• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Exercise in recovery

• Thread starter Recoveringalienbaby
  • Start date
R

Recoveringalienbaby

Hey! This is my first post :) I am in anorexia recovery and wanted some advice about exercise. During the worst of my ED I obsessed over exercise so I’m not sure how helpful exercise will be in recovery, but I am a dancer. I have multiple dance classes a week and I am afraid that if I stop, I will lose all my progress and not be able to dance after. I just wondered if anyone had any advice on what I should do? Can I carry on dancing or should I eliminate exercise completely?

sam999

sam999

you should limit urself on exercise. and dont go over your limit. for example 30 minutes exercise a day is what i went for. i tried not to go over that limit or even exercise less than it.

N

natalie

I would would build up your dancing very gradual, now it's always always important, and you mus tknow this, to warm up, stretch thoroughly, and or evenmore extensive, when colder, or wetter, then, get the main component, done, which is dance, and always always cooldown, and stretching, please, we can't afford, in the fitness dance world, complimentary lauging, for people to suffer withinjuries.

i happen to be a zumba gold, enthusiast myself, and I also workout to low impact salsacise aerobics, traditonal and also contemporary modern dancier aerobics, myself.

Do let us know, how you'll manage to get on, and just atip I've had a thought of, there ought to be dancing dvds, around, to help you on your way. I wish you best of luck.

Welcome aboard, and nice to meet you.

M

Mary26

Unfortunately, exercise is an (eating disorder) behavior. Also the body needs rest to heal from all the damage (from restriction). You could try harm reduction but if you want to recover I would not exercise at all for a while. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear...