excessive piercings / tattoos are self harm?

P

phoebefantasia

So i got 4 new piercings today and my family think my piercings are a coping method to distract me from self harm. My step dad has been told by his psychiatrist that his tattoos are a form of self harm because he has so many of them. I'm very in love with piercings and I currently have 14 of them, but I don't know whether I personally think I'm harming myself?
What's everyone's thoughts?

Vanlife

Vanlife

I've had a few tattoos , and piercing .

The piercing , i much proffered to do them myself than having it done quickly/sort in regards to pain/high , my be that was a kind of self harm not sure , never really thought about until know .

i'm 51 , and only just got round to taking my last bit of steel out 3 years ago and got used to be naked in a sense .

BPDevil

BPDevil

if you are getting them to feel the pain then i guess

but if you get them because you just want them because they look good then no

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Some call it art, others call it self harm. It's just labels thrown around, nothing more!x

vanish

vanish

I was once told by my shrink that my tattoos and piercings were an acceptable form of self harm. I changed shrinks. I got them for reasons deeper than the pain. I have a large Phoenix on my leg because I too am to arise from the ashes. Personally I think tattoos and piercings are highly personal forms of self expression.

ThatSinkingFeeling

ThatSinkingFeeling

My gf and I both have a fair few tattoos and piercings (my gf especially). We acknowledge that it's definitely a substitute for self-harm and as we haven't harmed in a while (I haven't cut in over a year now), I'm definitely itching for it. A couple in one go isn't a worry to me - I'd have 2 per session on average. But if you're having say 4 every other day it could be an addiction and perhaps the feelings you get from it aren't enough. Honestly though I say just go with your gut feeling for now. I didn't body mod for years cause I overthought stuff like this and what others might think, until I just went with my desires and sense of identity (what little I have).

PinkCandyFloss

PinkCandyFloss

I think it really depends, I got my tattoos and piercings because I wanted them, not as a replacement for self harm.

Do I enjoy the pain of them? Yes to a degrees but, I am also into BDSM as I enjoy it that way too. It’s not just about feeling better. And I got most of my piercings and tattoos when I was in higher points in my life.

I think it’s an answer only an individual can answer, if you don’t think yours are, then they’re not. If you got them just to feel the pain and feel the relief you would get from self harm, then that’s different?

If that makes sense?