2 peoples jobs wsithout even the training

Also haringey had been rate capped and half the office were going to interviews about their jobs

After 2yrs they bought in a women to help me with the work, then the boss suggested i apply for redeploymernt on stress grounds,

shortly after seeing the dr the boss called me in and said the dr had said i was unfit for work and i should go home and send in sick notes

I went to the union and it turned out the dcr had said i was unfit for my present job but fit for another job ib the council, trouble was they were all nimbys.

At one point i turned up with a note from the gp saying i was fit for work, there was a day of meetings, personnel said "If he's fit he can go back to his job" the union said "Your own dr has said he's unfit forf that job".

I did try returning but felt unwelcome, so i went on the sick the first time i had ever been on the sick.

Whilst this was going on i was living in a salvation army area experiencing harrassment from problem kids

The gp said "You had a breakdown when you lost that job"

Friends tell me a lot of what happened to me is now illegal, it wasn't then

I guess i've gone from been positive totally the other way, work welll i remember refusing when the benefit clark used to tell me to get a 6 month backdated sick note, as soon as i come to terms with the benefit system they change the rules, i've been pretty worked over, i've now got an anxiety state on top of schitsoprenia, never used to have that

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
oppinions

I can understand why sometimes you/ or I can come across as negative because lets face it, life isnt always easy.

I hope that you manage to keep your motivation levels to try and enjoy your own life as good as possible, and live your life to whatever way you wish.

I just have a whole different way of looking at life to you and feel it is benificial to let other forum member see both sides of the story, so perhaps our oppinions should be seen as a good balanced view when seen next to each other.

I wish you well.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Rethink says it doesn't do the young patients much good to mix with the old codgers, rethink as a carers organisation, it's carer activists tend to be parents of the young patients

One psychiatrist said "General low mood that though it certainly causes him distress, does not amount to a clinical illness" the blind guy who works at the disability centre said "Sub clinical illness"

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Your job in the civil service comes with family tax credit, i was told i'd only get disability tax credit at the low rate
Actually if I was to get the civil service job I wouldn't get tax credit any more as I'd be earning too much. I'd end up working about 10 hours longer for the same money, but...to be honest working full time in a job I like and eventually exiting the welfare system would feel like a real achievement. Don't get me wrong Tax credit helps us no end but I'd rather we paid our own way...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Good luck, i'd be interested what the civil service graduate test is like, theres always the chance i might try.

Been a bit down, getting bangiung on window today 3 in the morning, phoned support worker he told me to phone the police, he also says that if i want to see him i've got to go to the courtyard and he won't come to see me.

I have doubts about the police, making an issue could make things worse, as it is i mived from my last area due to harrassment, could be me, i think the yobs pick up on me been isolated, without a carer, move too another social housing place i don't see as an answer, at least here theres a nice garden.

Contacted rethink and asked if they could help me change support worker, it'll just be someone else in the office, same culture

Feel a bit helpless, well at least i got the chance of an anti new labour vote, maybe the torys had a point with their freedom and user rights talk

Will watch my batttlestar galactica cd those were a good suggestion

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Rambog.. sorry to hear you are feeling isolated its not pleasant being disturbed like that. Have you got blinds/nets up at your windows to give you privacy?If the problems continue its worth speaking to a Housing Officer/tenancy officer to discuss them. They may be awre if others are affected and be able to take some action without you necessarily being singled out.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
banging on window

Thats not nice, if it happens frequently, it could be classed as harassment- however I can understand your reluctance to go to the police.

Often it is also necersscary to have evidence before the police will do anything big, and that may mean photos or video evidence- none of which is usually cheap, but you could look around the area to see if there is any survailance CCTV cameras... they may be of use perhaps.

If they are often banging, maybe ear plugs could help on some occassions, I know its not a long term solution, but on a bad night- maybe worth considering.

KP1 had some good ideas too.

Try not to let them get you down or at leasty try not to let the culprits see it gets you down.
Not easy, I know.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Saw a cctv surveillance system at the car boot sale, could find the price and pay my handyman neighbour to install it, he's got a flat at the back but installed a light as he said there was a prowler.

He said he was thinking of following in my footsteps, ie claiming benefits, i don't know what to say, another black paranoid schitso, i remember the book poppy shakespear where she ends up in hospital in a coma and the women says you'll definately get the dla now

Despite new labours claims of jobs he can't seem to get one he can hold down, he worked for sainsburys but said it was doing his head in

To go back to my old issue, the drugs make me tired i'm only capable of part time which on the min wage wouldn't pay well, i'm told by my support worker i'll only get disability tax credit at the low rate, i'm struggleing as it is