excessive piercings / tattoos are self harm?

P

phoebefantasia

So i got 4 new piercings today and my family think my piercings are a coping method to distract me from self harm. My step dad has been told by his psychiatrist that his tattoos are a form of self harm because he has so many of them. I'm very in love with piercings and I currently have 14 of them, but I don't know whether I personally think I'm harming myself?
What's everyone's thoughts?

Vanlife

Vanlife

I've had a few tattoos , and piercing .

The piercing , i much proffered to do them myself than having it done quickly/sort in regards to pain/high , my be that was a kind of self harm not sure , never really thought about until know .

i'm 51 , and only just got round to taking my last bit of steel out 3 years ago and got used to be naked in a sense .

BPDevil

BPDevil

if you are getting them to feel the pain then i guess

but if you get them because you just want them because they look good then no

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Some call it art, others call it self harm. It's just labels thrown around, nothing more!x

vanish

vanish

I was once told by my shrink that my tattoos and piercings were an acceptable form of self harm. I changed shrinks. I got them for reasons deeper than the pain. I have a large Phoenix on my leg because I too am to arise from the ashes. Personally I think tattoos and piercings are highly personal forms of self expression.

ThatSinkingFeeling

ThatSinkingFeeling

My gf and I both have a fair few tattoos and piercings (my gf especially). We acknowledge that it's definitely a substitute for self-harm and as we haven't harmed in a while (I haven't cut in over a year now), I'm definitely itching for it. A couple in one go isn't a worry to me - I'd have 2 per session on average. But if you're having say 4 every other day it could be an addiction and perhaps the feelings you get from it aren't enough. Honestly though I say just go with your gut feeling for now. I didn't body mod for years cause I overthought stuff like this and what others might think, until I just went with my desires and sense of identity (what little I have).