• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Excessive thirst,dry mouth from Lithium a SOLVED/remedy

T

The Water

I've been suffering from excessive thirst and dry mouth, and having to pee every 45 minutes for several years from my lithium side effects.
I had to drink about 6 gallons of water a day and it was torture.
recently about two months ago, i had the idea that i wasn't getting enough salt, and i tried this brand of salt i use
"redmond real salt" it's a pink salt from utah. but himalayan pink salt may work as well.
it seems to make a difference what type i use.
because i've tried celtic sea salt too and that didn't work very well.

but anyways i mixed 1/4 tsp of the redmond real salt with a glass of water and stirred it up till it dissolved and i drank it and my dry mouth and excessive thirst symptoms went away! i've also stopped craving pickles and salty food as much, i used to eat a ton of pickles!
so the amount of salt in my diet hasn't become excessive. i sweat a lot too i work out everyday i need it.
i also took a fasting lipids blood test 2 weeks later and everything was ok my doctors said.
it's been a HUGE relief not having to constantly guzzle and pee all day, it can't be healthy..

I've read that lithium competes with the absorption of electrolytes in the body and lithium can cause hyponatremia (low blood sodium(salt))
and that's real bad. and if you have too low of sodium in your body lithium levels can also become very toxic.

I've noticed it only takes 4 or 5 dashes from a salt shaker in a cup of water to help me get rid of those symptoms
I've read about a study where people that drank some salty water needed less water because the body retains more water and hydrates better when they did that.
This might help, just thought i should share this...

i'm not a doctor, consult your doctor, anything you do is at your own risk, always do your own research. :)

L

LadyDomino

If only it was that simple --- unfortunatly too much salt can be bad for you

A diet high in salt can cause raised blood pressure, which can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.

High blood pressure often has no symptoms, and many people who have high blood pressure do not know it.

How much salt?
Adults
Adults should eat no more than 6g of salt a day (2.4g sodium) – that's around 1 teaspoon.

(Facts taken from UK NHS website)

T

The Water

If only it was that simple --- unfortunatly too much salt can be bad for you

A diet high in salt can cause raised blood pressure, which can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.

High blood pressure often has no symptoms, and many people who have high blood pressure do not know it.

How much salt?
Adults
Adults should eat no more than 6g of salt a day (2.4g sodium) – that's around 1 teaspoon.

(Facts taken from UK NHS website)
I'm actually eating and craving less salt than i was when i was drinking a stinking tub of water every day.
peeing all day makes you lose sodium/electrolytes , and a diet too low in sodium can harm and kill you.
a diet too low in sodium can also raise lithium to toxic levels.
eating a good amount of salt can help keep that from happening.
people may need more than 1 tsp a day depending on how much they sweat.
when i'm not craving salt i don't eat it. people should listen to their own bodies when it tells them they need more or less. the way it tastes on the tongue and how you feel is a good indicator.
if i've ever felt off from eating too much i would cut back on it. but i don't over do it.
i listen to my body...
too much of anything can kill you. like water for instance...

T

The Water

and another thing, i just checked my blood pressure the other day and it was 126 over 80.
it has improved since before i started doing this. but i also started to take magnesium citrate recently.
magnesium helps blood pressure and the mag citrate makes me feel real relaxed. and doesn't cause diarrhea like other magnesium forms.
i've had hypertension since i was 13 and it has improved recently.
when i don't eat enough sodium my joints ache and muscles tend to cramp.
salt helps prevent joint pain.

R

rawlinsc

6 gallons!?!? I drank one gallon a day and my psychiatrist said that was too much.

T

The Water

6 gallons!?!? I drank one gallon a day and my psychiatrist said that was too much.
yeah 6 and most professionals think that is healthy or acceptable....from my experience.
welcome to the twilight zone

T

The Water

people should check out my profile to see my other threads i have more info that could help with mental illness.
i talk about what triggers my own symptoms.

T

The Water

i've heard you should drink about a gallon a day though if you are on lithium so your level doesn't get too high.
i drink 1 to 2 1/2 depending on how much i'm sweating/thirsty from working out and if my body is telling me i need more water or not.

L

LadyDomino

1 Gallon is equal to 3.785411784 liters, so 6 gallons surely would flush out any medication anf salt (as well as making you pee alot).

I was advised to drink about 3 litres of water/liquid per day. I then use sugar free sweets to keep my mouth moist.

T

The Water

1 Gallon is equal to 3.785411784 liters, so 6 gallons surely would flush out any medication anf salt (as well as making you pee alot).

I was advised to drink about 3 litres of water/liquid per day. I then use sugar free sweets to keep my mouth moist.
no it didn't flush out my meds. my doctor has always been happy with my blood levels.
and yeah drinking and peeing all day makes you lose electrolytes. as i already said..

artificial sweeteners like aspartme can cause all kinds of problems, like cancer for one.
and i'm sure you can also have excessive thirst without having a dry mouth..

but anyways! i hope this helps someone with an open mind!

T

The Water

i'm sure your doctors will be happy about that! thanks! i'm glad too!

T

The Water

not too long ago doctors were saying people should smoke cigarettes, and people were lighting up in the hospitals! LOL but hey i'm no expert!

R

rawlinsc

artificial sweeteners like aspartme can cause all kinds of problems, like cancer for one.
That is why I am trying to cut down and eventually give up diet soda and all stuff with aspartame.

T

The Water

That is why I am trying to cut down and eventually give up diet soda and all stuff with aspartame.
yeah when i quit drinking sweet or sugary drinks when i was younger i lost like 45 lbs in two months lol
and when i quit all caffeine drinks i had way more energy. it's bad stuff. really addictive physically and mentally.
if youre getting off of caffeine do it gradually, cold turkey from caffeine is awful! you could have a melt down..
and if you wanna talk about high bp caffeine is real bad for it..
coffee is another thing touted as being healthy by the pros . and everyone's a zombie until they get their fix. lol