Everything matters

coldwater00

coldwater00

Here is an extract from Monica Cassani's article on the Mental Health Advocacy, News & Resources | Mad In America website. I thought it was quite beautiful and it resonated a lot with me.

"I see in retrospect that some core, vital part of me was always there during the drugged years, learning and remembering much that would help me in these years of coming off meds and now being med free. I no longer believe that I “lost” my life to drugs. I do think that it’s tragic that I could not be more conscious during those years and that my body became toxic, polluted and chronically, painfully ill; and this is why I help others learn to avoid what happened to me. Still, all my experience was not lost; in fact it was stored in my body to be processed when I got free of drugs. This is one of the many ways that psych drugs are agents of trauma. Part of the healing process, for me, and clearly many others who’ve been on psych meds and come off, is one of working through layers and layers of trauma — that which was incurred prior to psych drug use as well as that which is incurred as a result of psych drug use and exposure to the dehumanizing psychiatric system. I have done this mostly through meditation and yoga. Trauma becomes embodied. Embodied therapies are very important."

Full article here

http://http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/05/before-during-after-psychdrugs/

Real recovery is possible, just be wise about it.

R

Rose19602

Yes, that is a lovely article....and seemingly wise too.
I hope your own recovery is gaining momentum Coldwater. Last time we spoke I think you were trying to come off quite a cocktail of drugs and struggling with anxiety. I really hope things are improving for you.
x

coldwater00

coldwater00

Anxiety is still bad. It's part of my personality/trauma/brain damage caused by being over medicated. Am following a whole foods nourishing diet, exercising, and cutting out caffeine for the most part. Also have just started taking fermented cod liver oil to try and replenish fats in my brain that have been depleted with heavy neuroleptic use. Practising good self care and mindfulness, working closely with psychologist, going to local hearing voices group, reading/educating myself as much as possible. Trying to get a deeper understanding of it all and sort though the mess that my life ended up being. Starting accupuncture soon too. So far so good.

x

Last edited: