• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

experience of medication? (Quetiapine)

L

Louise1520

have you ever been on Quetiapine?

I am currently on Sertraline and I've been on Quetiapine for 1 week. I find it rather confusing as I don't know where I'm at from one day to the next. To be honest I actually feel like I am slowly drowning :/

I've had a whole range of different medication which haven't helped me. I feel like all the change in meds is cracking me up.

If you have been on these meds - how have you felt? what is your experience?

thanks for reading x

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum.

I have no experience of Quetiapine myself but hopefully others can help.

There are a lot of members from the UK here and it's midnight so it might take a little while to get an answer. I'm just saying that so you don't get downhearted.

Marliee x

L

Louise1520

Hello, thanks for the welcome.

& thats totally understandable, Thank you.

I'm actually in the UK myself just don't seem to be getting anywhere with my Insomnia "/

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
I take 600 mg extended release.

It didn't take long to help with depression & anxiety and to gain weight but it has only been over the long haul that it has eased & improved my symptoms.
I was very sluggish for a long time.

L

Louise1520

So I am guessing weight gain is the biggest effect of this medication "/

I'm done in - this whole year and a half has been taken over by medication changes and side effects..

I've been on them for a week and I hate them already. :(

B

blueorange

Hi,

Quetipine was really good for me. I took 400 mg daily and it helped a lot. In the first week I was just busy with the side effects. I was on bed most of the time and whenever I stood up I was passing out. Low blood pressure, high heart rate, poor memory etc. Then I was way too better in the second week and so on. I have good feelings towards that drug. It rescued me. I had been on it in my acute treatment not in maintenance.

L

Louise1520

so you've had a positive experience - which is good! :) thank you for your reply.

I just feel really strange in myself. I still have difficulty sleeping too but it's still early days I guess.

B

blueorange

so you've had a positive experience - which is good! :) thank you for your reply.

I just feel really strange in myself. I still have difficulty sleeping too but it's still early days I guess.
In the first days I also had difficulty in sleeping. I wasn't awake either. I was waking up a lot at night. Then my body tolerated the drug I guess and I started to have a good sleep. I hope it will work for you also :)

F

Fantail

I would never take an anti-psychotic again. Being sedated and dulled was no life for me. If i have Bipolar Disorder then i should be on a mood stabiliser like an anti-convulsant or Lithium. Lithium should be first choice for all in my opinion. Gaining lots of weight, sleeping through life. That was not life for me. I was a zombie.

B

blueorange

I would never take an anti-psychotic again. Being sedated and dulled was no life for me. If i have Bipolar Disorder then i should be on a mood stabiliser like an anti-convulsant or Lithium. Lithium should be first choice for all in my opinion. Gaining lots of weight, sleeping through life. That was not life for me. I was a zombie.
Me on the other hand, hate lithium. It made me the most stupid and dull person in the world.
I had a severe allergic reaction to lamictal that I was hospitalized with high fever, very low blood cell count etc.
Tegretol doesn't work for me, I'm having episodes while on it.
Depakote is not a choice because of its effect on polycystic ovaries.
Up to now only quetiapine and aripiprazole worked for me.

T

Tomtom

Hey welcome to forum,
It's been a while since I posted. Lithium is not for me either, found it more blunting and dulling of my personality.
I have been taking quetiapine regularly for 8 months. To start with I felt exhausted, unable get up out of bed, feeling of passing out. But in time along with structure around my bed time it has helped with my sleep. I do get very vivid dreams though, so clear I really have to remind myself they were just dreams.

As for the weight loss comments, mmmm if anything I've lost weight?

Hope this helps, like any meds a week is not long.

Take care
😊

C

Cupofdreams

I had a good and bad experience of Quetiapine, it was the first medication I was put on during my breakdown, it really calmed me down, managed to get some decent sleep and flatlined my mood (which was what i needed!) but unfortunately for me, I didn't adjust too well to it, I ended up sleeping all the time, and i don't know about other people...but I began to feel completely emotionless, uninspired and unmotivated. In my opinion it was great for a temporary fix but not a long term medication. Hope it works for you :)

L

Louise1520

I'm finding it really strange on them at the moment. My heads all over. This morning I sat and cried because I didn't have the energy to get dressed :( ....I also think I'm getting very paranoid! People staring at me and talking about me. Ahhh I'm done in.