• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

exercise for depresion can it help

E

eaglefly

The Mental Health Foundation calls for patients with depression to be offered exercise on prescription.

Substantial evidence shows that exercise therapy can be an effective treatment for depression. We want to:

increase the use of exercise referral schemes in treating mild to moderate depression

raise awareness that physical exercise is one of the most effective ways to look after and improve your mental health

raise awareness about the importance of finding and using effective ways of treating depression

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
I just joined my local council gym. Its £25 per month and I can go as much as I want to the gym or the pool and at any of seven centres. Only being going a few weeks so far but it has made my mood more stable. Maybe there is a placebo effect but I genuinely think it has helped.
It should definitely be prescribed or subsidised to make it more affordable for people who are on benefits.

Eleison

Eleison

Well, I walk to and from work most days - 30 minutes each way.

I used to dance, but now I just don't have the energy.

Aahbut

Aahbut

I walk miles most days, it's the best i can manage right now, it does brighten my mood up though.