Experience of people with mental health conditions in police custody or witness to an event

M

mal blue moon

Experience of people with mental health conditions in police custody or witness to an event

I know of people who declare MH conditions after being arrested, or the police have them on computer as having MH conditions , Being held in police cells a lot longer than ,the average jo who gets nicked ,for example the police need an appropriate person to be present or any statement can be challenged ,usually a lawyer is not enough ,and the police call for someone like a approved SW ,or Cpn ,this takes many hours ,and people with MH conditions ,are put in the cells and have to remove there clothes including socks and get given a thin paper suit ,police cells are routinely cold ,in my opinion this is institutional discrimination ..

shaky

shaky

Yes, I have had to wait for an appropriate adult to turn up - and then the lawyer has to turn up too.
He was a volunteer, though, not a nurse or anything.

On another occasion I was seen by the doctor who assessed that I was capable of being questioned and after that no appropriate adult was needed.
I suppose different forces have different procedures.