• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Everything fine on paper, still having anxiety

B

Byron

Hi everyone, I’m new here and I hope this is the right place to post this.

Before I start, I want to say that I realise there are people with far worse situations then mine here. I don’t want to vent or brag in this post, I just want to provide context.

I have been dealing with anxiety since 2017 I think. Since I couldn’t afford therapy, everything I did was self help. I’m not on medication and I have not been diagnosed with anything (mental health care costs where I live).

I did meditation, gratitude journaling, quit alcohol for a perriod of time, regular exercise and a lot of exposure to my fears. For example I can go to clubs and bars alone and sober which is something not a lot of “healthy” people can do.

My problem is, I STILL get anxiety. My sypmtoms range from dizziness, tightness in chest, shallow breathing, dry mouth, I get stiff, sick to my stomach, higher heart rate, sleep problems… I get this symptoms ussualy around noon and I’m fine in the evening.

There are perriods when I’m less anxious and perriods when I’m more anxious.

Triggers are random to my awarness… Sometimes I get anxious when I’m with my family or friends, other times when I’m reading a book or I just get a feeling I will go insane or that something terrible will happen out of the blue.

I also get depressed sometimes but I think I’m manageing that better. It’s like the other part of anxiety I think everyone can relate to.

My life generaly seems in order. I’m currently finishing my masters, I have a average job secured when I’m over. Financialy I’m ok. My romantic life is pretty ordinary or maybe a bit above I would think, a fling here and there but no serious relationships. I think I may have a problem developing this kind of relationships, but I’m not too worried about that now. My social circle is also pretty big and my reputation or status is also pretty average or a bit above.

So… Why the fuck am I still anxious? On paper everything seems in order, right?

I’m considering one monthly therapy session since it’s all I can afford, I’m reading a book on positive thinking right now, I’m also thinking about getting into trauma releasing exercises, but beyond that I’m clueless…

Any cluess, suggestions? If you need more context I’m happy to provide.

Yours, Byron

O

Orangeade

Hi everyone, I’m new here and I hope this is the right place to post this.

Before I start, I want to say that I realise there are people with far worse situations then mine here. I don’t want to vent or brag in this post, I just want to provide context.

I have been dealing with anxiety since 2017 I think. Since I couldn’t afford therapy, everything I did was self help. I’m not on medication and I have not been diagnosed with anything (mental health care costs where I live).

I did meditation, gratitude journaling, quit alcohol for a perriod of time, regular exercise and a lot of exposure to my fears. For example I can go to clubs and bars alone and sober which is something not a lot of “healthy” people can do.

My problem is, I STILL get anxiety. My sypmtoms range from dizziness, tightness in chest, shallow breathing, dry mouth, I get stiff, sick to my stomach, higher heart rate, sleep problems… I get this symptoms ussualy around noon and I’m fine in the evening.

There are perriods when I’m less anxious and perriods when I’m more anxious.

Triggers are random to my awarness… Sometimes I get anxious when I’m with my family or friends, other times when I’m reading a book or I just get a feeling I will go insane or that something terrible will happen out of the blue.

I also get depressed sometimes but I think I’m manageing that better. It’s like the other part of anxiety I think everyone can relate to.

My life generaly seems in order. I’m currently finishing my masters, I have a average job secured when I’m over. Financialy I’m ok. My romantic life is pretty ordinary or maybe a bit above I would think, a fling here and there but no serious relationships. I think I may have a problem developing this kind of relationships, but I’m not too worried about that now. My social circle is also pretty big and my reputation or status is also pretty average or a bit above.

So… Why the fuck am I still anxious? On paper everything seems in order, right?

I’m considering one monthly therapy session since it’s all I can afford, I’m reading a book on positive thinking right now, I’m also thinking about getting into trauma releasing exercises, but beyond that I’m clueless…

Any cluess, suggestions? If you need more context I’m happy to provide.

Yours, Byron
Hi Byron! Thank you for sharing your story! The way you’re feeling is valid and you shouldnt compare it to anyone else. I feel like anxiety doesnt need a reason, sometimes it gets the better of us. Im glad to hear you’re taking some steps to make yourself feel better and i hope it goes well! Do you think you could get anxiety medication to take? Are they affordable?? I would recommend taking them! Sending you a lot of love x

B

Byron

Thank you for your reply! I could afford the medication, but I try to stay away from that. I realy don’t want to be dependant on anything. Besides I can function normally with my anxiety, it’s not getting in the way of my school or work. I will consoult that option whit a therapist, when I get my first therapy though.

The part about feeling the way I feel being valid, that anxiety doesn’t need a reason struck a chord in me. Thank you again.

O

Orangeade

Thank you for your reply! I could afford the medication, but I try to stay away from that. I realy don’t want to be dependant on anything. Besides I can function normally with my anxiety, it’s not getting in the way of my school or work. I will consoult that option whit a therapist, when I get my first therapy though.

The part about feeling the way I feel being valid, that anxiety doesn’t need a reason struck a chord in me. Thank you again.
You’re welcome! Please let me know how you get on with your therapy, i would love to know how you get on :) x

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

Sometimes everything can be 'right' but we still feel anxious. Our emotions don't always mirror situations. Also, it may be that although everything is technically right, it's someone else's definition of right rather than your own. Worth thinking about.

I

IAMBLESSED

You begin by saying you realize there are persons worse off than you. I always feel the same way, like I'm not worthy to feel bad because my problems are pretty much non-existent. Maybe it's guilt that we're OK and fear that we're due for something to get us and thus our anxiety. Could be....