Exercise urges

V

Val9926

Hello all, I'm new here

So this morning it was decided that I will almost completely cut out exercise in order to recover more efficiently. Before, I was "recovering" but I was compulsively exercising and wasn't really getting anywhere with my recovery and I needed to learn to stop exercising as a compensation but for enjoyment.

Anyways, it's been tough. I see my sister going to the gym every single day and it makes me feel like I should be doing something as well, even though I am recovering so I shouldn't be. It brings down my mood and really makes me want to exercise.

Does anyone have any tips + helpful information to help cope with exercise urges and how to stop looking at my sister and comparing how much she exercises and eats to myself.

Thank you

W

Wildfire

I totally get it. Every time I get injured I just want to get back into it. I don't go every day, but if I can't go, that's when I get frustrated. I tore my tricep this week, just as I was getting back into training after a back injury that has lasted a year or so and now I REALLY want to get back to training.

The best way I found was to keep my mind occupied, but by something really different. I used to work in computer games and consequently never really played them. I do find a good RPG (single player) where I can get in to the story a nice distraction. That and reading.

I'm not sure what your recovering from, but if it's physical, you have to think long term. If it's mental then you are on a good step to realising that you are substituting exercise for something else. Maybe cutting down to 3 times a week?

As you mention your sister, if you're close, maybe you should chat to her and see if you can do something with her, that way you won't be thinking that she's gymming without you all the time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Eating Disorders Forum 20
H Eating Disorders Forum 3
P Eating Disorders Forum 3
C Eating Disorders Forum 3