• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (full movie)

Kerome

Kerome

I find this a difficult issue... Intelligent Design in my eyes is an idea that has had its day. The theory of evolution and computational proofs of how the mechanisms work is very compelling overall proof that it is the explanation for how life evolves. So that some people clamp on to outmoded, old thinking and try to propagate it, prolonging a discussion that should have finished a decade ago, is not a good thing. So while I am in most cases a proponent of free speech and free argument, in this instance I'm not sad that people who hold these old fashioned ideas are not being given a podium for their thinking.

To my mind, Intelligent Design is like the inquisition, a piece of thinking that should be consigned to the pages of history.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I find this a difficult issue... Intelligent Design in my eyes is an idea that has had its day. The theory of evolution and computational proofs of how the mechanisms work is very compelling overall proof that it is the explanation for how life evolves. So that some people clamp on to outmoded, old thinking and try to propagate it, prolonging a discussion that should have finished a decade ago, is not a good thing. So while I am in most cases a proponent of free speech and free argument, in this instance I'm not sad that people who hold these old fashioned ideas are not being given a podium for their thinking.

To my mind, Intelligent Design is like the inquisition, a piece of thinking that should be consigned to the pages of history.
Leaving aside any religious connotations/alliances - my view is that both evolutionary & creation principles/forces are in play.

i no more agree with the materialist World view, as i do with a religious one - i think they can be as fundamentalist as each other.

Frost

Frost

I love how people think that 'freedom of speech' means 'everyone's opinions are of equal worth, regardless of how wildly inaccurate they may be'.

On one hand we have the theory of evolution, which is about as well-demonstrated as scientific theories come. The level of evidence is up there with the likes of heliocentrism.

On the other hand we have 'intelligent design', which is a bronze-age myth with no empirical evidence in its favour. The level of evidence is up there with the likes of geocentrism.

It isn't 'suppressing freedom of speech' to leave int. design out of the classroom, any more than it's suppressing freedom of speech to not bother teaching the incorrect model which places Earth at the centre of the solar system. It's simply teaching fact as fact in biology class, and leaving the fiction for the religious studies classes.

The fact that it's possible to hold a viewpoint does not mean that said viewpoint deserves to be taken seriously. You can talk about it ad nauseum if you wish, as is your right under 'freedom of speech', but you do NOT have the right to demand that it's taught in schools without a shred of supporting evidence. Moreover the fact that lots of people think something does NOT in itself make that thing correct, fact is fact regardless of how many people believe it.

The other area this is happening is in the anti-vaxx arena, and unlike intelligent design which is in itself relatively harmless, there it has and will continue to lead to deaths. This notion that 'freedom of speech' means that you have the right to impose your moronic beliefs on others, whether it be teaching myth in the science classroom or exposing children to measles, is silly and dangerous.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Someone's reply on another forum that expressed my feelings on it all exactly -

Part of the problem with the term, "intelligent design" is it was introduced by and thru the religious sectors there by getting a bad rap by everyone else. It was viewed as trying to sneak religion in to science thru the back door. So now the term is never taken seriously by secular people who's views and opinions of organized religion is not very high. I also distrust organized religion too! But in theory there is nothing wrong with the actual term, "intelligent design" which can also be applied to DNA as well. The term is not dependent on a god or gods at all, or at least not some thing religion describes as a god.

My problem is as an agnostic I also have distrust with some of the atheists who seem to have an equal campaign and organized "religion" as true religions do. I certainly do not mean all atheists are on board to this or have a agenda. Most do not and are not actively trying to push their ideas or opinions. But there is a inner circle of atheists who are imho just as discredited as any organized religion and I have a hard time distinguishing any difference between them.