• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Existential OCD

T

Turquoise95

Okay so I've posted a couple other threads on my ordeal the past few weeks. I had an awful withdrawal experience with expired Lexapro and it spiraled and turned into derealization, severe anxiety, ruminations, and depression. I have gotten back on my medication with Lexapro that is not expired or spoiled. My severe anxiety and depression have gotten better, and my ruminations over past decisions and memories have almost totally stopped.

But I've noticed a couple new symptoms popping up after I began my medication, in particular I'm displaying symptoms that seem to correlate with OCD, both existential and harm OCD. However, they vary day to day. Today I felt almost no harm OCD thoughts, whereas a couple days ago I did. Today I experienced moderate existential thoughts about reality, existence, time, and consciousness. It was similar to my first episode of derealization, but without the distorted visual sensations. Everything around me feels real right now, but I can't stop pondering if my past memories are genuine and whether this reality is actually real. These feelings come and go in waves. I'm hesitant to bring it up to my doctor as even my ruminations switch focus day to day, and I don't experience harm OCD every day (it only seems to happen when I feel very anxious).

I've had harm OCD thoughts sporadically in the past and they usually pass without incident, but these existential thoughts are new and seem to stick around longer, and they don't pop up because I feel anxious, the thoughts usually pop into my head first. Is this my brain adjusting to the Lexapro medication? I have been on it about two weeks now and it takes at least four weeks to feel full benefits. Will this OCD go away, or is it popping up because of my medication? Any help or advice is appreciated.

N

njmisdesperate

idk, from my own experience OCD never goes away. I'll just have to carry on with my life as suicide doesn't seem like an option :(
The best thing u can do is take medication regularly & distract yourself with hobbies/activities. Hope this helps.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S How to help my partner with (existential) OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M The vast majority of brain scans of people with OCD appear normal? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M I think I might have OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Brutal self talk with pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T I've almost overcome ocd, but there is one thing I'm afraid to touch/wear. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B OCD and fear of how people gossip Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M New member here with OCD. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
BeanPeach Teenagers with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Focus OCD - Advise Please Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
F Real event ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
L What good medications are there out there for ocd! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
L OCD ifo Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
D I’m struggling please!! I’m so done with ocd! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
E I have my birthday today,,, but ocd is bugging me!!!!!!!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Ocd religious help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Advice for living with OCD family member Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
jems89 Does this sound like OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A OCD, Constantly washing hands Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Covid and Ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
A My partner has OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C Teenage OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
U OCD to anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
B Recently diagnosed need help and advice on cheating OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E Does ocd of others seem ridiculous to us? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
T Sick of being mocked for having OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J I think I've had SO-OCD for years now. It's debilitating Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
E Extreme OCD after Covid-19 smell loss; Pyschiatrist recommends Prozac Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O How can I get better with my jumping OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
W Harm OCD - False Memories *PLEASE RESPOND* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Did I run over someone or do I have hit and run ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
W The Root of My Harm OCD — A Confession Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Girlfriend with Pure OCD - Please help!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N Ocd taking over my life in every way Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
K OCD Experiences regarding Contamination/Sanitation Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
L Pure OCD and problems with guilt. Sexuality problem Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C Disgust-based OCD driving me crazy Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Should I get an OCD diagnosis before going to therapy? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
E Is this part of HOCD/SO-OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
MrBond007 Is it possible for those with OCD to get over their compulsions and fears? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Cheating ocd please help and respond Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
EddieH OCD Peripheral Staring/Private Staring Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
S Chain mail triggers my OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K is OCD about control Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B I think I may have OCD but I'm not sure if this behavior is typical. Avoidance of sun on face for fear of aging? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Very spesfic ocd everyone looks at me like im mad. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
jonjonzz47 Safety of others OCD thought - Please Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
M Anyone have tips on how to recover OCD/Anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
N My Pure O and sensorimotor OCD experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Almost beated OCD but there is still one thing left Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
E What are you're sleeping habits like? Are they conditioned by OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4