• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Examples of bipolar disorder

B

boffin1252

Hi there my therapist thinks I may have bipolar disorder. I have a mood diary to fill in. Currently been diagnosed with depression and anxiety on meds. Just wanted examples of bipolar disorder, to see if my moo

Zana

Zana

Suggest watching some documentaries; the Steven Fry two are very good and there are plenty of others on YouTube. When watching those I was taken aback by how much I related to some people's stories. You also get to see many different examples and how they cope (or in some cases not cope).

I had a real good look back over my life over the past 10 years - with family members and some friends - and the last 2 years were the most poignant. There were clearly periods of weeks to months where I was manic; unpredictable and full of energy, ideas and excitement OR high agitation and anxiety, which is just the worst as it led to some psychotic episodes. There were also long periods of bad depression (which is pretty much the same across all disorders) that started to get suicidal.

The craziest part for me at least is mania seems to present itself differently all the time and the cycle is speeding up. I explain some of my experiences in my first ever post on this forum: Bipolar Diagnosis Advice

By the way...props for reaching out. This forum is a really great place to gain information and get sound advice.

God bless and stay strong!

B

boffin1252

Thanks for that I will look for that tv program.

HLon99

HLon99

Dear boffin1252,

I have been stuggling with Bipolar Disorder for well over a year now so I know the signs.
I am mostly the depressive type. When I am depressed, it usually starts with trouble getting out of bed in the morning, no motivation to do the activities that I previously would enjoy, inability to keep up with life's demands. Then it usually progresses to feeling of shame/guilt, poor self-esteem and passing suicidal thoughts. The final stage is usually what I call 'zombification', when you wake up in the morning and your head is like in a fog, to the point that I find it difficult to think, let alone do anything. I would usually spend most of the day sleeping in this condition.

On the other hand there is (hypo)Mania. This usually starts with a sudden increase in energy and mood. When I am like this I initially feel happy and motivated. I suddenly start multitasking, starting projects, completing daily tasks and am incredibly productive. However, the pleasant feeling doesn't last. It soon progresses to irritability and anger. I may easily snap at a friend, a family member and a work colleague for little to no reason. I then begin to loose sleep, and stay up to the early hours of the morning. Physically you still feel fatigued, but its like your brain won't switch off. The energy continues to build up until you feel exhausted from it. The final stage is Mania, at this stage you may experience grandiose delusions and a feeling of invincibility. When I am like this, I am prone to spending exorbitant amounts of money, with little regard to consequence and do reckless things, for instance I once stole and crashed my parents car. You may also feel god-like. I was convinced that I was the uncrowned king of England and that I would ride into buckingham palace on a red Ferrari and claim my throne.

You may also experience mixed states, when you feel a bit of both or rapid cycling when your moods switch very quickly.

Hope this helps and let me know if you can relate to any of this

-H

B

boffin1252

I experience highs where I feel it come on slowly. I then start to feel sexual to the point where I pay for sex. Have ran myself into debt from this. Spend money on things I don't need. Buy steroids to make myself look better. I think that my work colleagues are planning on getting me fired.

Have lots of energy to exercise and do choir's. Think I should become supervisor at work. Think my partner is cheating on me. This last 2 to 3 weeks.

I then slowly feel myself going into depression. I reflect back and think why did I do that. Spent my wages. Think I'm useless what's the point of living. Think of ways ti kill myself. This lasts longer say 3 or 4 weeks. I might not have bipolar might be something else. I don't get full on delusions.

HLon99

HLon99

I experience highs where I feel it come on slowly. I then start to feel sexual to the point where I pay for sex. Have ran myself into debt from this. Spend money on things I don't need. Buy steroids to make myself look better. I think that my work colleagues are planning on getting me fired.

Have lots of energy to exercise and do choir's. Think I should become supervisor at work. Think my partner is cheating on me. This last 2 to 3 weeks.

I then slowly feel myself going into depression. I reflect back and think why did I do that. Spent my wages. Think I'm useless what's the point of living. Think of ways ti kill myself. This lasts longer say 3 or 4 weeks. I might not have bipolar might be something else. I don't get full on delusions.
Yep that sounds pretty much like bipolar. When I'm manic, I spend money without thinking about consequences, rack up credit card debt and get paranoid. Not everyone gets full on delusions. You really ought to speak to a doctor about this. Before I got diagnosed, this disease wreaked havoc in my life, to the point I had to drop out of college. I'm very glad I got help and I'm on track to go back in september now.

Wish you best of luck
-H

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Bipolar Forum 1
GuitarKidd Bipolar Forum 7
B Bipolar Forum 11
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 2
Jess96 Bipolar Forum 14