• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Experience with Lamotrigine

C

consumerbeware222

I was misdiagnosed with bipolar II about 7 years ago and was prescribed 25mg of lamotrigine to be taken twice a day. I took the medication for about 3 months and after stopping, I now have random muscle spasms/twitches throughout the day all over my body. I was a college student during this period and after taking lamotrigine it became very difficult for me to study even after stopping. Worst mistake of my life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
50mg is an unusual dose for bipolar disorder, were you on other medication during those 3 months?

I take Lamotrigine and do have restless legs but i think it is because i don't exercise enough. I have been taking it for years and don't think i have any side effects, maybe a bit of dry skin and dry mouth in the evening.

For the 7 years, what were you taking?

Maybe you should talk to your doctor and see if they can help. Lamotrigine does affect folic acid but i would have thought it would return to normal after stopping. Maybe your doctor will suggest you take a supplement although i think that is if you are pregnant.

I'm sorry you have this problem, but try other ways to get rid of it.

An incorrect diagnosis must be very upsetting but at least you know now.

M

Mia78

I have taken it for years at 300mg it works well for me. I don't have bad side effects but do have headaches some.

B

Beachgirl71

I've taken Lamictal for years. In the beginning I had problems with restless leg, but now it works really well. I'm on 200mg a day. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. It's crazy how meds affect people differently.