• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Exercise – It Works For Depression

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
I think it can definately help if you can make yourself do it. I am unable to excercise for physical reasons now so mentally and physicaly i'm stuffed which makes my depression worse. Vicious circle :(

amathus

amathus

I think it can definately help if you can make yourself do it. I am unable to excercise for physical reasons now so mentally and physicaly i'm stuffed which makes my depression worse. Vicious circle :(
I agree exercise does help, but the problem is having the motivation to start with and then maintaining it..
that's usually my downfall!

meteos.

S

skyblue

Without a shadow of a doubt - Exercise works for Depression & much more !!

I don't mean to blow my own trumpet here, only I used to be in the England Team for Gymnastics, I left when I was 14 (trained 23 hrs a week), I'm 34 now.

Since then, I can hardly believe what I've done to my own body as in abusing it,.. alcohol (am a recovered alcoholic), street drugs for 10yrs, prescription drugs, self harm,.. etc etc. I started all this after I left because I couldn't handle life, I don't know what happend to me! OK - I've been through some horrific things, but still,.. why did I have to abuse myself like I did ?.. I have no idea. I have needed to escape,.. but jeezzz.. find a healthier way !! I get angry with myself because of all this.

Afew months back, before I became unwell again I started to work out down the gym everyday, it was my new form of escapism, just like how it did those years back. Now - I've let it all go again.

BUT - I'm determined to get back to it. I want to be successful again,.. what in ? I have no idea, what I do know is for the time being, I want to train to become a Fitness Instructor (& branch out) Combat Training is something I'm really interesting in, as well as the more mellow - Yoga, Pilates, etc, etc....

I love dancing and would love to teach.

I need to sort myself out again !!!

S

skyblue

I'm also so fed up with the med's, absolutely sick of them. I know people here have been on them longer, but 16yrs of prescription drugs is enough for me. I want to turn around and prove I can make it without all this rubbish inside me.

S

streetwisehercules

I also lost the will to exercise up until recently because I was so depressed. I put on over 2 stones over 2 years and became drug fat.

But in May this year I did a womens bootcamp, lost 5.6p pounds and regained the enthusiam for exercise. See link below if your interested: :)

http://www.fitfarms.co.uk/

S

skyblue

I also lost the will to exercise up until recently because I was so depressed. I put on over 2 stones over 2 years and became drug fat.

But in May this year I did a womens bootcamp, lost 5.6p pounds and regained the enthusiam for exercise. See link below if your interested: :)

http://www.fitfarms.co.uk/
Hi Street,

Since my post above, I have stopped taking all medication, as I've mentioned before I now stop taking the meds when I know an episode has finished as I start to feel absolute rubbish on them and I can't seem to get anywhere in life whilst unneccessarily drugged.

I feel great and am watching my diet, eating heathily and I'm back down the gym and swimming everyday.

I'm still heading for my goal - to work in the Fitness Industry, I have it all planned out, the exam courses everything.

Well done for managing to lose those pounds.

Take it easy and keep it going.
:)

R

root10

Before I became depressed, I had quite a good exercise regime, consisting of weights, press ups, sit ups, and plenty of walking. Even when I am feeling very lethargic, which is quite a lot of the time, I try to make the effort to exercise, even if this involves only a relatively short walk. It is sometimes difficult though....

J

jacobrock23

The effect of exercise on the brain is often overlooked in favour of its effect on the body, but it is so important for mental wellbeing. If you’re taking care of your body by exercising your mood is infinitely improved.

S

skyblue

The effect of exercise on the brain is often overlooked in favour of its effect on the body, but it is so important for mental wellbeing. If you’re taking care of your body by exercising your mood is infinitely improved.
This is the reason why I have chosen to work in the Fitness Industry, because of the way it makes me feel mentally. It's my new medication for sure and without a doubt works far better than anything else !