• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Excessive Sleeping Help!

HLon99

HLon99

Dear all,

For the last few months I have been doing a lot better. About 5 months ago I was in the midst of a horrible mixed-state rapid cycling episode that nearly drove me off the wall. Since getting treatment my mood has been a lot better (with only some minor occasional dips into mild depression) and I have been stabilised on Lamictal 200mg and Aripiprazole 5mg. Initially the Aripiprazole would make me sleepy, but now I experience little to no side effects from the meds I'm on.

However, for the past few weeks I have been sleeping excessively into the early hours of the afternoon, 10-11 hours a day. My mood is fine, and I feel great on the whole, but the sleep issue is not going away. I go to bed at a normal time, around midnight, but cannot for the life of me get up before 10. Can anyone relate to this type of hypersomnia.

I read it could be a sign that an episode is coming? Anyone have any advice?

thanks in advance
-H

A

Another Maniac

Unfortunately, bad sleep is commonly associated with mental illness. I'm probably in no shape to give sleeping advice since my sleep at the moment is all over the place but I can't help myself.

Perhaps try to set an alarm for when you would like to get up for a couple of days until your body naturally gets up at that time. You may feel a bit groggy at first but as you adjust your body clock, your energy levels should line up too. Consistency is key.

Excessive sleep could be a sign of an oncoming episode, especially if it's been happening for awhile. If you're really worried about it and notice any other symptoms then you should get in contact with a health care professional - whoever is usually your first point of contact. I would go to a GP or if you had a case manager then let them know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Bipolar Forum 5
Clydol_17 Bipolar Forum 7